Dis Dining show minor complaint/suggestion

Beer Me

DIS Veteran
First, I love all of the Dis shows, especially the dining shows. Love Pete and the talented crew who work hard to make it all happen.

So now the gripe. Please take it constructively as I think it would improve the shows.

Please review the menus before you arrive and learn how to pronounce the dishes before the camera is pointing at you. Fiasco and Steve especially can be painful to watch when they struggle with pronunciations! Why do they do this to themselves? Google it and listen to someone say it. It takes 10 seconds. If you still have trouble, so be it, but at least you will be in the ballpark.

Ok, that is all. I really do love the shows and wish everyone the best.

Hahahaha! I think it adds to the authenticity. And adds a little humor. But I can see how some would find it "cringey" (stole that word from my 10-year-old and I love it).

I do think it is great to have a variety of tastes that make up the show and this is part of why I love the reviews. I don't really care what the actual career food critic thinks. I'm an ordinary person with pretty ordinary taste buds. I want to know what some regular people think!

I can understand how a mispronunciation can happen. You can say a word perfectly in every day life but when a camera is pointed in your direction and you are trying to give a detailed reviewed while trying to hit the bullet points in your head, there is a chance for error.

Then again, there is a Disney vlogger (not part of the Dis) who can't pronounce a great deal of things such as food, places, etc. Ironically this person thinks quite highly of themselves which has made it go from cringey to just amusing.

First, I love all of the Dis shows, especially the dining shows. Love Pete and the talented crew who work hard to make it all happen.

So now the gripe. Please take it constructively as I think it would improve the shows.

Please review the menus before you arrive and learn how to pronounce the dishes before the camera is pointing at you. Fiasco and Steve especially can be painful to watch when they struggle with pronunciations! Why do they do this to themselves? Google it and listen to someone say it. It takes 10 seconds. If you still have trouble, so be it, but at least you will be in the ballpark.

Ok, that is all. I really do love the shows and wish everyone the best.

It’s almost like this is the first time this complaint has come up...

... oh wait

I would rather they not even try to pronounce it, rather than completely butcher it. Regardless of the reason WHY this is such a problem, it comes off as very unprofessional, at best. Just use layman's terms to describe the dishes if you must. Of course, that will require some studying up on typical restaurant/food terminology. If you are going to put out a regular dining show, do a little bit of homework. Google is your friend here. For example, in the Citrico's review, all they needed to do was Google "profiteroles" to see that they are cream puffs. Then, just call them cream puffs in the review. Easy peasy. Instead we got a bunch of back and forth of how to pronounce this one stupid word.

Last edited:
It’s almost like this is the first time this complaint has come up...

... oh wait

Apologies if I’m beating a dead horse. I’ve been around these boards for awhile but didn’t realize it was a common topic.

It’s just that I watched the Citrico review last night and it really stuck out a few times. It seems like it would be a simple thing to address that would improve these vlogs.

I will admit it was pretty bad when Fiasco couldn’t pronounce Le Cellier..

That may have been what put me over the edge. I almost wonder if they aren’t just screwing with us at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with ya, not that it's a problem or takes away from the enjoyment, but maybe do a tiny bit of research in advance.

On the other hand, it is also the same experience I might have as a first timer at a restaurant. But I would google the menu right away lol.

I guess the question is - do we want a slick presentation or do we want an "every day person" visiting a restaurant and giving their honest reactions? If I had to choose, I'd take the latter. I prefer the real people-ness of the DIS over any other vloggers out there.

The mispronunciations make me chuckle, so I'm okay with those. :)

My one hope is for the team to find a better way to record audio for the dining videos. Holding up a phone during their review (and sometimes passing it around to others) is a little clunky and distracting. The recent Citricos post is a good example of that. Would everyone having a lavalier/lapel mic that plugs into their phones/digital recorder work? I know you're at the mercy of the ambient noise in these places, but curious if @Teleclashter or @Ryno have looked into alternatives, or if this is really just the best option?

I thought the recent Toledo review worked well as you had "Every people" Steve and Fiasco mispronouncing things but then Deni was there to correct them. This way people get correct info (in all forms) but still makes the restaurant seem super approachable to everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely won’t say that it bothers me, but I notice myself cringing a bit during the mispronunciations too!

While I agree that it adds an element of authenticity and makes the items on the menu seem more approachable, I think what makes it cringey is that whoever mispronounced the item knows they “butchered” the pronunciation but didn’t take the time to learn how it should be pronounced. I love the dining shows as much as everyone else, but it’s definitely become a common theme in each show with a few notorious offenders :rotfl2:

I'm with ya, not that it's a problem or takes away from the enjoyment, but maybe do a tiny bit of research in advance.

On the other hand, it is also the same experience I might have as a first timer at a restaurant. But I would google the menu right away lol.

I guess the question is - do we want a slick presentation or do we want an "every day person" visiting a restaurant and giving their honest reactions? If I had to choose, I'd take the latter. I prefer the real people-ness of the DIS over any other vloggers out there.

I definitely appreciate the “everyman” aspect and don’t want or expect a perfectly polished presentation but it just seems like a pretty easy issue to improve on. Low hanging fruit.

I’m not always familiar with things on a menu but if I don’t know what it is or how to pronounce it I ask the server or else look it up.

I definitely appreciate the “everyman” aspect and don’t want or expect a perfectly polished presentation but it just seems like a pretty easy issue to improve on. Low hanging fruit.

I’m not always familiar with things on a menu but if I don’t know what it is or how to pronounce it I ask the server or else look it up.

To me it’s one thing to not know how to pronounce everything on a menu based on cuisine from another country. Not knowing how to pronounce the name of the restaurant you claim is your favorite? That’s just a lack of effort and to a certain extent credibility.

Profiteroles were a staple of UK pub dining in the 70s. The menu was usually cold prawns with a gloupy pink Marie Rose sauce or melon, steak (everyone ordered well done in those times so think shoe leather) and either profiteroles or Black Forest gateaux. Luckily most UK restaurants are too embarrassed to list these puddings on the menus now. Highly amused that they appeared on Citricos menu. There is no need to learn how to pronounce the word. Just avoid them.😂

Profiteroles were a staple of UK pub dining in the 70s. The menu was usually cold prawns with a gloupy pink Marie Rose sauce or melon, steak (everyone ordered well done in those times so think shoe leather) and either profiteroles or Black Forest gateaux. Luckily most UK restaurants are too embarrassed to list these puddings on the menus now. Highly amused that they appeared on Citricos menu. There is no need to learn how to pronounce the word. Just avoid them.😂
Or just buy them frozen from Iceland for a couple of quid. 2 hours defrost time and you have a solid dessert lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!