Dis Unplugged News 8/25/20 question.

KittyKitty

DIS Veteran
I don't have a lot of knowledge on this, but do most Disney World cast members belong to a union? And if so, are they restricted to what they can do?

Florida is a "right to work" state so CM's are not required to join a union.

This is a perceptive question.

Most WDW cast members are represented by a union, yes. ("Belong" implies they are dues paying union members and Florida's constitution, I'm reliably informed, makes it a right to work state.) There are several unions at WDW. Most CM's, I think, are represented by the Service Trades Council Union which includes two UNITE locals, a Teamsters local, a Transportation Communications Workers local, UFCW local, theater local. Character performers, go figure, are Teamsters. There is also an Actor's Equity bargaining agreement.

The bargaining agreement with Service Trades is, as you might imagine, fairly unique (and I have seen a lot of bargaining agreements) and complex.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking when you say "are they restricted to what they can do." I think you are referring to the discussion about putting indefinitely furloughed CMs back to work in other positions. https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ainment-cast-members-furloughed-indefinitely/

I'll start by saying the word "transfer" appears 161 times in the current full-time Service Trades Council CBA. I can't begin to explain all of the uses; I'd go mad.

Transferring an employee is a listed management right in the Service Trades agreement but not the Actors Equity agreement. Management still has to follow the other bargaining agreement terms but, I suspect, those are procedural clauses (usually based on company seniority) not limitations on management's right to transfer employees. And, odds are, if it put people back to work, then the union isn't likely to object to the "transfer" anyway unless it ignores existing seniority lists and the CBA safety training requirements (e.g., character captains must have heat exhaustion training).

The Equity agreement probably limits transfers to preserve the performer's talent. For example, the Equity agreement prohibits WDW from changing a performer's contract without writen agreement from the performer. WDW can either not change the contract, can transfer the performer to another "show" with the performers consent, or terminate the performer with 4 weeks' notice.

The tricky part is transfers between bargaining representatives, the Teamsters and Actors' Equity apparently have jurisdictional squabbles over which union represents which performers. The Service Council CBA refers to a "1997 Settlement Agreement between the Company, Equity and the Teamsters" and includes at least one appendix implementing it. These procedures appear to be designed to resolve representation when WDW decides to "produce a new performance."

The difference between a teamster and an equity represented employee is pretty subtle. I can't list all the provisions.

Equity performers are "principal actors and singers" and play roles in stage shows, whether acting, singing, dancing or performing
stunts, but there are exceptions such as for named nonspeaking characters. This is why I can't say, for sure, that Cinderella is a teamster.

It seems to me that the answer to your question as I understand it is that the CBAs generally classify "atmosphere actors" as equity performers. (Atmosphere performers, the CBA says, "includes atmosphere work where the actor is expected to enact scenes or do stunt work (this does not include Character Meet and Greet work, such as CHARACTER BREAKFASTS, or simple atmosphere enhancement such as Disney’s Hollywood Studios NEWSBOYS, GREEN ARMY MEN);"

The equity agreement even mentions the Dapper Dans and "streetmosphere" as examples.

So if the impacted CM's are equity performers, which is how I read the article, their opportunities to transfer to other jobs outside of the bargaining unit (non-equity jobs) may be rather limited. I'm not privy to any MOU's between WDW and Equity, however. Its rather far fetched to think that under the present climate, the Service Council would not object to Equity and WDW agreeing to a temporary transfer agreement which put Equity performers in Service Council covered jobs. The Service Council must protect the employees it represents.

Don't take this as saying I understand the CBAs, particularly as it relates to the Equity agreement. That's way above my pay grade (that's a joke, few if any person ever fully understands any CBA).

Jeff and Ryan are entirely correct in what they said. But even in a right to work state, employees who are not dues paying members of the union are represented by the union and are thus bound by and limited to the terms of the bargaining agreement and their union's negotiations with WDW.

Most WDW cast members are represented by a union, yes. ("Belong" implies they are dues paying union members and Florida's constitution, I'm reliably informed, makes it a right to work state.) There are several unions at WDW. Most CM's, I think, are represented by the Service Trades Council Union which includes two UNITE locals, a Teamsters local, a Transportation Communications Workers local, UFCW local, theater local. Character performers, go figure, are Teamsters. There is also an Actor's Equity bargaining agreement.

The bargaining agreement with Service Trades is, as you might imagine, fairly unique (and I have seen a lot of bargaining agreements) and complex.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking when you say "are they restricted to what they can do." I think you are referring to the discussion about putting indefinitely furloughed CMs back to work in other positions. https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ainment-cast-members-furloughed-indefinitely/

I'll start by saying the word "transfer" appears 161 times in the current full-time Service Trades Council CBA. I can't begin to explain all of the uses; I'd go mad.

Transferring an employee is a listed management right in the Service Trades agreement but not the Actors Equity agreement. Management still has to follow the other bargaining agreement terms but, I suspect, those are procedural clauses (usually based on company seniority) not limitations on management's right to transfer employees. And, odds are, if it put people back to work, then the union isn't likely to object to the "transfer" anyway unless it ignores existing seniority lists and the CBA safety training requirements (e.g., character captains must have heat exhaustion training).

The Equity agreement probably limits transfers to preserve the performer's talent. For example, the Equity agreement prohibits WDW from changing a performer's contract without writen agreement from the performer. WDW can either not change the contract, can transfer the performer to another "show" with the performers consent, or terminate the performer with 4 weeks' notice.

The tricky part is transfers between bargaining representatives, the Teamsters and Actors' Equity apparently have jurisdictional squabbles over which union represents which performers. The Service Council CBA refers to a "1997 Settlement Agreement between the Company, Equity and the Teamsters" and includes at least one appendix implementing it. These procedures appear to be designed to resolve representation when WDW decides to "produce a new performance."

The difference between a teamster and an equity represented employee is pretty subtle. I can't list all the provisions.

Equity performers are "principal actors and singers" and play roles in stage shows, whether acting, singing, dancing or performing
stunts, but there are exceptions such as for named nonspeaking characters. This is why I can't say, for sure, that Cinderella is a teamster.

It seems to me that the answer to your question as I understand it is that the CBAs generally classify "atmosphere actors" as equity performers. (Atmosphere performers, the CBA says, "includes atmosphere work where the actor is expected to enact scenes or do stunt work (this does not include Character Meet and Greet work, such as CHARACTER BREAKFASTS, or simple atmosphere enhancement such as Disney’s Hollywood Studios NEWSBOYS, GREEN ARMY MEN);"

The equity agreement even mentions the Dapper Dans and "streetmosphere" as examples.

So if the impacted CM's are equity performers, which is how I read the article, their opportunities to transfer to other jobs outside of the bargaining unit (non-equity jobs) may be rather limited. I'm not privy to any MOU's between WDW and Equity, however. Its rather far fetched to think that under the present climate, the Service Council would not object to Equity and WDW agreeing to a temporary transfer agreement which put Equity performers in Service Council covered jobs. The Service Council must protect the employees it represents.

Don't take this as saying I understand the CBAs, particularly as it relates to the Equity agreement. That's way above my pay grade (that's a joke, few if any person ever fully understands any CBA).

Jeff and Ryan are entirely correct in what they said. But even in a right to work state, employees who are not dues paying members of the union are represented by the union and are thus bound by and limited to the terms of the bargaining agreement and their union's negotiations with WDW.

Cliff Notes?

I don't have a lot of knowledge on this, but do most Disney World cast members belong to a union? And if so, are they restricted to what they can do?

Not sure of percentages but many regular CMs will not join a union, it depends on their position. Obviously a lot do

And then the equity actors are separate from thay

I don't honestly think that the Equity actors would want to be transferred to other positions, which likely pay much less and don't use their skills as actors/singers. (I'm an AFM musician, for what it's worth.)

Thanks Jack for the excellent explanation and needed expansion on my comment. :teacher:

Most front-line CMs are represented by a union, whether or not they join and pay dues. Different roles have different unions though (and some with quite similar names). Actors/special entertainment CMs (nowhere near all entertainment CMs) are represented by Actors Equity for example. All Attractions CMs (this also includes parking attendants, main entrance greeters, Parade Audience Control, and the like) are represented by a different union. Vacation Planners and Custodial are also covered by that union. Another union covers most Food and Bev CMs as well as Housekeeping CMs. That union also covers employees of several other major hotels in the area I believe.

It’s very complicated, but the short answer to your question is that, while many CMs do not join a union, most are covered/protected by one and have the option of officially joining it to get voting rights. Most are also affected by any deals with the union, regardless of if they’re a member or not. For example, the Attractions union was able to get Disney to call back basically all FT Attractions CMs and many PT CMs even when that many weren’t needed. If you were officially a member of the union (paying dues), you would have been able to theoretically vote on the terms of the deal, but whether or not you were officially a member of the union, you would be called back per the terms of the deal.

Most front-line CMs are represented by a union, whether or not they join and pay dues. Different roles have different unions though (and some with quite similar names). Actors/special entertainment CMs (nowhere near all entertainment CMs) are represented by Actors Equity for example. All Attractions CMs (this also includes parking attendants, main entrance greeters, Parade Audience Control, and the like) are represented by a different union. Vacation Planners and Custodial are also covered by that union. Another union covers most Food and Bev CMs as well as Housekeeping CMs. That union also covers employees of several other major hotels in the area I believe.

It’s very complicated, but the short answer to your question is that, while many CMs do not join a union, most are covered/protected by one and have the option of officially joining it to get voting rights. Most are also affected by any deals with the union, regardless of if they’re a member or not. For example, the Attractions union was able to get Disney to call back basically all FT Attractions CMs and many PT CMs even when that many weren’t needed. If you were officially a member of the union (paying dues), you would have been able to theoretically vote on the terms of the deal, but whether or not you were officially a member of the union, you would be called back per the terms of the deal.
I'm curious if you have to be full time to join the unions. I can't remember but I do know that college programers or seasonal could join when I was there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter