DISboard Point Rental Third Party

Ptrejo85

Earning My Ears
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...please move if needed.

Help!

I found a lovely DVC member who has a couple previous rentals on the site. She also sent me a contract and will request 50% once we have a confirmation and the balance 10 days before our trip. We have been emailing very back and forth, so I am ready to rent her points and book our Honeymoon.

The problem is my partner. We’ve been burned in the past before by credit card companies and his first car loan coming after us years later when he thought it was settled. He is very hesitant when it comes to sending people we don’t know money for a reservation. He’s joked/told me not to “lose all our money” in the process.

tl;dr

How do I tell my partner that I want to rent DVC points from a member who I met on the DISBoard rental page?

Is the member the person who started the thread on the Rent/Trade board? Did you initiate the contact? THose would be two things to be sure of that will help protect you. Be sure to do your due diligence....get their name, check the county records to ensure they are an owner.

While there have been a few instances in the past of problems on the board, they have been very, very few. If you are a first time renter, you may be more comfortable renting though a broker, like the Timeshare Store or David's DVC Rental, both are reliable and they deal with the owner. As far as I know, I don't think they release the final funds to the owner until after the renter is checked into the resort. Be aware that in any rental situation, direct from an owner or through a broker, changes to dates or room types are rarely (almost never) allowed. They are usually considered final transactions.

Read through the Required Reading sticky threads on the DVC Rent/Trade board for more info about renting,and ways to protect both parties in the transaction.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...please move if needed.

Help!

I found a lovely DVC member who has a couple previous rentals on the site. She also sent me a contract and will request 50% once we have a confirmation and the balance 10 days before our trip. We have been emailing very back and forth, so I am ready to rent her points and book our Honeymoon.

The problem is my partner. We’ve been burned in the past before by credit card companies and his first car loan coming after us years later when he thought it was settled. He is very hesitant when it comes to sending people we don’t know money for a reservation. He’s joked/told me not to “lose all our money” in the process.

tl;dr

How do I tell my partner that I want to rent DVC points from a member who I met on the DISBoard rental page?
There is one strange thing in what you write: the balance due 10 days before the stay. If you cancel last minute (within 30 days) her points would go on holding which means they would be very difficult to rent or use and she could lose them. That's why most people renting ask the balance 60 days before or full payment after the booking. Not a huge red flag, just something unusual.

There are scammers out there who have been stealing member information and using it to make reservations. Be careful.

Last edited:

I wouldn't rent from someone who only wants the other 50% ten days out....it implies they don't understand their own contract. Or maybe they don't really care about the other 50% - the 50% up front covers the dues, and they are good with that. But if its the first, that could create all sorts of issues for you - or maybe none at all.

Hi Everyone!

I'm the owner renting the points to the OP. I sent a blank contract to the OP which states:

A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of 50%, plus exchange fees (if any), will be due within 10 days of the receipt of a confirmation number from Disney in the name of Renter. The remaining balance (50%) will be due no later than 60 days prior to the arrival date if paying with Paypal; 75 days if paying via personal check.

I'll be in touch with the OP to clarify. Jeez, now I'm afraid no one will ever want to rent from me again.

FWIW, I started the thread on the rental board, OP replied, and then emailed ME saying he found my email address in an old thread, OP is new to DIS and couldn't PM. Since then we've been emailing just about daily and the OP has called me. The blank contract was sent early on in the process. I gave the OP my facebook name to follow me, too.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I'm the owner renting the points to the OP. I sent a blank contract to the OP which states:

A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of 50%, plus exchange fees (if any), will be due within 10 days of the receipt of a confirmation number from Disney in the name of Renter. The remaining balance (50%) will be due no later than 60 days prior to the arrival date if paying with Paypal; 75 days if paying via personal check.

I'll be in touch with the OP to clarify. Jeez, now I'm afraid no one will ever want to rent from me again.

FWIW, I started the thread on the rental board, OP replied, and then emailed ME saying he found my email address in an old thread, OP is new to DIS and couldn't PM. Since then we've been emailing just about daily and the OP has called me. The blank contract was sent early on in the process. I gave the OP my facebook name to follow me, too.
Never fear. People will want your points when they see you posting on the DIS, answering questions and being an honest owner. Good luck in the future.

Personally, I think it was great that you came on here and posted the update.

Hey guys! Sorry if this is making everyone confused!!

I meant to say that the balance was due 60 days out! I don’t know what I was thinking saying the balance was due 10 days out!

I looked over the blank contract and got my days confused.

Cruisin5 and I have been emailing back and forth! And I’m sorry if her integrity was compromised with my lack of information on this post.

This is my first time doing a DVC rental and I got my dates mixed up! Thank you to everyone who has been kind in looking out for me, but her blank contract does say the balance is due 60 days out.

The main point of the OP was not the contract and dates itself, but the fact that I trust the seller and didn’t know how to get my partner on board. I didn’t double check the dates because that was not the original intent of the post. I will make sure I am more thorough next time.

I hope Cruisin5 accepts my apology and I can still have the honeymoon of my dreams.

Hi Everyone!

cruisin' you've been around long enough that I know you know how to use your points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter