DIS medical quesiton ahead

wvjules

DIS Veteran
Is it possible to get a stress fracture in your tibia from every day activity?

My shin has been hurting for a few days. It's localized and directly on the bone , nothing like shin splints. The only other thing Dr. Google has come up with is a stress fracture. But I find that unlikely since I have done no running or anything that would cause it (other than wear a higher than usual pair of heels the other day - coincidentally the pain began that night.)

What say you, DIS?

I'm not running off to the actual doctor just yet. I'll give it a few more days. I'm walking with a visible limp. :(

ETA: The heels were 2"(or so) wedge shoes, so not high heels.

Last edited:
I have gone to bed feeling fine and woke up unable to turn my neck.

So I say anything is possible.

My shin has been hurting for a few days. It's localized and directly on the bone , nothing like shin splints. The only other thing Dr. Google has come up with is a stress fracture. But I find that unlikely since I have done no running or anything that would cause it (other than wear a higher than usual pair of heels the other day - coincidentally the pain began that night.)

What say you, DIS?

I'm not running off to the actual doctor just yet. I'll give it a few more days. I'm walking with a visible limp. :(

I've had what I might call bone pain in my shin, sometimes pretty intense, but it usually goes away in a day or so. I doubt it's a fracture if you haven't done anything to fracture it.

What say you, DIS?

High heels can cause shin splints too, so it's more likely that than a stress fracture. But Dr Forum and Dr google are unreliable, so if trying typical shin splint remedies doesn't help go see a Dr of the warm blooded variety :)

OP, I feel like I have been stalking you, but I really do think I have a stress fracture from running. Again, self diagnosed and mine is closer to where my shin hits my ankle and a bit to the side. I have been limping and it is very stiff after sitting for awhile. I know, I know, but I have been nursing it for a couple of weeks now, thinking it will heal. Once it starts to feel better, I do run on it (because I am stubborn) and then I am back to square one.

I need to go to the doctor, but I fear getting a boot and being told no activity,

My son had double stress fractures in his shins when he first started cross-country. He honestly thought he had REALLY bad shin splints. They kind of felt the same. Difference was that he could get no relief from them with the usual remedies.

While I know it may feel like it is a "bone" issue, it is most likely a strained tendon that you. Right now I have an inflamed posterior tibial tendon but it feels like my inside ankle bone has been bruised.

Those wedge heels may have put your foot in a weird position and caused some sort of tendinitis in the front of your shin. No matter what it is, there's really nothing to be done for it but the usual RICE if you want or nothing at all.

What say you, DIS?

ETA: The heels were 2"(or so) wedge shoes, so not high heels.

What does the x-ray report say? Only real way to definitively diagnose any bone fracture.
Good luck. :flower1:

Last edited:
I fractured my fibula a few years ago from just walking for exercise (usually 3 miles a day). I couldn't believe it when my doctor called to say the X ray showed a fracture. It healed without any problems and I went back to my daily walks. I still don't know how I did it.
Denise

I guess, cause I used to get injured playing ball, now I get injured sleeping wrong

I had a stress fracture in my shin as a kid, It was a dull, deep ache that throbbed. You can fracture bones doing everyday activities if your bones are not strong, so yeah, it's possible. I'd give it a few days and if it doesn't improve with rest and ice or heat, go get it checked out.

I had a stress fracture and didn't do anything out of the ordinary to cause it other than routine walking. I ignored the pain until I couldn't stand to walk on it anymore because I thought I just pulled a muscle. The ortho doctor said repetitive activities can cause stress fractures...go get it x-rayed.

Stretch your calf muscle out by standing on a stair. I'm a runner and I find that when my calves get tight, my shins will hurt. Which can lead to the stress fractures. High heels can cause tight calves and shorter Achilles tendons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter