Disability and tickets

Lori625

Earning My Ears
I have an orthopedic disability but also deal with Sjögren’s syndrome, fibromyalgia, ME and gastroparesis stomach issues. I’m looking at purchasing tickets for Disney. I’m wanting to get a 3 day park Hopper. The problem is with the new restrictions on the time limit of days you can use it after the first day. I can’t go that many days in a row and need a day of rest in between days sometimes more than one day depending on how sick I get. I’m on disability so have a very limited income and an a mom of a special needs child. My question is this: is Disney lenient with those limits. Like if I need an extra day or two to use my 3 days if I get sick will they extend the time. I know you can get the tickets you pay extra for with more time but I’m scraping up to afford the normal 3 day tickets. I need park hoppers because if a park gets too crowded we can go to another one with my daughter who has some sensitivity issues. I just feel like them requiring us to pay more is discrimination because the reason I need more time is because I’m disabled. I feel like it’s reasonable accommodation for them to add a few more days to the limit I am able to use my 3 days isn’t unreasonable. I’ve called quest services and spoke with someone in disability servers as well and am told I will have to purchase the more expensive tickets. Have any of you experienced this where you got sick and needed more time to get in your 3 days? Were they understanding or were you just out of luck?

I haven't had any experience since they rolled out the new time limits. You may get some pixie dust or may not - it may not be something a CM can override. Having park hopped before, I haven't found much difference in the crowd level from one park to another (I know the crowd calendars always have differences, sometimes big differences but i haven't found the differences that significant.) Also keep in mind the travel between parks can be pretty strenuous. It may be a better option to get the 4 single park days, have longer to use it, and have shorter days.

not that i have more time I will do a longer replay,

I am not sure you will be given more time because of your disability. Disney has set the time limits for a reason and I just do not see them changing then (sometimes having a disability mean spending more money to get something other get for free and yes this suck but it is life)

it seems like a good number of your Disability has to do with fatigue/ pain would having a mobility device help with some of this. instead of buy ticket can you maybe do the after hour party and do this instead. not sure how many days you need in between but this could give you more days depending on how you book them.

If you really are set on getting ticket ( 3 days ) I would suggest going at the park when they open ( really getting there 30-45 minutes before they open doing FP for the morning like starting 30-45 minutes after the park opens and then going back to the hotel for a rest break ( I have to do this ) and then back for the evening

I hope you do get to go to Disney but I would expect them not to give you an extension on the number of days and plan how you will handle this.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't count on being allowed extra time (days) to use your tickets. The 3-day ticket has a 5-day "use window" -- which does actually allow you a day off in between each park day if you so choose. For example: day 1 MK, day 2 rest, day 3 AK, day 4 rest, day 5 DHS. I recommend pacing yourself so you don't push too hard, which I'd guess is more likely to leave you sick needing an extra day of rest. There is no way to do everything at WDW in even a 2-week vacation; don't try to cram too much into a 3-day.

I also agree with PP that if you need to save funds, I'd drop the hopper. I have only ever park-hopped on one trip, and I think it was only once or twice in that week. Since then we don't purchase the hopper and plan on single-park days. You are welcome to return to a park if you or DD need to leave for a rest or break from the crowds and stimulation, then return later in the day/evening. That doesn't require a hopper. You can also add the hopper at the gate if you find you do in fact need or want it; there is no cost savings to purchasing the hopper option in advance. I'd just purchase straight 3-day 1-park-per-day tickets. Depending on your dates, a 3-day hopper may cost about the same as a 4-day ticket, but the 4-day gives you a couple more days to use it (7 day "use window").

As with other unexpected situations, if someone truly finds they are sick or injured and unable to use their tickets as purchased, Guest Services at your resort may be able to help, but I'd consider that pixie-dust and not something to be expected.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have an orthopedic disability but also deal with Sjögren’s syndrome, fibromyalgia, ME and gastroparesis stomach issues. I’m looking at purchasing tickets for Disney. I’m wanting to get a 3 day park Hopper. The problem is with the new restrictions on the time limit of days you can use it after the first day. I can’t go that many days in a row and need a day of rest in between days sometimes more than one day depending on how sick I get. I’m on disability so have a very limited income and an a mom of a special needs child. My question is this: is Disney lenient with those limits. Like if I need an extra day or two to use my 3 days if I get sick will they extend the time. I know you can get the tickets you pay extra for with more time but I’m scraping up to afford the normal 3 day tickets. I need park hoppers because if a park gets too crowded we can go to another one with my daughter who has some sensitivity issues. I just feel like them requiring us to pay more is discrimination because the reason I need more time is because I’m disabled. I feel like it’s reasonable accommodation for them to add a few more days to the limit I am able to use my 3 days isn’t unreasonable. I’ve called quest services and spoke with someone in disability servers as well and am told I will have to purchase the more expensive tickets. Have any of you experienced this where you got sick and needed more time to get in your 3 days? Were they understanding or were you just out of luck?

It's not discrimination. You get what you pay for.

. I feel like it’s reasonable accommodation for them to add a few more days to the limit I am able to use my 3 days isn’t unreasonable.
Thing is, they don't need to provide the accommodation each person wants or feels is appropriate, nor does an accommodation need to be at a price point of the visitor's choice.. Regarding tickets, they offer options. A visitor who physically can't visit several days in a row can purchase a multi-day ticket that is valid for "extra" in-between days. Alternatively, a visitor can purchase the more flexible tickets at the SRP.

I think this is the issue - you've got it in your head that you are given something when you buy the ticket beyond what the ticket really gets you. The ticket gets you into the park. What you do while you are in the park, how long you stay in the park, etc, is up to you. They are not requiring you to pay more - you would like to have more time in the parks. To be honest, all the parks have been crazy busy all year round for a long time now. There are no quiet parks to go to (and how would you know which one to go to, and hope it's not even more crazy busy?) and planning for that is really important, especially with a child sensitive to crowds.

We have been given 3 extra FP+ for a day when I had to go by ambulance to the local ER from my resort room. We missed the day's FP+ at HS, so they gave us 3 more for the day after, which we used at MK.

How many days are you planning on being at WDW? I like the idea of buying a 4 day ticket a PP suggested, and then doing half days without the park hopper. Your child may be too overwhelmed to be in the parks all day anyways?

Just remember - WDW doesn't look at your income, your socio/economic situation and decide things. That's your private info, and if you can't afford the Disney trip you want right now, perhaps is would be better to wait? Especially if you are on a limited income - what happens if you get really sick down there? Do you have the money to cover expenses for ER, meds, etc? My ER trip set us back a few hundred dollars OOP, and the prescriptions were another $50.

Ok, first off, can I just say that you guys (except maybe Hoodie) are being unfairly harsh to the OP, they are new and what kind of impression are you making on them?

Secondly, I think the OP is very fair in asking IF it can be done, as it does indeed seem unfair to make those with disabilities pay more simply because they don't have the ability to do what others can. For me personally, we are getting an AP on this trip because we are going long enough that the DVC discount made it about the same price as buying tickets with memory maker, but that isn't going to be the case for everyone.

Now, to actually answer the OP's question:
I would recommend calling Disney directly and asking if something can be accommodated under the circumstances, but do be aware that if they do accommodate you, they could indeed require proof of disability in this case, as there is a monetary value to this accommodation, similar to how getting reduced fair on public transit requires proof because there is a monetary value. If they do offer accommodations via the phone call, be sure to get a confirmation number, if they can't help you by phone, write them via email, because I can guarantee you that you are not the only person to face this very issue and there are far more that won't be willing to speak up about this issue.

It's not discrimination. You get what you pay for.
They are not saying they should be able to get an extra number of entries into the parks, just instead of expiring after 5 days, it should expire after say 14 days after first use, still 3 days worth of admission and I think that is completely fair.

They are not saying they should be able to get an extra number of entries into the parks, just instead of expiring after 5 days, it should expire after say 14 days after first use, still 3 days worth of admission and I think that is completely fair.

No, it's not "completely fair". If they want a ticket that lasts for 14 days after first use, they can buy one, just like everyone else does.

By the OP's (and your logic), it's unfair that Disney charges a full day's admission price to people who, due to a disability, can only be in the park for three hours per day. Or, it's unfair that Disney charges to rent wheelchairs and ECVs because some people need them due to a disability.

I agree with all the others that suggest dropping the park hoppers. We always park hop, but usually only do one ride at one of the parks we visit. We only do that because we are there often, having annual passes, and getting our money's worth is not an issue. I can tell you that it takes a long time out of your day to park hop. It's also tiring to do so. If you have limited stamina, you would be better served by picking a park and staying there for the entire day.

Another alternative is to buy your tickets from somewhere other than Disney, and buy more days. For example, you can get them online from a Disney authorized reseller and have them delivered electronically. Using June 16, 2019 as an example (since you didn't mention your dates), you can buy a 4 day park hopper that is good for any four entries across seven days for only $67.89/person extra over a 3 day park hopper from the Disney website. Even if you're only planning on using 3 days, it's less than a 3 day flexible hopper.

I agree with all the others that suggest dropping the park hoppers. We always park hop, but usually only do one ride at one of the parks we visit. We only do that because we are there often, having annual passes, and getting our money's worth is not an issue. I can tell you that it takes a long time out of your day to park hop. It's also tiring to do so. If you have limited stamina, you would be better served by picking a park and staying there for the entire day.
This is the one part I will agree with, do drop the park hoppers, if going for a longer trip they can be worthwhile, but 3 days they would not. We go for 14 days or so, so sometimes we go back to the hotel mid day and then go to another park after, but I can't imagine doing this on a short trip like that.

No, because that is not equal access. Unless they adjust everyone's ticket to equal 14 days after first use, of course.

Disney is required to give equal access, not equal time in the parks.

No, because that is not equal access. Unless they adjust everyone's ticket to equal 14 days after first use, of course.

Exactly! This is NOT an accessibility issue that would be covered under the ADA, it's simply a park admission issue. Disney is under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to provide discounted admission, which in essence is what the OP is requesting, due to a disability. What the OP is asking for is the equivalent of a disabled person coming to the park, needing a wheelchair, and then complaining that Disney is discriminating against them because they charge money for the rental.

A disabled person could just as easily say "I just feel like them requiring us to pay more is discrimination because the reason I need a wheelchair is because I’m disabled." That would make no sense.

Ok, first off, can I just say that you guys (except maybe Hoodie) are being unfairly harsh to the OP, they are new and what kind of impression are you making on them?

Secondly, I think the OP is very fair in asking IF it can be done, as it does indeed seem unfair to make those with disabilities pay more simply because they don't have the ability to do what others can. For me personally, we are getting an AP on this trip because we are going long enough that the DVC discount made it about the same price as buying tickets with memory maker, but that isn't going to be the case for everyone.

Now, to actually answer the OP's question:
I would recommend calling Disney directly and asking if something can be accommodated under the circumstances, but do be aware that if they do accommodate you, they could indeed require proof of disability in this case, as there is a monetary value to this accommodation, similar to how getting reduced fair on public transit requires proof because there is a monetary value. If they do offer accommodations via the phone call, be sure to get a confirmation number, if they can't help you by phone, write them via email, if that doesn't work, definitely let George Kalogridis know that this is an issue by sending him an email (not sure if I can post his email address here or not, but google it, it is easy to find), because I can guarantee you that you are not the only person to face this very issue and there are far more that won't be willing to speak up about this issue.
calling is not usually an answer as calls go to a call center that is not at the park. plus what you are told over the phone may or may not be true when OP gets to resort/WDW. and yes I have had a name with details but found out at resort what I was told was not true

OP not sure how many days off you need but with a 3 days ticket you can go to the park have a day off in between each park day Also do think to help your self Like take breaks at the park ( all the parks have a first aid that you can use ) or at the hotel use a mobility device if it might help you stay hydrated and eat as close to normal as you can, if your on medication stay on schedule with it.

There really is not many people that can do rope drop to park close every day for 3 days. Disney has it now that you can take a day off in between park days and I think that is great that they do this.

I disagree completely, equal access should account for disabilities that prevent using x days within y number of day, that is equal access. You are still getting the same number of days. Of course that doesn't give with your self righteous attitude that only those who can afford more days should get more days to use them, if it were truly about equal access, you would want to make sure that any disabled person never waited even a second longer than a nondisabled person for any attraction, ever, but that is obviously impossible for a variety of practical reasons, so again there is already inequal access, letting someone have a couple of extra days to use admission isn't an issue. Personally I think the pricing structure is pathetic as it stands, you should have at least 14 days from your first use to use any remaining tickets on any multiday ticket, but that's another story, I think allowing those with disabilities a few more days to use the days purchased is a reasonable compromise, as I said before they could even require proof of disability in this case.

As I said before, I have no skin in this game since we have APs, but I can say what would be reasonable accommodations and would be fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!