Disabilities at Universal

eleda72

Mouseketeer
Hello!
We are traveling to Orlando in just 13 days... (10 days at Disney first and 4 days at Universal)
Both me and my daughter (23 years old) have several challenges
We both have ADHD and Epilepsy

I also have Diabetes type 1, PTSD, +++++ (I am a childhood abuse survivor)
This winter I also hurt my knee so I am jumping around on crutches... (4 mounts on crutches now....)

And just to top that... not really a disability... but I lost all my hair due to Alopecia the last month "LOL"

Well, I remember that Universal had something similar to the DAS card at Disney?
Is it like Disney, that we need to explain our challenges?
(And do we need to bring documentation? .. I have a Dr`s note with me on all my travels)

Could someone please tell me about that and maybe share some experiences?

AND would it be possible to rent a wheelchair at Universal if I should need one?

Thank you, best from Adèle Marie in Norway :)

Discuss your situation with the TM in guest services in the park

They will explain how they assist those with disabilities to enjoy the rides/shows

They issue the assistance pass card and will explain how it is used

No doctor statement is required

If a person has a mobility issue, they will recommend you rent a wc

Hi Macraven gave you a great answer.

I will just share my personal experience so you can have an idea.

My DD has autism and we usually get a DAS type of pass at the parks. It is just like Disney where you will get a return time based on the posted wait time. We did on a few occasions where it was under 20 minutes get right on.

We did not give details on her specific disability but explained what could help. I have been to some parks where they want info and some not. Technically they are not allowed to by the ADA.

Enjoy your trip!

Last year the employee at the entrance to the ride line would check the regular time wait

They would write down a return time period you could return and use the ep line

Just show the card to the TMs

When I used it, if the present wait was 29 minutes or less, could enter the ride line then

If the line wait was 30 minutes or over, they divided the wait time in half and wrote that time on your card for your return

You still have to wait in a line for the ride but it will not be a forever wait line...

Hi Macraven gave you a great answer.

I will just share my personal experience so you can have an idea.

My DD has autism and we usually get a DAS type of pass at the parks. It is just like Disney where you will get a return time based on the posted wait time. We did on a few occasions where it was under 20 minutes get right on.

We did not give details on her specific disability but explained what could help. I have been to some parks where they want info and some not. Technically they are not allowed to by the ADA.

Enjoy your trip!
So you just go to GR at the entrance, just like Disney? We have used DAS many times but this week will be our first time requesting AAP (my son also has autism). Have you ever had AAP issued at City Walk GR or does it have to be in a park? Thanks!

https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/universals-attraction-assistance-pass/
OP, this will give you a little more detail and information to try to understand what it all is before coming into Universal.

Also, @bobbie68, nice icon. 😄

Thank you I like it too :D

So you just go to GR at the entrance, just like Disney? We have used DAS many times but this week will be our first time requesting AAP (my son also has autism). Have you ever had AAP issued at City Walk GR or does it have to be in a park? Thanks!

Yes you go to the guest assistance building at the front of either park for any type of assistance pass. I did not have anything issued at City Walk but I think you can do it there. I know that these types of passes have been a saving grace through the years for us. I am very appreciative of them. I am looking forward to the sea world parks this year with their Certified Autism Centers. I am not sure if it is more geared for little ones. My DD is 17 now. Anything is better than nothing.

Enjoy your trip! I find Universal more laid back and easier for my DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter