Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

We bought dinner service for 6 (dinner and salad plates), a serving platter and a carafe.

The salad plates are displayed on my hutch. The serving platter hangs in my dining room and the carafe is on a shelf in my living room.

The dinner plates are stored with cardboard between them.

They are too nice to actually use them. :ssst:

My house looks like the ceramic store showroom.

I love their stuff.

We have a platter that we use for antipasto.
Two deep bowls that we use for spaghetti and pastas.
Two salad plates for regular salads.

I think we use some combination of the above at least twice a month

After doing some research I decided that for our first meal in Rome is going to be Porketta at Er Buchetto. This is a 4 minute walk from Boscolo Excedra Roma and a 12-4 minute walk from Hotel Bernini Bristol
Er Buchetto,
Via del Viminale 2 F, 00184 Rome, Italy
+39 329 965 2175
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d2084834-Reviews-Er_Buchetto-Rome_Lazio.html
https://www.yelp.com/biz/er-buchetto-roma

o.jpg
o.jpg

I'd like to get some Venetian Glass. Any suggestion of what and where? I'm am NOT a big tchotchke or knick-knack fan. We always had a "no souvenirs" rule at WDW with the exception of T-shirts which had some use. A vase? Wine glasses would be well used. Although I do need a new chandelier for the dining room I can't imagine what my DH would say if I got something like this, which should be familiar to just about everyone.
dcl-chandelier.jpg

Real Venetian is expensive and it’s best to do a lot of research ahead of time

A lot of what you’re going to see are well made Chinese imports that are cheap knockoffs.
Even some of the shops on Murano sell the knockoffs.

You’re best bet is to go to one of the glass blowing factories and buy directly from them

Hi Folks. FYI...we were informed today by our Rome touring provider that the Vatican is now closed Friday, March 23...just in case anyone had plans to visit that day. the eight of us are now trying to adjust our plans. :/

Hi Folks. FYI...we were informed today by our Rome touring provider that the Vatican is now closed Friday, March 23...just in case anyone had plans to visit that day. the eight of us are now trying to adjust our plans. :/

Thanks for the update - is it just that date? I know a number of us have a tour planned for the morning of Saturday the 24th

Thanks for the heads up! Going to try and swap our tour dates and see the Vatican Thursday and the colosseum on Friday.

Thanks for the update - is it just that date? I know a number of us have a tour planned for the morning of Saturday the 24th
As far as I know. We actually switched into the Saturday morning 3/24 tour, and our guide confirmed. So...I'm going with no news is good news and (for now at least) we are good to go for Saturday a.m.

I was able to get my tours swapped, the folks at Dark Rome (City Wonder) were still waiting on official word from the Vatican for Friday but advised me to change the dates I had booked. I asked about Saturday and they hadn’t heard anything about a closure on the 24th, so I would imagine Saturday folks are good to go

As far as I know. We actually switched into the Saturday morning 3/24 tour, and our guide confirmed. So...I'm going with no news is good news and (for now at least) we are good to go for Saturday a.m.

I was able to get my tours swapped, the folks at Dark Rome (City Wonder) were still waiting on official word from the Vatican for Friday but advised me to change the dates I had booked. I asked about Saturday and they hadn’t heard anything about a closure on the 24th, so I would imagine Saturday folks are good to go

great, thank you! And perhaps we'll have a few more DIS friends with us on our Saturday tour now!

Real Venetian is expensive and it’s best to do a lot of research ahead of time

A lot of what you’re going to see are well made Chinese imports that are cheap knockoffs.
Even some of the shops on Murano sell the knockoffs.

You’re best bet is to go to one of the glass blowing factories and buy directly from them

I have a tour booked that will take me to a glass factory. I'll buy something there I'm sure but what I have no idea.

Just realized that we don't have any transfers booked yet (airport to our hotel, hotel to ship on sat, and ship to airport in Venice - return flight is at 10AM so need to be off early) and was wondering what tour companies folks recommend? It's just my wife and I so looking for something fairly reasonable.

Just realized that we don't have any transfers booked yet (airport to our hotel, hotel to ship on sat, and ship to airport in Venice - return flight is at 10AM so need to be off early) and was wondering what tour companies folks recommend? It's just my wife and I so looking for something fairly reasonable.

We use www.Blacklane.com.

Ive used them all over the world and have never had an issue.

Only you can decide if they're reasonable. I think they are, but more importantly, I think they're reliable and thats invaluable.

On the recommendation of a fellow traveler, we are using:

Www.romeinlimo.com

Their prices seemed reasonable and reviews I read were positive.

We’re using them from the sotto the hotel in Rome and then to the port on Saturday.

I would suggest using the Viking transfer in Venice if you’re going directly to the airport on Saturday

Kevin can help you with that

Thanks for the input everyone - concur with the idea of using Viking in Venice since we are just going to the airport from ship (and early).

we too are using Blacklane in Rome - I thought it was very reasonable and their website is very professional and they have been quite good with getting back to me to answer questions, etc.

As for in Venice form the port to the airport (as we are going straight, not staying over) we aren't set yet but will probably just use the viking transportation to keep it simple - not really sure of other options

Viking ship to airport transfers are $49 per person.

If you wish to add these, you will need to submit credit card info.

I will back on Monday, if you’d like to do this.

Thanks Kevin - that actually seems quite reasonable! Will contact you early next week. Safe travels!

For the Rome transfers it sounds like another highly rated company is romecabs (tripadvisor).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter