DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

I'm joining in as well. I have a lot of work to do with my household clutter, get some more activity to be ready for a Disney trip, and I need to clean up my eating because of gastric reflux. I like the idea of dealing with household organization in little bites, I think it will help with motivation. And clearing out the junk food and replacing it with fruit and veggies will be a great start in the kitchen.

I'm joining in as well. I have a lot of work to do with my household clutter, get some more activity to be ready for a Disney trip, and I need to clean up my eating because of gastric reflux. I like the idea of dealing with household organization in little bites, I think it will help with motivation. And clearing out the junk food and replacing it with fruit and veggies will be a great start in the kitchen.
View attachment 461727

Welcome!!
Hugs
Mel

About saving for Christmas: I used to put a little away every paycheck BUT when the summer came and CPP and EI had been maxed, I would take the amount that was now not being taken from my paycheck and immediately put it in a separate Quicken (virtual) account. My savings for Christmas was totally painless because I was used to having those amounts taken from my paycheque. Another benefit-I never got used to the extra money, so when January came along, and payments were back as deductions, I never felt the impact that those who got used to the extra money did.

Along with another round of organizing and decluttering, my goals for this year are to drink more water and to continue (once I get back on track after the holidays) to exercise 3-5 times a week.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure no one here will be blabbing the dates but hubby would pitch a fit if he knew I'd shared :rotfl2:

We never post on social media when we are going away. You just never know who will take advantage of that info and break into your home. When we get back, I post all of my pics and share at that time.

Some things I want to commit to right off the get-go for 2020:

Go to bed by 10pm vs 11pm (I get up at 6am and need more sleep!);
Drink more water during the day (I am currently super dehydrated and not feeling very well from it);
Drink less caffeine (see above);
Try to be more positive and not let all of the little annoyances build up in me!

We never post on social media when we are going away. You just never know who will take advantage of that info and break into your home. When we get back, I post all of my pics and share at that time.

Some things I want to commit to right off the get-go for 2020:

Go to bed by 10pm vs 11pm (I get up at 6am and need more sleep!);
Drink more water during the day (I am currently super dehydrated and not feeling very well from it);
Drink less caffeine (see above);
Try to be more positive and not let all of the little annoyances build up in me!
I do NOT post details about when we're away anywhere other than here, in small controlled groups but now you have me questioning even that -- off i go to remove any specific details <sigh>

Sleep for me means not going to bed until i'm almost asleep otherwise i dwell on the fact that I'm not sleeping --I'll be trying to start my bedtime routine earlier though so that is happening before 2 am! That makes the 4:15 alarms extremely brutal :P

2020 is off to a lazy start! But I guess that's ok :) It is still nice to look around the main floor of the house and not see a bunch of work to do. Though the dog has now spread his toys from one end of the house to the other lol. My arms are a bit sore from the shoveling yesterday, that snow was heavy! Especially the stuff at the end of the driveway.

Kiddo made two new years resolutions yesterday, he wants to be a better football player (he's never actually played) and he wants to better control his anger. We fight about that a lot, at 10 I think he should be able to not break things when he gets mad, and yet he does, then he beats himself up about it. Which perpetuates the cycle. So my resolution is to work harder at staying calm during his outbursts and not making it worse. Which is a big struggle for me too.

I have to admit it's nice to see others on the decluttering train, makes me feel like I'm not such an anomaly. Just to my family of minimalists I guess! My parents don't keep things so perhaps I do because of that. Who knows. I do need to keep the momentum going though, if I want to have a lot gone before we move. I'd rather not have to pack it and move it. But not today :) Today is a relaxing day and I will start again tomorrow. Perhaps an hour or two every weekend. I know I can get a lot done in an 8 hour day, so I'm sure I can do as well breaking it up over a few days. I'd like to get the guest room done (it's the dumping ground of stuff we don't use any more or have grown out of in the case of kiddo), then the basement, and then our rooms which are the smallest pieces at this point. I may set up a pick up from the Diabetes association though I don't like their affiliation with Value Village, it is certainly the easiest way to get rid of stuff.

This year is about Change. I start a new job in a few weeks (same employer, different location and work), Jackson will not need daycare any more soon (waiting for the worst of winter to be over so he won't have to walk to school in the super cold), and we hope to move to a new place. I need to add some exercise/walking/yoga and better eating habits to that. More veggies, less chips :) More water, less coffee. And the prize at the end is a cruise! Where we will climb Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. I went on a cruise with my parents close to 30 years ago and my dad climbed the falls, I didn't and have always regretted that so this will be making up for it. I can't wait.

As with most people, there is a lot of hidden clutter in my home. I plan to work at decluttering in small, manageable chunks - one drawer, shelf or closet at a time. The biggest pieces will be the attic and garage and those will have to be divided into sections. Garden planning will be done while it is still too cold to work outside. I'm continuing on my Weight Watchers journey and looking for ways to add more activity into my routine. Happy and healthy New Year everyone!

@hdrolfe , if you're doing you clean up/purge in smaller bits. Just take this weeks stuff and put it in the trunk. Then drop if off at Sally Ann, or where ever on your way home from work on Monday. It gets sorted and its gone within a day or two.

(Merivale south of Meadowlands has the Salvations Army, St. Vincent de Paul and Value Village all within reach of each other)

I need to up my water intake as well. Coffee I've limited it to a cup and a half in the morning before work. I know on the weekends though I'll end up caving and having one in the afternoon here and there, especially while watching my son's hockey games.

This weekend I plan do so some prep work on Sunday for healthy eating during the week. Also, I need to get back on track with getting stuff my kids can make for dinner and have them do one dinner a weeknight each. Tired of coming home some days when they've been home a couple hours earlier and hearing what's for supper??? But that's my fault too as I haven't been grocery shopping much other than running here and there last minute quickly because we've been so busy. Same with hubby. He likes to cook no problem but he decides last minute he wants to make a lasagna or something, then goes to our local grocery store and buys everything all at once to make it (without checking if we've got what we need at home!!). So I need to ask him what he'd like to make so I can pick everything up on sale the weekend before! I find we're blowing through money too fast because I'm not planning ahead with meals.

@momof2gr8kids, when I make my grocery lists, I also have a days of the week list for meals. That way I'm not buying irrelevant food for the week. DH does our dinner meals, so usually consult with him on meats for the week, then I do the sides. Long gone are the days of just putting whatever you feel like into the cart. Lists and my phone calculator are must-have tools for me to stay on budget.

Over the holidays we got my DD11's room all cleaned out and organized. Bought her a desk and storage tower from IKEA (Alex line), modern chair from Structube and funky desk accessories from Staples (STB). I still have to make a Value Village run for old toys, but that is easy to do. Cleaning is the hardest part.

I had noticed in the parking lot of my Sobeys store they have donation bins. I had a bunch of clothes from the family to donate and I was off to VV. I noticed these bins were for the IWK Hospital! It was clothing donations for families in need staying at the hospital. So glad I found them as I really hate contributing to VV.

I'm going to clean my oven tomorrow, spray it with easy off tonight and let it soak. Has anyone ever taken the inside of the stove door off to clean between the glass? I REALLY need to do that!

I'm in too, I need to get back in shape for our 2 week trip this summer! 12000-14000 steps a day is going to be hard if I don't start getting in better shape now! I also did some clean up this weekend - kids drawers have been overflowing, so stuff was ending up on the floor, plus they got new clothes for Christmas! Went through everything with them, threw out the stuff we holes, and donated 5 bags of clothes! Now all their clothes fit them and the drawers! :)

I'm in! We are heading to Florida in 6 weeks and I need to build up my walking endurance and hopefully lose some weight so all that walking will be easier. I have been paying for my online Weight Watchers subscription for a while, time to put that $13/month to good use again! I have already been to the gym twice this week, I am aiming for 3-4x per week to begin with.

I'm in this. I have about 40lbs I want to lose. I joined weight watchers for the first time. It was on sale with no starting fee, so we'll see. Scouring pintrest and recipes for healthy options. My biggest pitfall is salty snacks at night.

I'm in this. I have about 40lbs I want to lose. I joined weight watchers for the first time. It was on sale with no starting fee, so we'll see. Scouring pintrest and recipes for healthy options. My biggest pitfall is salty snacks at night.

Not sure if you drink pop/soda, but I typically drink a diet pop in the evening instead of eating snacks. I don't eat after 6pm/dinner time either. It's hard the first week, but just take one day at a time.

Over the holidays we got my DD11's room all cleaned out and organized. Bought her a desk and storage tower from IKEA (Alex line), modern chair from Structube and funky desk accessories from Staples (STB). I still have to make a Value Village run for old toys, but that is easy to do. Cleaning is the hardest part.

I had noticed in the parking lot of my Sobeys store they have donation bins. I had a bunch of clothes from the family to donate and I was off to VV. I noticed these bins were for the IWK Hospital! It was clothing donations for families in need staying at the hospital. So glad I found them as I really hate contributing to VV.

I'm going to clean my oven tomorrow, spray it with easy off tonight and let it soak. Has anyone ever taken the inside of the stove door off to clean between the glass? I REALLY need to do that!
If you're driving near Bayers Lake the Souls Harbour Mission thrift store takes clothes and household items, and all profits goes to the Souls Harbour Mission. VV has better hours but I prefer to give to a local charity when possible.

I need to up my water intake as well. Coffee I've limited it to a cup and a half in the morning before work. I know on the weekends though I'll end up caving and having one in the afternoon here and there, especially while watching my son's hockey games.
I've switched my afternoon coffee with herbal tea and I like it so much I often have another in the evening. It can be inexpensive, Sobeys sells a large box of peppermint tea bags for about $2, and you can get an extra large from Tim's and McDonalds for about $2 each if you're on the go. Even the gas stations with coffee bars seem to have herbal teas available. And I always take some sleepy time tea bags when I travel.

I've switched my afternoon coffee with herbal tea and I like it so much I often have another in the evening. It can be inexpensive, Sobeys sells a large box of peppermint tea bags for about $2, and you can get an extra large from Tim's and McDonalds for about $2 each if you're on the go. Even the gas stations with coffee bars seem to have herbal teas available. And I always take some sleepy time tea bags when I travel.
I use tea leaves and I found that Bulk Barn has decent green tea, night time tea, and others. I have tea infusers a'plenty, but you can also get tea bags to put the leaves in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter