Direct Minimum Increase for DVC Perks Confirmed

Yep, and I definitely feel like that's a marketing trick.

This is also fuzzy math because it assumes 1) the AP will even come back at all, 2) that the family is going often enough to make the AP cheaper than single day tickets, 3) that they're not taking extra trips just to make the AP worthwhile, 4) that the AP will remain available, and 5) that it will always be a tangible discount.

It has been confirmed that DVC owners who are part of the current group eligible to buy...expired passes or canceled...are getting the DVC passes at DVC prices.

FL resident passes have already been confirmed as All back too,

For 100 points there were no incentives and Limited for 125
RIV $195 selling for $110
AUL $195 selling for $90
CCV $220 selling for $140
AKV $186 selling for $105

Etc....

First, most RIV are not selling for $110. But, SSR is selling for $165 and pretty much nothing under $100 is passing ROFR now,

So, one could get in for direct perks for $6500 extra. And, if the owner decided to rent the first year of points, even at $10/pt, that reduces further.

But, definitely other resorts the difference will take longer for sure. Family size matters and in my case, as people know, I bought with my adult children so from now on, they And their families will be eligible.

Right now, that is 7 people...8 if my daughter ever leaves or is laid off from Disney. That’s a good chunk of savings.

First, most RIV are not selling for $110. But, SSR is selling for $165 and pretty much nothing under $100 is passing ROFR now,

So, one could get in for direct perks for $6500 extra. And, if the owner decided to rent the first year of points, even at $10/pt, that reduces further.

But, definitely other resorts the difference will take longer for sure. Family size matters and in my case, as people know, I bought with my adult children so from now on, they And their families will be eligible.

Right now, that is 7 people...8 if my daughter ever leaves or is laid off from Disney. That’s a good chunk of savings.
I agree, the savings will still work out for some people.
The original point was, why are they raising the minimum at a time of economic uncertainty for millions of people without giving them any sort of incentive.
In fact the incentives were recently reduced

I agree, the savings will still work out for some people.
The original point was, why are they raising the minimum at a time of economic uncertainty for millions of people without giving them any sort of incentive.
In fact the incentives were recently reduced

IMO...and this is just a guess...because as a company they are doing a lot of things to ensure overall success and that for DVC sales, they are playing the long game and not the short one,

Yes, that extra 25 may prevent a current resale owner from adding direct when the perks are questionable.

But, for your typical first time buyer who buys when at WDW, that 25 doesn’t amount to a whole heck of a lot because many exceed it anyway...and if they don’t, and they are financing, you are not talking very much,

Sales since reopening have been pretty good given the current situation and I do wonder if it is even better than they expected, which could be why incentives were reduced,

I mentioned several times I just dont think they are that concerned in the next year with selling RIV when they can use those rooms to keep the 5 deluxe resorts that are closed, closed for as long as possible,

We here are big into understanding resale and the differences, but most are not and that is the audience I believe they are targeting.

I think they should keep raising the minimum, get it back to 200+. That way it might take away some of the pressure on studio availability.

Couple thoughts:
This isn't exactly the first minimum point increase, so not totally unexpected. That said, for most "new" purchasers, this is just a clear-cut way to increase revenue.
For a prospective buyer not well versed in the re-sale market (which is most buyers), there will be a segment of buyers who will just buy the minimum.
They will go on the tour, do the presentation, say "that sounds great... put us down for a minimum purchase."
The change from 100 to 125 minimum won't change the equation for most of those buyers. It effectively increases the minimum price by 25%. There will be some price sensitive buyers scared off, but overall this will likely generate more income from new buyers.
And Disney desperately needs revenue right now.

"Perks" are a great encouragement to buy new versus resale. But it's not surprising that they didn't announce new perks right now -- With the state of things, the logistics just don't work for most of the perks.
I fully expect a return of moonlight magic events, AP discounts.... And we may even see some new perks over time.

But a big part of that equation is the new re-sale restrictions. They are counting on those restrictions to push people away from re-sale, without the need to offer more costly perks. This strategy was somewhat complicated by the apparent cancellation/delay of Reflections. (In other words, a current resale buyer is only shut off from Riviera... Reflections would have doubled the number of shut out resorts).
If the re-sale restrictions aren't enough, alone, to push people to direct over re-sale, then expect to see perks increased. If, OTOH, the re-sale restrictions start to kill the re-sale market over time, expect other perks to be reduced.

Things like MM come out of marketing. Things like the AP pricing is a deal made with Parks and Resorts to offer to money. Similar to them selling third party brokers tickets at a discount.

Same with the discount on shopping and dining...those are not part of a marketing budget, but separate contracts for those,

So, DVD can work with other divisions to offer discounts without having to impact marketing. The reason things like MM have to come out of that is because they are run specifically by DVD and therefore, can’t use any money generated by dues since it’s not open to all members.

Thanks for the clarifications!

I think they should keep raising the minimum, get it back to 200+. That way it might take away some of the pressure on studio availability.

This is the highest it's been.

Better be a BIG BIG BIG super moonlight magic event for Blue Card holders after there is a vaccine!

They'll have the vaccine available at moonlight magic. Blue card holders only!

Copied from the DVC members benefits page -

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective October 19, 2020, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 125 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

This makes me laugh. It’s a global pandemic where economies around the world are struggling and they think they are going to convince people to buy more points directly for the very few perks they get. Can’t wait to see how this works out....

Reactions: ctl
I don’t think Moonlight Magic will be back for a long time, not because of a vaccine, but because I don’t think they will have a huge marketing budget to pay for it. They just laid off a bunch of DVC employees.

This is the highest it's been.

They'll have the vaccine available at moonlight magic. Blue card holders only!

It is the highest since the came out with blue vs white cards.But, when I bought in 2009, the minimum was 160 and when DVC first opened it was somewhere over 200.

Of course, prices were about half what they are now..

This makes me laugh. It’s a global pandemic where economies around the world are struggling and they think they are going to convince people to buy more points directly for the very few perks they get. Can’t wait to see how this works out....

Remember, the average first time buyer most likely already buys that and those that don’t, won’t be deterred by that I don’t think,

In 2009, the minimum was 160.

The away things are going right now, the best perk might be getting the points right away!
So. True.
I realize it doesn’t make monetary sense but wow is it nice to have those points immediately instead of in 3-4 months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter