DIrectTV now

Gumbo4x4

Note to the ladies who forgot to
Anyone using this? Can I get my locals? What about localized Fox Sports covering my home team?

My DISH setup is having some issues & it's become too expensive anyway, so I’m looking for options.

We have Direct and we have the local channels. Not sure about the Fox Sports since I don’t watch sports that much.

It took awhile to get them though When they first offered them to me, the “locals” were the networks from like Washington DC or some such. Very much NOT local. We kept that for awhile until I realized we were paying extra for it so I called them back and got the actual local channels. Now I don’t pay extra.

Strangely enough I've got DISH and Comcast. DISH is just a regular package. Streaming through DISH Anywhere is only through the satellite receiver, so of course that's key - especially if there's a connection issue at my satellite box or it's not working for some reason. But my wife somehow decided to go with a new Comcast package (with a internet based receiver that we haven't installed) but where it has HBO. We've got both now.

I suppose it's pretty similar in that there are local channels as well as certain cable channels. I can stream those and get on demand video with my username and password with both DISH and Comcast. I don't have any Fox Sports channels now, but our local cable sports outlet has changed names/affiliation/ownership over the years - from SportChannel, Fox Sports Bay Area, Comcast Sports Bay Area/California, and now NBC Sports Bay Area/California. They're generally available directly streaming via internet from the source with my DISH password. If you've got the proper subscription, you should be able to be able to stream it through Fox Sports GO without going directly through DirecTV/AT&T.

Some of these streaming apps are kind of funky. I was at my BIL's house on Christmas Day when I wanted to watch the Warriors-Cavs game. I could have just streamed it on one of my devices through my DISH receiver at home, but we fiddled around until we could somehow get ABC through his Amazon Fire TV box. He doesn't have any cable/sat package, but did have Comcast internet. I think it might have been through ESPN3?

We have DirectTV Now and we like it. We get all of our local channels but I'm not sure about Fox Sports. We have the medium sized package, not the smallest one, but it still saves us a lot every month over cable. I also like that I don't have to deal with a cable box and I don't have to worry about a "promotional" rate ending, which is what happened like clock work every 12 months when we had cable. If the price of DirectTV Now goes up, I'll cancel and have another streaming provider installed in a few minutes with no hassle.

We have DirecTV Now, and we love it. We have just the basic $35/month package and get local channels, but I'm not sure about Fox Sports. It's a big savings over what we were paying for cable. We were having some trouble with the sound at first, but now that we have a new firestick it works great. They recently updated their app and added DVR capabilities. They even gave us a $75 credit towards our bill in case we had to buy a new firestick to handle the new app. I would definitely recommend them.

It all depends on your location on what local’s you get. In Austin we only get ABC, CBS and Fox, no NBC, PBS or CW nor other locals.

YouTubeTV is the bomb!

The DVR is way better then any other streaming service.

The channel package is very sports oriented.

I mentioned streaming apps. I looked it up, and DirecTV Now does allow for direct access through network websites and streaming apps. So you wouldn't need to go directly through whatever DirecTV app/website in order to view content where you have a subscription for a particular channel through DirecTV Now.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-u...and-mobile-apps-with-your-DIRECTV-NOW-account
With DIRECTV NOWSM your User ID and password allow you to access many network websites and their respective mobile apps.

First time visitors to a network's website/app may be required to fill out a profile in order to stream. When prompted, select DIRECTV NOW from the list of service providers and authenticate by using your account credentials.​

What makes the YouTubeTV's DVR better than any other streaming service?
1. Unlimited. I have over 1000 movies recorded. 300 series passes. If I even think I might want to watch something I record it.
2. Seven month retention. If a recorded show airs again in the 7 month period it is recorded again and the seven month retention starts over.
3. Home groups. You can add 5 other users and they each get their own private unlimited dvr storage pool. Their own season passes, etc. It is like they have their own account.

Last edited:
I mentioned streaming apps. I looked it up, and DirecTV Now does allow for direct access through network websites and streaming apps. So you wouldn't need to go directly through whatever DirecTV app/website in order to view content where you have a subscription for a particular channel through DirecTV Now.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-u...and-mobile-apps-with-your-DIRECTV-NOW-account
With DIRECTV NOWSM your User ID and password allow you to access many network websites and their respective mobile apps.

First time visitors to a network's website/app may be required to fill out a profile in order to stream. When prompted, select DIRECTV NOW from the list of service providers and authenticate by using your account credentials.​
Seems like an unneeded step backwards. Having to use multiple apps. YouTubeTV integrates all the on demand content from all their offered channels into their app. No need to jump from app to app.

Seems like an unneeded step backwards. Having to use multiple apps. YouTubeTV integrates all the on demand content from all their offered channels into their app. No need to jump from app to app.

Don’t have to use multiple apps. But I’m thinking it could be useful. Sometimes the provider service doesn’t work with server issues. For my Comcast video, I can get all access through Comcast’s site/app, but I have the option to use direct channel apps.

DirecTV Now can only have to devices running at once and YouTubeTV can have up to 5 devices running at the same time. So if you may need more than 2 devices going at 1 time I'd go with YouTubeTV.

DirecTV Now can only have to devices running at once and YouTubeTV can have up to 5 devices running at the same time. So if you may need more than 2 devices going at 1 time I'd go with YouTubeTV.

Ah, that could be an issue. We rarely have more than 2 going at a time, but in Winter, my dad will log into my account to watch STL sports that he can’t view on his TX account.

Ah, that could be an issue. We rarely have more than 2 going at a time, but in Winter, my dad will log into my account to watch STL sports that he can’t view on his TX account.

That's why I suggested perhaps using those websites/apps, since they don't necessarily use up a "master license" that counts against the total number of uses. That's Fox Sports Midwest, correct. Have you seen if your current service account can be used on the Fox Sports GO app? If it can, then it should also work with DirecTV NOW.

That's why I suggested perhaps using those websites/apps, since they don't necessarily use up a "master license" that counts against the total number of uses. That's Fox Sports Midwest, correct. Have you seen if your current service account can be used on the Fox Sports GO app? If it can, then it should also work with DirecTV NOW.

Yes, that’s how he watches through my current DISH account, with the app.

Yes, that’s how he watches through my current DISH account, with the app.

Yeah - I've got DISH myself with a 4 year old Sling Hopper box. Sometimes when I have issues logging in with my DISH account getting into those outside services (I've used Fox Sports GO, NBC Sports, ABC, TBS, WatchESPN, Pac-12) I try using DISH Anywhere. But of course that goes directly to the receiver and requires that everything is working (dish, receiver, and home internet) and any use will use one of the 3 tuners on my receiver. I've had them max out when someone was watching TV at home and/or I was recording a couple of programs.

I'm not sure how those individual apps keep track of anything except that one is logged into a channel's app through the service account.

Okay, so I’m now in my 7 day free trial of YouTube TV. Watching the Cardinals game. I’ve got it going through the app on my iPad, playing on the TV via the Roku stick. Picture is not great. Basically looks like I’m on the non-HD channel. Roku stick is several years old & wondering if I need to upgrade. $40/month for all the channels “I” like, so if I can get a better picture, this would work great.

Still need to figure out how to make this work on the smart TV’s (we have 2), and on this one via the Roku wihout the iPad. I’m assuming we’ll need more gmail accounts to watch on additional devices.

Okay, so I’m now in my 7 day free trial of YouTube TV. Watching the Cardinals game. I’ve got it going through the app on my iPad, playing on the TV via the Roku stick. Picture is not great. Basically looks like I’m on the non-HD channel. Roku stick is several years old & wondering if I need to upgrade. $40/month for all the channels “I” like, so if I can get a better picture, this would work great.

Still need to figure out how to make this work on the smart TV’s (we have 2), and on this one via the Roku wihout the iPad. I’m assuming we’ll need more gmail accounts to watch on additional devices.

Gumbo, when I did the YouTubeTV free trial a couple of months back I had a fine picture.

I have never had picture quality problems with YouTubeTV and have subscribed for over a year now. On two TVs I use the YouTubeTV app on the Roku. On the other TVs I use a chromecast.

You can have three streams going simultaneously with the same login. Even though you can share your account with 5 others, you are still bound by the 3 simultaneous stream limit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter