Dis unplugged Magic Your Band mask fit

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
I’ve never posted on this section of the boards before, just lurked, but I thought this was where this question would fit best.

I bought 3 of the dis unplugged masks through magic your band, I love the prints. However, the fit is ridiculous on me! I’m using the sizers to make them smaller, otherwise they nearly fall off. But even with the ear loops tightened so they fit there are big gaps along the side of my face, and a huge one under my chin! It looks silly! With no pleats or anything they don’t conform to my face at all. Is this how they fit everyone? I really wanted to love them and buy more, but as it is I don’t even think I’ll wear these. Am I missing something, or is my head just shaped wrong for this type of mask?! I do seem to fit some youth and some smaller adult masks, so it’s hard to find ones that fit me well.

Unfortunately I bought before the nose wires were possible, so I can’t tighten there either.

I hate including a photo, and a selfie at that , but just so you see what I mean... is this correct?

Attachments

• D1490D16-6DF6-4794-B9E9-BF2FEA091C19.jpeg
    D1490D16-6DF6-4794-B9E9-BF2FEA091C19.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 111
Regardless of the design, I think that mask is too big on you. It looks like one could slip a couple of fingers between your cheek and the mask, and that won't give you the side protection.
Is that a 3-layer mask?

I have to sadly say that I will not be wearing mine either - even using the tighteners, I also have huge gaps on the sides, and it's too easy to get gaps under the chin when trying to tighten - nothing seems to work completely. I also purchased right before the nose wires, and I'm not going to buy those now separately/put those on top of the mask, or try to figure out how to insert/hot glue/whatever. And besides this giving a better fit, if you don't use it, your glasses fog right up. :(

Like you said - the prints are very cute, but the masks just no good for me either. :( It's a shame - I love the "Figment sleeping baby dragon" and American Flag ones I bought. I am going to try and find somebody to give them to.

Last edited:
Regardless of the design, I think that mask is too big on you. It looks like one could slip a couple of fingers between your cheek and the mask, and that won't give you the side protection.
Is that a 3-layer mask?
Im not sure without looking, they are the ones the dis is selling. I think it’s 2 layer. That’s a valid point, with the gaps it’s obviously not tight enough, because where it gaps I can fit fingers right between it and my cheek. Corey mentioned on one of the podcasts that his wife and daughter love them, and they are both very petite- I wonder why they can wear them and the fit is crazy on me?

I have to sadly say that I will not be wearing mine either - even using the tighteners, I also have huge gaps on the sides, and it's too easy to get gaps under the chin when trying to tighten - nothing seems to work completely. I also purchased right before the nose wires, and I'm not going to buy/put those on top of the mask, or try to figure out how to insert/hot glue/whatever. Like you said - the prints are very cute, but the masks just no good for me either. :(
Well, I guess it’s not just me then. It makes me sad, I really looked forward to wearing the ones I bought. I can’t tighten them enough to begin to get rid of any of the gaps- that just pulls my ears forward and looked even sillier, but there are still huge gaps. How do these fit anyone? I’ll have to have my husband put it on, but he’s not a big guy so they will probably fit similarly.

That’s incredibly disappointing to hear. I thought it was crazy they didn’t have nose wires in the first place. A mask is worthless if it doesn’t work.

I am so sorry for both of you and thank you for saving me the money. I had my eye on two designs.

That’s incredibly disappointing to hear. I thought it was crazy they didn’t have nose wires in the first place. A mask is worthless if it doesn’t work.

I am so sorry for both of you and thank you for saving me the money. I had my eye on two designs.
Hey - don't let my experience dissuade you - maybe they might work better for you! And now they do have the nose wires, so that's not an issue. I'm sure plenty of others have had positive experiences. Figures - my face is a weird size or shape, or something! :crazy:

Unless you’ve had luck with other masks in this style I would buy another Disney mask and hold off on these. My personal experiences with this style, that is not pleated or shaped to fit your face in any way, is that they just don’t conform to the face and fit at all. IDK, maybe I do have an odd shaped head (that’s apparently smaller than most adults based on mask buying haha).

I only listen to the podcast, I never watch it because it’s my driving entertainment, but I know different team members have put it on during the shows. Does anyone remember which shows, so I can look up those video ones to see how they fit them? I’m curious if they were snug on their cheeks and chin, or gaped like on me but they thought it was ok.

I had the same problem with the fit of mine, I put a new seam down the nose to take it up where needed, and another one under the chin. That improved the fit. I then moved the ear loops from the top and bottom to the sides, since it no longer mattered for the use of the filter pocket since I seamed through it anyway. It fits now, but not comfortably since it's tight across the end of my nose and I bought early before nose wires, so there are gaps from my nose to my cheeks. I can't wear it, but I tried! I have a very petite face though, so your mileage may vary. Also happy to have supported the DIS!

I have to echo everyone's experiences. I got two and they just don't fit. They're too loose on the sides and chin. I have the feeling Disney would not find them acceptable because they don't offer true protection.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the fit of mine, I put a new seam down the nose to take it up where needed, and another one under the chin. That improved the fit. I then moved the ear loops from the top and bottom to the sides, since it no longer mattered for the use of the filter pocket since I seamed through it anyway. It fits now, but not comfortably since it's tight across the end of my nose and I bought early before nose wires, so there are gaps from my nose to my cheeks. I can't wear it, but I tried! I have a very petite face though, so your mileage may vary. Also happy to have supported the DIS!

Holy cow, that was a lot of work to do on something that you paid for that should have ben perfect to wear upon receipt! I don't sew at all, so nothing that you said is an option for me, and as much as I do love the prints I probably would have been to lazy to do all of that even if I did sew lol. It's not that I don't want to support the dis, but spending money on a poor product is not how I want to support them, and it would have been better for them if they sold masks that everyone loved and wore, not got a few cents but no one wears them. However, it's quite possible that the majority of buyers can wear them and are happy. I feel a little better now, though, finding out that it's *edit to add not* just me that cannot.
I have to echo everyone's experiences. I got two and they just don't fit. They're too loose on the sides and chin. I have the feeling Disney would not find them acceptable because they don't offer true protection.
Yep, sides and chin. Looking at the shape of the mask, though, I don't understand how it wouldn't gap at the chin on everyone? There's no shaping to make it not gap, if that makes any sense.

I wish I had just bought one, and then bought more if I liked it - particularly since you didn't save on shipping by buying multiple because shipping was included. Instead I bought 3, and was close to buying 4. That's just my personality, though, I'm inpatient and
didn't want to wait in increments. It would have saved me $30, though. I have a few from etsy that I like, and some of the shopdisney ones did end up fitting me (plus they seem to have gotten more consistent with their sizes since the initial ones). There are some disneyfoodblog ones that are pleated that I am looking at, but I'm also getting tired of spending money on masks when only about 50% seem to be fitting me.

Last edited:
I feel like you, @ninafeliz - glad it wasn't just me - for the longest, I figured it was just me, since nobody else mentioned it, so I didn't want to stop anybody else from buying, or not show my support of The DIS by "downing" something associated with them, so I just kept quiet. Still feel bad anybody else has problems, but glad it's not jut me - if that makes sense. :)

I feel like you, @ninafeliz - glad it wasn't just me - for the longest, I figured it was just me, since nobody else mentioned it, so I didn't want to stop anybody else from buying, or not show my support of The DIS by "downing" something associated with them, so I just kept quiet. Still feel bad anybody else has problems, but glad it's not jut me - if that makes sense. :)
@SorcererHeidi it makes perfect sense! We're in the same boat lol :-)

Mine came not personalized- I had put 2028 on mine (to mark the year I retire and hopefully move to Orlando) but it wasnt there. I plan to stitch the mask for a better fit since I paid so much and wear it anyway.

I should have come back to check this thread sooner! After going back to the Magicyourband website and looking at the measurements, I can see that I modified my mask to almost exactly the child size. How funny. I don't recall seeing a size option when I ordered mine in June, or a nose wire, but it's possible I overlooked both.

*edit* - I just want to say that the mask not fitting isn't due to bad design, gaping at cheeks and chin are because it's simply too large of a size for us. You can pinch up the fabric with it on your face to see this for yourself. The modifications I made to mine took care of the size issues but then changed the shape of the mask and created a new issue. I understand of course being upset with the product not meeting expectations. Everything past here is just a sappy story about why I was happy to have supported. :p *end edit*

I would also like to clarify my 'happy to have supported' bit. I used possibly hundreds of the DisUnplugged videos to prepare for my first trip to Disney World in 2018. I have extreme anxiety issues that are soothed by super planning and researching every possible detail. Incredibly helpful videos like the interview with someone else with autism gave me the confidence that I too could enjoy the magic. It was meant to be a once in a lifetime kind of thing, but the whole experience was so incredible that I chose instead to plan another trip and take my equally anxiety ridden boyfriend with me. That trip has been rescheduled twice now thanks to the pandemic, but my Dreams Unlimited agent has made it very simple, as simple as a single email request each time.

Even with the recent constant uncertainty of what I had perceived as rock solid systems within the parks (fastpass and dining reservations, or more general park operations) I still feel confident I can go to the parks in the future when I feel safe and have a great time, thanks to the continuous updates and hard work from the DIS team. Corey Martin's "I'm just happy to be here." is a positive reminder for me every time I think of it, and it's on the mask with the quotes! And Craig Williams with his "Ahoy Ahoy!" greeting and his blasé attitude that he seems to use to cover how he attends to every detail and cares so much about his work. So yes, I can say truthfully that even though my mask didn't fit, I'm still happy to have it. But of course, my story won't fit everyone, right? Your mileage will vary :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've dropped some of you a DM but please do get in touch with us if you have any problems with the fit - we do have a smaller size available too and we'll definitely try to help!
I don't know how to adjust the ear loops, can you help?
Also, our package got ruined by the Postal Service, it looks like they ran over it, ripping the plastic bag it was shipped in. My bf's mask got what appears to be black grease on it, some washed out, but his is missing the white earloop things and the nose wire. :(

Last edited:
I don't know how to adjust the ear loops, can you help?
Also, our package got ruined by the Postal Service, it looks like they ran over it, ripping the plastic bag it was shipped in. My bf's mask got what appears to be black grease on it, some washed out, but his is missing the white earloop things and the nose wire. :(
@MagicYourBand - @Derb - Tapped the vendor, hoping they'll see this, and respond to you. If not, I would suggest emailing them. Hope it all works out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!