DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

It is going to be a difficult weekend for me. The boy broke my laptop and it cant repair or reset so now it is simply unusable. I am so upset and feeling bad. I have ordered the showstopper one from TSC, ironic it was on last night. In pink. It is smaller than I really wanted but a good price and I can pay for it in 12 equal amounts. But now I want to eat all the food, and yell at him which wont really help anything. And all he will do today is watch YouTube. So I am off to Shoppers for 20x the points, and food basics for some veggies, and I will try to stick to the plan. And force him off the electronics. I may need some coffee or chocolate before I attempt that though.

At least the weather looks nice out, sunny but probably cold. It is supposed to be above 0 this week coming, so I look forward to the snow melting and being able to get out for walks.

It is going to be a difficult weekend for me. The boy broke my laptop and it cant repair or reset so now it is simply unusable. I am so upset and feeling bad. I have ordered the showstopper one from TSC, ironic it was on last night. In pink. It is smaller than I really wanted but a good price and I can pay for it in 12 equal amounts. But now I want to eat all the food, and yell at him which wont really help anything. And all he will do today is watch YouTube. So I am off to Shoppers for 20x the points, and food basics for some veggies, and I will try to stick to the plan. And force him off the electronics. I may need some coffee or chocolate before I attempt that though.

At least the weather looks nice out, sunny but probably cold. It is supposed to be above 0 this week coming, so I look forward to the snow melting and being able to get out for walks.

There will be better days ahead Hon!
I remember having my home all ready for sale and the Real Estate agent on her way over when two of my darlings play fighting burst into the master bedroom sending the doorknob through the drywall and also causing a huge drywall indentation. I must have cried for hours and then I got very mad. I ground them for a week (which is not always fun for the parent) then we had a family meeting,,,
I took money away from their planned holidays and made them sit on the carpet the entire time the contractor took to repair the wall. The contractor was great,,took his sweet time and chastised them frequently. I took a course at college a few years ago called positive parenting/positive teaching,,,most of it was based on Natural and Logical consequences we face for our actions.
Maybe every month you take to pay for the new laptop he could/should also have to contribute in some way.
Keep strong and carry on as you are doing well!
I'm also hoping for some Spring like weather here.
Hugs
Mel

Just back from a Rexall shop. I'll put the $10 coupons into my vacation fund so no AM but the equivalent of 200AM. I picked up some Rexall brand Aloe Vera gel. It was the last thing on the shelf. I came home and eyeball measured 1/3 gel, 2/3 rubbing alcohol. Gave it a shake and it's not half bad as a home made hand sanitizer. A little sticky until it's dried and you can smell the alcohol until it dries but that way you know it's working (I guess).

I think I'll be taking some gel with us in case of sunburns and it can do double duty with a quick mix if needed.

Last edited:
Just back from a Rexall shop. I'll put the $10 coupons into my vacation fund so no AM but the equivalent of 200AM. I picked up some Rexall brand Aloe Vera gel. It was the last thing on the shelf. I came home and eyeball measured 2/3 gel, 1/3 rubbing alcohol. Gave it a shake and it's not half bad as a home made hand sanitizer. A little sticky until it's dried and you can smell the alcohol until it dries but that way you know it's working (I guess).

I think I'll be taking some gel with us in case of sunburns and it can do double duty with a quick mix if needed.
Just make sure you get the proper ratio of gel to alcohol .. eye balling won't cut it in this case if you want the stuff to actually work. There are just as many articles from experts saying NOT to make your own sanitizer as there are recipes for making the stuff. You need to make sure your final product still has an alcohol content above 60% and without accurate measurements you have no way of knowing if you've done this. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this but felt i need to point out that it just smelling like alcohol isn't enough and will lead to a false sense of security.

Stepping down from the soap box of a retired pharmacy tech!

Ugh time change... Man it's early! It was dark when driving in to work today! At least the moon looked super cool. I was surprised kiddo went to bed fairly easily last night.

The weather looks to be nice today, hopefully it's still sunny when I get home and the rain hasn't started. I took the dog for a walk yesterday and it was nice to get out in the sun! Weather permitting we'll do that again today. He was a bit muddy at the end of it but that's ok. I am glad I only have this one week until March Break, I can use a vacation, and some extra sleep!!

Stuck to the points over the weekend, Friday I used a good portion of my weekly ones but that was the only day last week I was over target so I feel good about it. It was a long weekend with no computer, kiddo watched youtube on his phone all day. I got to use the main TV which was nice. I did a scavenger hunt for Jackson to find his phone, made him run up and down the stairs a few times any way. He refused to go for a walk with me and the dog, apparently it's too boring.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and is all set for a nice week.

Hi everyone. I'm late joining in. I procrastinated all of January and February but finally, finally dragged my butt off to the gym again for March. My son kept asking when I was going to sign him up and go. The hardest part was working out WHEN! He can't go early morning and is in school until 2:20 pm. He won't go without me. Neither of us want to go after dinner. After my last shift (3:55 pm) I need to come home and make dinner. So that left picking him up from school at 2:20. We can spend 30 minutes on the treadmill or ellipitcal; I can change clothes; drop him off at home and be at the school with a few minutes to spare before my 3rd shift. I use to spend a full hour on the treadmill but I can't figure out how to work that in. As the weather gets warmer, I think I'll just go out each evening for a half hour walk.

It's been too long since I was on a treadmill. Even though without it I'm getting 10,000 steps in daily, my left calf is protesting. Sore, tight and tingling. Hopefully it works itself out by the end of this week. Today the tingling went into my toes as well.

Got back on the treadmill today (finally). I was under the weather last week so I'm back at it now. Theoretically I'm off to Florida in 6 weeks so I need to get my walking legs back in shape. I hope to be able to ramp up to a second walking session each day next week.

I was just telling DH about my biggest fear about this Covid-19 situation and travelling. I said with my luck I'll be at the airport getting ready to fly and will have to go through one of those fever monitors. At that exact moment I will be experiencing a hot flash and they will think I have a fever. I will have to explain that I am menopausal and that if they only wait 15 minutes my "fever" will be gone.

A little Covid humour for the day.

I have a friend in South Korea and she was visiting some place and they have the temperature scans, well it's at the top of a large flight of stairs so she was a little warm by the time she got to the top... it worked out in the end though.

I did lose about 5 lbs since Christmas. I was getting discouraged eating healthy, cutting down a lot on sugars, exercising, and not seeing the scale move at all for about a month after initially losing a few Christmas pounds right off the bat.

Hubby hasn't been motivated to go to the gym much, plus he's a shift worker and works nights sometimes - so I find it harder to motivate myself to get there. He will walk outside, but sometimes I need to kick it up some more. I'm getting in at least 12,000 steps a day - I try and do at least a 40 min power walk after work, but I really need to do some weights again.

I see people post on FB their workouts and all the "No excuses" posts, but with my job that has me at meetings in evenings, my mom (pallative with cancer), my family, my grandkids I sometimes want to spend time with, yeah sometimes I have no energy left. Right now I think yeah, I should get my butt to the gym. But sometimes I just want to chill and bask in the silence of my house while everyone else is sleeping, drink coffee (with cream and sugar!) and surf the disboards. LOL

Later I'll go to the gym!!

I really don't like those " no excuse " posts/groups. In reality...life is messy and we just can't fit everything in, with out busy days. It's great for those who want to focus on the " no excuse" and get their workouts in...but what else is pushed aside for them to get that. With all that is going on in your life...you have set your priorities to be there for your family. At the end of the day...if that makes your heart happy...just do that!!!!

And in all honesty...your family will remember all these times that you spend with them and make them a priority...no one is ever going to say " wow, she was so dedicated to making sure she was in her best physical state at all times " For me, I would rather be remembered for being able to come visit my dd and the grand baby...and my daughter rememeber that her momma got up in the middle of the night while she was visiting to feed my grand daughter so her momma could get a full night of sleep and have more patience with a newborn...than making sure that I get my full nights rest so that I can fit in a workout instead of catching a few extra winks :flower: What other's may perceive as an " excuse " is all in the eye of the beholder. Remember, when you point a finger at someone else...there are three pointing right back at you :rolleyes1

At least the weather looks nice out, sunny but probably cold. It is supposed to be above 0 this week coming, so I look forward to the snow melting and being able to get out for walks
That really sucks!!!! I know I was able to snag another laptop on FB. There is a local bidding wars page...and people will sell their items to the highest bidder. I have now snagged 2 laptops on there. I never paid more than 150.00 for either one. They are not top of the line computers...but they are not old...have good sized processors and work for us to put our pictures on, back up phones, download some apps we need, and other every day things. With me needing to use the laptop for college and the son still needing one occationally as well, we were always fighting over it. So it just make sense for us to invest in another one. And if the older son actually goes to college in the fall, he can have one of these ones, and I'll be on the hunt for another one. But I do see lots of laptops for sale on FB marketplace.

I hope that your ds is able to maybe help out in small ways to help "repay " for it. We have done the same with our boys. Parenting is hard :o some days. I hope that the ww is going good for you!

Things have not changed much here. Still just super busy...and finding it hard to fit in some extra movement. I had started going to our local Crappy tire ( we have the largest single storey crappy tire in Canada ) and just power walk all the isles. It was working out good...but now I will start to need to come home and let our elderly dog out at lunch times. He has been having more accidents in the house lately. So I'm hoping that will help him so we don't have to clean so many messes up in the house. The joys of having an elderly dog. He's 14 and has dementia. So we know his days are numbered.
Other that lunch times, I really don't know when else I can fit in some time for fitness. And yes I could get up earlier in the mornings to fit it in, but I also am studying until 10:00 or 11:00 each night...and full 8 hrs on both days during the weekend if not more when the hubby has sports on the tv lol. So I tend to stay up until around 11:30 just to unwind from studying, I guess I just value some of my own unwind time for myself. Oh well, I will have so much free time once my classes are done in May...and I'm down to one job. I will have so much time I won't know what to do with myself. :lmao:

Last edited:
I really don't like those " no excuse " posts/groups. In reality...life is messy and we just can't fit everything in, with out busy days. It's great for those who want to focus on the " no excuse" and get their workouts in...but what else is pushed aside for them to get that. With all that is going on in your life...you have set your priorities to be there for your family. At the end of the day...if that makes your heart happy...just do that!!!!

And in all honesty...your family will remember all these times that you spend with them and make them a priority...no one is ever going to say " wow, she was so dedicated to making sure she was in her best physical state at all times " For me, I would rather be remembered for being able to come visit my dd and the grand baby...and my daughter rememeber that her momma got up in the middle of the night while she was visiting to feed my grand daughter so her momma could get a full night of sleep and have more patience with a newborn...than making sure that I get my full nights rest so that I can fit in a workout instead of catching a few extra winks :flower: What other's may perceive as an " excuse " is all in the eye of the beholder.

I really feel this. There are so many aspects to good health that get swept away in the “no excuses” talk. What about mental health? What about relationships with family and friends? What about pets and kids and anyone else who depends on you?

I failed at a big physical goal I set for myself recently (running a half marathon in disney) and it was hard and sad. But I also got to feel sad about it in disney. I got to go on a 3-generation vacation, and watch my toddler’s face fill with the magic of it all. Running the race would have been a great feeling and memory, but seeing my toddler meet donald was a great one too. Finding and celebrating joys of all kinds makes for a much happier and fulfilling life.

The laptop I ordered Friday shipped yesterday and was out for delivery today. So I stayed home, Canada Post is never great for me but I figured if I am home at least it wont get stolen. Planned to walk the dog after it arrives, get some steps and fresh air. Suddenly tracking says they are verifying the delivery address? Wth? Call and they verify my address, it is right, but now they cant say it will arrive today. But no worries, it doesnt need a signature so they will leave it if I am not home tomorrow. For someone to steal I am sure. Stupidly I am really upset about this. I am mad that the old laptop was broken, mad at CP for every parcel they have shipped me in the past year. Every time there is a problem. I feel like the delivery person sees mu name and causes problems. I am scared to go for a walk in case they show up now.

I hear you on that one. The first laptop I ordered before Xmas (lost by Canada Post) never was delivered. Laptop #2 arrived on a Sunday two days before they had it out for delivery. It was a good thing I was at home because, like you, I would have been worried having it sit at the door all day.

Can you leave a recycling box at the door for them to put it into?( Assuming tomorrow isn't recycling day) That way it wouldn't look like a valuable delivery from someone driving by on the street.

I never thought of that, thanks. I know it is stupid to be this upset about something like this. At least I haven't eaten a bag of chips. I was tempted by the creme egg mcflurry though I haven't yet had one. I did take the dog for a walk, itbis colder than I thought but the sun was nice.

The laptop I ordered Friday shipped yesterday and was out for delivery today. So I stayed home, Canada Post is never great for me but I figured if I am home at least it wont get stolen. Planned to walk the dog after it arrives, get some steps and fresh air. Suddenly tracking says they are verifying the delivery address? Wth? Call and they verify my address, it is right, but now they cant say it will arrive today. But no worries, it doesnt need a signature so they will leave it if I am not home tomorrow. For someone to steal I am sure. Stupidly I am really upset about this. I am mad that the old laptop was broken, mad at CP for every parcel they have shipped me in the past year. Every time there is a problem. I feel like the delivery person sees mu name and causes problems. I am scared to go for a walk in case they show up now.
I hear you on that one. The first laptop I ordered before Xmas (lost by Canada Post) never was delivered. Laptop #2 arrived on a Sunday two days before they had it out for delivery. It was a good thing I was at home because, like you, I would have been worried having it sit at the door all day.

Can you leave a recycling box at the door for them to put it into?( Assuming tomorrow isn't recycling day) That way it wouldn't look like a valuable delivery from someone driving by on the street.
I never thought of that, thanks. I know it is stupid to be this upset about something like this. At least I haven't eaten a bag of chips. I was tempted by the creme egg mcflurry though I haven't yet had one. I did take the dog for a walk, itbis colder than I thought but the sun was nice.

It's not stupid to be upset, not at all! It's stressful when we spend our hard earned money on products only to have shipping screw up and/or someone steal the items off our door front. I hope you get your package.

Ottawamom -> that's a great idea! I'll have to remember that.

Now all you have to do is get Canada Post (or whoever) to put the parcel in the box)

I left work early and was home around 12:30, parcel was delivered at 12:12. It was still there when I got home so I have a lap top again! I love the pink colour, it is smaller than my old one, doesn't have the little extra number pad but it works. Now to keep the boy off it... He has been doing well without the gaming actually, he still watches way too much YouTube, but he's been taking a melatonin at 7:15 and in bed by 8:30 (his choice) and asleep before 9!!

I am done work until after March break, I just needed a day to myself. Hopefully kiddo will still agree to go to school tomorrow.

Took the dog for another long walk, I kind of needed the extra points as I did not exactly eat a very good lunch, and had a donut this morning. Back on track with eating tomorrow and going forward. I still have weekly points so I guess I'm ok, been using the fit points. Any way!

Hope everyone is doing well, and staying healthy. This Covid thing is starting to get real. With a couple cases in Ottawa now, and a message at work that one of the buildings has people who came in contact with people who may have it... well I'm glad I'm off work for a week! We'll be spending a lot of time at home I guess. I am reasonably happy now that I cancelled my March Break cruise in December, I don't have to decide now at the last minute what to do.

DS asked last night if we could go to FreshCo this morning. I looked at him and asked if he was crazy. I said sure if you want to go right at opening. I'm not standing in those lines later in the day.

His girlfriends Birthday and his are later this week and he wanted to get a cake. We are celebrating his birthday tonight and having strudels for dessert. (last minute change to get the birthday party in)

DH and I went and got the cake. We apparently had just missed the opening rush and the store was still well stocked and relatively empty. Came home and told him that we got the cake. Did he want to drive it over to his girlfriends? The cake wasn't for her afterall. He just wanted to have a birthday cake to put the candle in. My heart just melted. (here, all my 23 year old wanted was a cake and a candle and didn't want to put pressure on me to do it).

I told him I'll bake him a big cake later in the week (when it's actually his birthday) and that we'll get his favourite burgers in for dinner.

Remember to watch your kids (no matter what age). They are feeling all this too and only want a normal life to go on.

Thanks for the reminder ottawamom
I am struggling with allowing Ryan to come over to my place right now,,he and his wife have been sick with cold/flu and(doctor said viral)...but I just feel very vulnerable right now,,rough time to be 60 yrs old.
Yesterday he called and said mom I'll wear a mask and gloves and hand sanitize,,,I said I love you hon but let's wait 3 more days until your feeling 100%. Broke my heart.
He was ok but I could tell he's stressing,I try to find a special picture to email to him.
Life does go on even if it's a bit different right now.

Hugs Mel

No one is getting in this house with a cold (except DH and DS that live here). As it is everyone entering will be asked to go directly the powder room and wash their hands. I don't care if they washed just before they got in the car. Thems the house rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!