DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic 7/29 - 8/3/18

With our trip quickly approaching, I can’t even put into words how excited I am for this experience! Disney seems to ooze out of every pore :) With the exception of my husband and youngest son, there’s nobody else around me that is remotely a “Disney Nerd” I cant wait to share this adventure with like minded Disney fans. If I could eat, sleep, breath, and work Disney, I would, lol!!!! Excited to meet everyone

My husband did it 5 years back. He enjoyed it, saw some live sets, I think had front of line access for each ride once. Was disappointed didn’t get to see the clock tower from back to future (closed off that day), but had a great time. If going at a busy time, unlikely to go back soon, and don’t mind spending the $, he would recommend it. :)

You beat me to the question Hockeygoofy...DH & I were thinking the same thing. Unfortunately we couldn't get a flight in until Saturday so we will be going first thing Sunday morning. Really leaning towards the VIP tour because, I figure that if this is a trip of a lifetime we mind as well go all in!

You beat me to the question Hockeygoofy...DH & I were thinking the same thing. Unfortunately we couldn't get a flight in until Saturday so we will be going first thing Sunday morning. Really leaning towards the VIP tour because, I figure that if this is a trip of a lifetime we mind as well go all in!
We are going Saturday and we ended up getting the unlimited express pass. The VIP was just going to be too much money for the four of us. If it was just me and my wife, I would have gotten the VIP.

was just on the Disneyland website https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ and noticed my Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservation was linked. for some reason that excites me.
It's showing an amount due but I'm not worried about that. I figure ABD will take care if that soon enough.
It's getting closer :goodvibes

Last edited:

Hi Everyone!! Just waned to introduce ourselves, I'm Michelle and my husband is Brandon. We're so excited to be going on the trip. And it's coming up so soon :yay:!!! This will be our first time at DL and also our first ABD. All of our friends and family don't get our disney nerdism, so we're really looking forward to being around some like minded people.

I’ve taken this ABD a few times (embarrassed to say exactly how many), but this will be my first as a solo traveler. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so LA isn’t that long a haul for me, which is probably why I’ve been on this particular trip so many times.

If you have any questions about the tour, please feel free to ask!

Sandy
Ok, one more FastPass question please :). For the times we are on our own in the parks (not the last day) what kinds of FastPasses have people received? For example, do you get like a bunch of paper FastPasses? Do you get a VIP lanyard? Something else? I’m trying to be laid back, but feel I need some sort of plan for park touring :).

Ok, one more FastPass question please :). For the times we are on our own in the parks (not the last day) what kinds of FastPasses have people received? For example, do you get like a bunch of paper FastPasses? Do you get a VIP lanyard? Something else? I’m trying to be laid back, but feel I need some sort of plan for park touring :).
They were paper Fastpasses. And, remember (according to a post on the ABD forum), you can add MaxPass to your ticket. The ABD guides don’t recommend it (per post mentioned above), but it’s an option.

They were paper Fastpasses. And, remember (according to a post on the ABD forum), you can add MaxPass to your ticket. The ABD guides don’t recommend it (per post mentioned above), but it’s an option.
Thanks, I’m thinking I will add MaxPass, I know I can’t until we get there, I just like to plan/scenario plain. So, if we get 2-3 FastPasses for our own time, that would be awesome, but I would still add MaxPass. If we get unlimited FastPasses, then I wouldn’t (although actually since photopass is included maybe I would anyway :).

No packing here either, since we are driving,I just finished our itinerary, Walt Disney Hometown Museum followed by Red Cliff Lodge, followed by Forrest Gump photo spot at Monument Valley then on to Disneyland Hotel for 3 days of fun and activities before the REAL FUN starts with Backstage Tour! Oh, by the way did I mention it is our 40th anniversary and we finish with a visit to the Field of Dreams! ......Is this Heaven? No, It is Iowa! See everyone in FantasyLand (& Hollywoodland! )

Have you started to pack?
I keep reminding myself to bring the cash for the guides’ tips with me. I don’t like using non-bank-affiliated ATMs and never have the time to find a real bank during these tours. Since it’s just me this time, it’s not a huge amount of money to keep track of, especially since the BSM tour is on the shorter side, as ABDs go. Still, I wish ABD would let us charge the tips or would build them into the price.

Have you started to pack?
I have started collecting some random items I don’t want to forget in a pile in my suitcase and have already bought my toiletries. And I have both an Amazon order and a Hot Topic order being delivered this week that I’ll add to the mix. My goal is to get more organized this weekend! Time is flying! :dumbo:

I keep reminding myself to bring the cash for the guides’ tips with me. I don’t like using non-bank-affiliated ATMs and never have the time to find a real bank during these tours. Since it’s just me this time, it’s not a huge amount of money to keep track of, especially since the BSM tour is on the shorter side, as ABDs go. Still, I wish ABD would let us charge the tips or would build them into the price.
I keep thinking about the tipping of Mousekeeping in particular. The guide says we don’t need to worry about tipping drivers, housekeeping, baggage handlers, and the like, but there’s no indication of how much they receive and I’d like to know it’s an appropriate amount. I plan on bringing extra cash for that as well (in addition to that for our guides) just in case. Does anyone happen to know how that works with regards to the non-guide tips?

I keep thinking about the tipping of Mousekeeping in particular. The guide says we don’t need to worry about tipping drivers, housekeeping, baggage handlers, and the like, but there’s no indication of how much they receive and I’d like to know it’s an appropriate amount. I plan on bringing extra cash for that as well (in addition to that for our guides) just in case. Does anyone happen to know how that works with regards to the non-guide tips?
I don’t know how much Disney contributes, but I give housekeeping $5/night.

My guess is that ABD does NOT tip housekeeping. I once read an article (either on the DIS or one of those 'other' sites) about tipping in Disney/in general. As I understand it, housekeeping is not one of those typical "tipped" jobs (i.e. where the employee may make less bc they are expected to be tipped) and tipping them is entirely optional (nice to do if you want to). So if you want Mousekeeping to be tipped, most likely you will need to do it. I would bet that baggage, drivers, waiters, (anything else that is a job that relies on tips) are all taken care of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!