Disappointing experience at Galaxy's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
I am typing this at Pop Century. We went to Galaxy's Edge yesterday evening for the first time, 9/5, Thursday. We marched from Epcot to DHS in 22 minutes, we were so excited to see GE. The wait time for the Falcon ride during the day was 45 minutes. When we got there at 9 p.m., the wait time was 20 minutes, even though the land itself seemed fairly crowded. DS20 and DS30 joined the line immediately and I took DS3 to go buy a thermal detonator coke.
I am a casual Star Wars fan, but not really a fan of space ships. I didn't recognize any of the spaceships in there except for the Falcon. Didn't see Luke's Xwing, for example. Didn't recognize any of the buildings or decorations. Didn't recognize any of the droids except for the garbage can droid. Didn't see R2 or C3PO. Seeing the Falcon stuck in that unfamiliar "Black Spire" landscape was weird without Han Solo there. The 2 storm troopers looked odd -- they aren't actually storm troopers, they are "First Order troopers." Similar but slightly different design. Not interested. Disney thinks that if they build an unfamiliar landscape and call it Star Wars it will enable me to create my own Star Wars story. If I had so much imagination as to create my own story, I wouldn't be going to Disney World! But if I could create my own story, it would be much easier to do so in a familiar Star Wars scene, such as Tatooine or Naboo.
Seeing the Falcon meant nothing to me like it does for many others. Disney had promised that "grown men will cry and kiss the ground" when they see the Falcon. Not being male, I was not so emotional. I do own the 5000 piece Lego Falcons set, so I'm familiar with the Falcon's details. I don't remember the Falcon having a square antenna, but without Han Solo, the Falcon is nothing either way. It's like going to see your boyfriend, but he's dead so go see his car instead!
(In case you didn't know, Disney had Han Solo, one of the most famous Star Wars characters, stabbed to death by his own son, FOR NO REASON.)
The kids got done with the Falcon and told me that the wait line was part of the ride. They didn't recognize any of the talking characters in there. Both of them got to be pilots. They enjoyed it OK.
While waiting for the kids, I went and bought the thermal detonator coke. I didn't know how to say it (GE has their own "language" and I didn't know what they called the coke, so I touch the a demo bottle with my finger. The CM said, "You want coke?" I nodded, couldn't remember if they had a special word for "yes." I tapped my band, wanted to charge the coke as a snack credit on my dining plan but didn't know how to say that, so I didn't say anything. The CM said, "you want to charge the coke as a snack credit?" I nodded again, got my bottle, and left. He said, "Till the spires!" I didn't know what that meant. Till the spires what? Collapse?

It was the best thing that happened to me in GE, drinking from the cute thermal detonator bottle.

DS13 bought the blue milk. He drank it and gagged and said it was bad. I tried it and gagged also. I had thought it would be soy milk or coconut milk, which we drink at home. It tasted like cool aid, with a strong chemical bubble gum flavor! Ick. And it cost 8 bucks!

Then we left for Toy Story Land. It felt so much better to see all the colors! GE was all gray and brown, a weird sight in Disney World. I hope the land fails completely so that Disney paint it with bright colors and turn it into Aladdin Land. I would love to see a giant statue of the Genie there. And a couple of shiny golden or pink onion domes would be lovely. GE's buildings have round roofs but you can't tell when you walk around in there. They can keep the Falcon and its ride in there, it's in a corner and won't hurt anything.

Some people think the second ride, Rise of the Resistance, will save Galaxy's Edge. I doubt one ride will make that much difference, especially a ride that, again, is called Star Wars without any Star Wars in it. I look more forward to Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railroad, which is also a trackless ride. I prefer to look at stick Mickey rather than Kylo Ren. The Ratatouille trackless ride is also opening in Epcot, not to mention other new stuff opening. RotR will have lots of competition.

I say "stick Mickey" because in recently years, Disney has started to draw Mickey as a stick figure, to save money, no doubt. I don't let my kids watch any stick Mickey cartoons, on principle. I feel that it is an insult to Walt's memory. But it still beats seeing Kylo Ren. He's the guy who stabbed his own father to death for no reason, according to Disney. Some guy posted online that he went to see Kylo Ren in DHS on father's day and asked him, "How's your dad?"

RotR is supposed to open in December. Disney is trying new technology in there and the problem with inventing new things is that there are no guarantees. You might not ever be able to get it to work properly. Disney can, of course, change the ride, cut out the difficult parts and make it more doable. Which might be what they are doing.

In the last couple of days, whenever we wait at the bus stop, the MK stop always have a crowd whereas DHS has no one. That's because MK has so many rides and so much to do! It's another reason GE isn't doing so good, MK is drawing people away.

There are some jerks online who will attack you if you say that you don't like GE. Imagine how horribly they will die when Disney turns GE into Aladdin Land.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and certainly not everyone is going to enjoy SW:GE to the same degree. But to me, this post sounds like you are complaining for the sake of complaining and purposely trying to stir the pot.

Fortunately, Disney has plenty of other offerings for you to enjoy and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!