DIS Exclusive Northern Italy / Switzerland Adventure August 26th - September 2nd 2016

I think I am going to pre-night in Milan. Trying to decide to either do some post nights in Zurich or head back to Rome (which I've never been).

William

Trying to decide to either do some post nights in Zurich or head back to Rome (which I've never been)
Difficult decision. You may see enough of Zurich through ABD (but you may not either) so if you've never been to Rome, then that might be the better choice. We were in Rome a couple years ago on the Viva Italia ABD trip and the city is really awesome. Have you thought about how to get there from Zurich? Train?

Difficult decision. You may see enough of Zurich through ABD (but you may not either) so if you've never been to Rome, then that might be the better choice. We were in Rome a couple years ago on the Viva Italia ABD trip and the city is really awesome. Have you thought about how to get there from Zurich? Train?

I was thinking of flying to maximize my time in Rome.

I think I am going to pre-night in Milan. Trying to decide to either do some post nights in Zurich or head back to Rome (which I've never been).

William

I'd vote for Rome. And I'd just fly. We're flying back to Milan to spend some post nights. We'll be doing our pre-nights at Lake Como.

Any thoughts on things to do in Rome as you did the Viva Italia? I was thinking Vatican and it assoc chapels/museums, and Ancient Rome (some of the hills, Forum, coliseum). I've read lonely planet and Rome seems huge so I am trying to narrow it down a bit. Are some things worth doing again at night? Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Will

What to do in Rome - wow, where to start?

The Vatican is a big draw and you could easily spend a full day there. Since we did it with ABD we didn't have to wait in lines but the general public does. I'd look into the whole ticket/tour situation there before you leave home.

I also enjoyed our visit to the Colosseum, and the adjacent part of of old Rome (excavated to Julius Caesars days and before) but again, you may want to have a tour guide to explain it all to you. Of course, you need to see the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

My wife and I also walked from the ABD hotel to several of the Rome neighborhoods just to take it all in. We stopped at a couple of little restaurants in a few pre-days in the city. Our hotel was the Bernini and it was an easy walk to the Borghese gardens. We also did a twilight culinary tour of the Trastevere region of the city. On the way over there we walked across a bridge that Julius Caesar walked on. We had wine in a wine cellar that was excavated down to 100 BC. And we had some wonderful food! This was the company we used for the tour. http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/rome/

We thought it was important to not only see the historic part of Rome but to also sample the current culture of the city. For us that involved stopping for wine and nibbles at various places while we walked - and the occasional gelato. Oh, and of course we stopped in some shops along the way. Leather was a popular thing in the city. Perhaps not as big as it is in Florence, but still...

Found a few interesting tidbits about Switzerland that may be of use:

Work prevents us from going on the trip but we were in Italy and Switzerland a month ago so I'll offer my thoughts and they can be ignored, heckled, or ridiculed.

We certainly saw plenty of places in Switzerland which took Euros but if they took them, it was on a face value equivalent basis. So if an item cost 100 Swiss Francs, you could by it for 100 euros. With the Swiss Franc hovering around a $1 and even the depressed Euro being 10 to 15 cents more, it didn't make much sense to use Euros. And then there is the fact that the Swiss Currency is so pretty.

As to electric plugs, I found that Milan seemed to not be able to make up its mind about whether to use the 2-pin (type F) or the 3-pin (Type L) plugs.
type_f_large-150x130.jpg
type_l_large-150x130.jpg

Our Milan hotel room used both and they are not interchangeable. Our hotel in Venice was uniformly the 3-pin.

Tips might not be expected but they were always welcomed. Only our hotel's housekeeper refused to take the Swiss Francs we left for her.

If you do any motorway driving in Switzerland make sure the rental car comes with a toll sticker. http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014

I am getting so excited about this adventure, and about exploring with old friends and getting to know new ones along the way! This will be a great group. Half of the rooms are single travelers this time- love it!

So...who is bringing a selfie stick? :duck:

Hi everyone! I am just checking in! We are getting so excited for this trip! We are spending our pre-night at the hotel in Stresa instead of Milan - is anyone else? After the ABD we are flying from Zurich to Paris in order to visit Disneyland Paris for the first time! Yay! So any tips for DLP that might be different from how you manage the parks in the U.S.? Also, I would love suggestions on where to eat both in the parks and at the resort (staying at the Disneyland Hotel) so if anyone has opinions, please pass them along! Looking meeting new friends and seeing some old friends again!

My husband Chuck and I will be in Stresa for the prenight as well, we arrive in Milan on United around 8:30 am.
It would be great to see fellow travelers

Chris

Came home tonight, and it is always an exciting sight to see the "box" on the front steps even if it is a little wet from a summer shower.

Cathy and I are doing our prenight in Milan, third time to Italy but first time to Milan.

Hi everyone! I am just checking in! We are getting so excited for this trip! We are spending our pre-night at the hotel in Stresa instead of Milan - is anyone else? After the ABD we are flying from Zurich to Paris in order to visit Disneyland Paris for the first time! Yay! So any tips for DLP that might be different from how you manage the parks in the U.S.? Also, I would love suggestions on where to eat both in the parks and at the resort (staying at the Disneyland Hotel) so if anyone has opinions, please pass them along! Looking meeting new friends and seeing some old friends again!

We're staying on Lake Como for a couple of pre nights so we're pretty close. I'm also heading to DLP in a week with my son. I've been there once before for a day trip from Paris, but it's my first time to stay at the parks. We're staying at the DL Hotel. We have reservations for Remy and Walt's. I've seen mixed reviews on Walt's so I'm not sure whether to keep it. I too would be interested in hearing anyone's recommendations for DLP.

I am revisiting Florence then on to Milan for a couple of nights. Visited DLP for the first time this year. Look at the refurb list because they are preparing for a big anniversary. I was there about a month after the accidental death at phantom manor so it was still down while I was there. The security measures are a little different. Your luggage is scanned at the Disneyland hotel. The resort is "fenced in" so one you are thru security you are done.

I am excited to meet everyone.

Chandra

After the ABD we are flying from Zurich to Paris in order to visit Disneyland Paris for the first time! Yay! So any tips for DLP that might be different from how you manage the parks in the U.S.? Also, I would love suggestions on where to eat both in the parks and at the resort (staying at the Disneyland Hotel) so if anyone has opinions, please pass them along!
Lets be sure to chat while on the trip. Val & I, along with Kathy, John & Kevin (and perhaps a few others on this trip) did DLP last year after our river cruise.

I've seen mixed reviews on Walt's so I'm not sure whether to keep it. I too would be interested in hearing anyone's recommendations for DLP.
We enjoyed Walt's when we were there. Perhaps the best restaurant in the parks.

However, avoid at all costs the character buffet in the DLP Hotel. Really bad food and incredibly poor interaction from unidentifiable characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!