Dis Old Fogies Clubhouse – Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. Makes No Difference!

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas will be at home hosting 2-4 Coast Guard recruits from the training base in Cape May. Usually my sister helps host, but this year things could change. We do invite some friends, neighbors. Not every holiday every year, but we’ve done it since 1998, the year we bought our vacation home here in CM. It’s now our full time home.

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas will be at home hosting 2-4 Coast Guard recruits from the training base in Cape May. Usually my sister helps host, but this year things could change. We do invite some friends, neighbors. Not every holiday every year, but we’ve done it since 1998, the year we bought our vacation home here in CM. It’s now our full time home.

That sounds wonderful!! So nice of you to do this!:)

We're spending this Thanksgiving in Ft. Lauderdale! Our son just started medical school there so we're having a beachy Thanksgiving! :)

:wave: Sounds like some good holidays are coming up.

We're having the dilemma of when to put our almost 12 year old lab down. He's starting to have a hard time getting up even on pain meds, some days are bad and then he'll have a couple of days that aren't too bad so we keep going back and forth on whether to do it.

We're having the dilemma of when to put our almost 12 year old lab down. He's starting to have a hard time getting up even on pain meds, some days are bad and then he'll have a couple of days that aren't too bad so we keep going back and forth on whether to do it.
:grouphug: somehow you know when it’s time.

:grouphug: somehow you know when it’s time.

I would tend to agree with Bobbi, there comes a time when you just know he isn't enjoying life any more. That seems like a very short life span. At least cats usually get 15-20.

I would tend to agree with Bobbi, there comes a time when you just know he isn't enjoying life any more. That seems like a very short life span. At least cats usually get 15-20.

I agree one day we'll know when it's time. Their life span is 10-14 years. He's a big yellow lab and usually is just over 100# so his back legs are giving out. He also has a large fatty tumor on his side back by his leg and based on the location and his age the vet felt surgery wasn't an option so we knew he wouldn't make it too much longer. Some nights he has us up every hour or two and some he'll last four or five hours.

Belle was 13, we had her for 5 years. She could not get up. We lost her and my mom the same week. That was 2016.

0AEAE826-3A15-4C88-9FCF-1E1C258A5E51.jpeg

Wow a double whammy, so sorry Bobbi that was a rough year.

It was and then my brother in law passed January 1.

Somehow related, and I hope not morbid, my new favorite Disney Movie is Coco. I LOVE the idea of family, friends coming to visit on the Day of the Dead, October 2. This year my DSis and I will participate in planting wildflowers in memory of our loved ones in Genesis farm in Blairstown NJ.

Sadly it’s the same day that the Red Cross invites host families to mingle with members of the Coast Guard recruiting station officials. Cannot be in two places at once.:sad2:

How are things today?

It was and then my brother in law passed January 1.

Somehow related, and I hope not morbid, my new favorite Disney Movie is Coco. I LOVE the idea of family, friends coming to visit on the Day of the Dead, October 2. This year my DSis and I will participate in planting wildflowers in memory of our loved ones in Genesis farm in Blairstown NJ.

Sadly it’s the same day that the Red Cross invites host families to mingle with members of the Coast Guard recruiting station officials. Cannot be in two places at once.:sad2:

How are things today?
I love to plant flowers or trees in memory of loved ones.

Gus had me up 3 times last night, but he doing fairly well the last few days. We'll see how long I can go on very little sleep. I don't think I've had a full night in the last month.

I love to plant flowers or trees in memory of loved ones.

Gus had me up 3 times last night, but he doing fairly well the last few days. We'll see how long I can go on very little sleep. I don't think I've had a full night in the last month.

I understand. Our Belle had been a breeders dog, she never really knew about being house broken. She lived in a crate. We were up many nights...sometimes to take her out, sometimes to clean.
We have a Gus, too! He’s 6, we’ve had him for nearly 2 years.

A437D0E4-B27C-4B2A-AD14-D4663640B555.jpeg

I understand. Our Belle had been a breeders dog, she never really knew about being house broken. She lived in a crate. We were up many nights...sometimes to take her out, sometimes to clean.
We have a Gus, too! He’s 6, we’ve had him for nearly 2 years.

View attachment 362080
Your Gus has the best seat in the house.

Our dogs stay outside during the day, but come in at night. So far I've been lucky and haven't had any messes to clean up. My border collie mix is crate trained, she is 6 years old. We've had both since they were a couple months old.

Last edited:
How is everyone?

We will be picking up 2-4 Coast Guard recruits for Christmas at noon, and they have to be back by eight PM. My sister will be helping, a neighbor will be with us for dinner, and friends will come by mid afternoon to visit with us and meet the recruits.

We will go to church tomorrow, and then it will be a quiet Christmas Eve at our house. We will give Gus his gifts and exchange ours as well

No snow here!

Bobbi

How is everyone?

We will be picking up 2-4 Coast Guard recruits for Christmas at noon, and they have to be back by eight PM. My sister will be helping, a neighbor will be with us for dinner, and friends will come by mid afternoon to visit with us and meet the recruits.

We will go to church tomorrow, and then it will be a quiet Christmas Eve at our house. We will give Gus his gifts and exchange ours as well

No snow here!

Bobbi

Sounds like great plans Bobbi, that's so nice of you to make Christmas a little brighter for those away from home.

I've picked up the cold virus from my son and grandson so I'm a little behind on getting my presents wrapped. We also have a new fur addition to our house that our nephew named Mickey, he's a black mini schnauzer.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You have had so much tragedy in your family and lost so many. You are in my prayers.
...true.....ironic thing is, this probably could have been avoided. When he was diagnosed, he had Stage 4 lymphoma, which occurs at a high incidence in people with Celiac. He'd been suffering for a year, but never got diagnosed, even at my DH's insistence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts