Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Nini-prayers for your family.:hug:

Good luck with the new iron, I have burned out two of them in the last year! I went to JoAnns for a replacement and found a $50.00 singer on clearance for $14.00 I am hoping it lasts a little longer than the others. I was ready to fork over big buck for a rowneta but when I founds the singer on clearance I had to try.
I had an iron break the day before a wedding so I went to JoAnns and got a Singer. I think it was more like $80ish. I had a coupon that I could use on it-I think 10% as the 40% wouldn't work. That was in September. I really like the iron. I had a t-fal before that and a Rowenta before that. I like the Rowenta but it didn't last too long considering what I paid for it.

I am hopelessly far behind and there is WAY TMTQ. There have been soooo many fabulous things posted lately. I love all the Princess dresses and the upcycled clothes. So many cute ideas. I really hope to do some sewing this weekend but I'm not sure it will happen.

Welcome to all the new followers and congrats on all the new machine purchases.

I have to add my 2cents to the serger. On mostly everything I make I serge the seams only. I was doing both but still have had things come apart. Some may remember my short fiasco at Disney were the shorts looked like they had been ripped off:eek: But I think that may have had more to do with the Japanese fabric than my sewing skills.:confused:

This was my project last night - Simplicity 3531 - I made it as a gymnastics bag for Miss Gracie:

424112_2794518742209_1235641305_32196234_1267341324_n.jpg

!

So cute. And love all the things you are making yourself. I have only made applique Tshirts for myself.

DD6 loves this Belle dress. I used the same peasant dress pattern I have been using, made the skirt longer so that I could use Lastin to put make the gathers at the bottom and I added the collar to look like Belle's. DD8 is jealous of this one.

th_IMAG0303.jpg

Such cute dresses.

Boxer shorts for my BIL (long family joke about how i was going to buy Care Bears boxers for him....I will be giving them to him at the Hoop Dee Do in front of our huge party there...19 people!!)
th_IMG_3572.jpg

So they arent "Disney" items but they are going to Disney with me ;-)

That should be funny when you hand them those.

Ya'll put me to shame with your great stuff!!! I have thought about sewing for myself but at the moment having way too much fun with the kids stuff. Finally going to start on some boy stuff in the next day or two.

This isn't techincally Disney. I am trying to use it to convince my hubby that I NEED an embroidery machine for my 30th that is coming up, so I am sewing these tshirt dresses to show him how empty it looks up top. If I had an embroidery machine, Minnie or Mickey would be on the black part.

th_blacktshirt.jpg

Cute dress.... my DD won't wear anything with Disney unless we are in Disney now. Where did I go wrong:lmao:

Wow, just found out about this site over on the cruise board. The few pages I have looked thru (and I see this is the 27th thread of your work!) have some amazing work! I am expecting a granddaughter next month and made a christening dress. Please tell me it is easier to sew toddler/children's clothes! The tiny seams on the sleeves drove me nuts, lol. I saw some great digitizing too. I have a Brother Ult 2003 Disney, of course. But cant seem to get the knack for digitizing my own designs. Has anyone digitized Chip and Dale? They are my favorite and to save me from going through all these pages I would love to see if they did. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread now.

PS I am a member of a quilting guild in Lake Havasu, AZ. One of our members used to have the dress shop in Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland. She made all the princess dresses before they were commercially made.

Heather has some really cute C&D appliques. But if you are looking for filled desings you could check out Ibroidery. Those are disney designs for Brother machines.

This morning we have surgery number 2...it will be my 4 year old grand daughters 4th surgery for club foot. This will be her biggie...they are reconstructing her ankle, doing something to the top of her foot and lengthening her leg. Again we are looking at a bone graft. The doctor said it will be at least 2 years before the leg will look 'normal'. She will be in a cast up to her but cheeks for at 6 to 8 weeks and then a regular walking cast for another 6 to 8 weeks. Then a brace for the remained of the 2 year period.

As you can see...I am a bit more worried about this surgery than I will admit. I know it is going to be hard on her...and me! I can't stand to see my babies hurting and not being able to do anything about it. My daughter in law is a nervous wreck! She hasn't be able to sleep for days!

Thanks a million..

Nini

:hug: Sent prayers.

OMG so much cute stuff has been posted. Love it and am inspired by all that is posted. If you don't follow my PTR you wouldn't know but my life has been insane and we go to Disney in 21 days and I am behind with sewing. things should get easier now since I have Js IEP for next year done and was able to receive about 90% of what I wanted.

Also we are in Dance competition season so we have extra rehearsals and DH seems to have a lot of tour changes lately so I am single parenting for the most part.

I read everything even if I don't comment.

Don't forget about the launch too:rolleyes1 I don't know how you have time to sew.

QUESTION

Do you wash your fabric before you sew? We never did in Home Ec. So I wasn't sure whether to wash before or after I make the shorts??

Thanks!

I always wash my fabric and put it in the dryer. I don't like to worry about shrinkage. And flannel does shrink. I had a yard of the StarWars flannel and after washing it had shrunk.

But I don't wash my Tshirts. I like how they look so crisp and want to keep them that way for a little while.

Here is what I worked on today. First up is another upcycled dress:
th_P3160251.jpg

Wow you and Beth find some great deals. I keep saying I want to check out our local Salvation Army but never get a chance to get over there.

here is my first attempt at a you can make this pattern I am really happy with how it turned out
th_marshacamera2011-2012175.jpg

Great job and love the shirring on the back.

QUESTION

Do you wash your fabric before you sew? We never did in Home Ec. So I wasn't sure whether to wash before or after I make the shorts??

Thanks!

I'll be honest, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But, I really think you should. It's a big risk to put your time, energy and money into something only to not have it fit the first time you wash it.

P3160251.jpg

I hit the Salvation Army store on half price Wednesday. I picked up a very large woman's shirt. I used a knit dress that we already had to trace an outline of how I wanted to cut it and then kind of winged it. I am very happy with how it turned out. I bought two more shirts (for $1.50 each) to play around with. I had planned on adding an applique to the front of this one but I liked the fabric just by itself.

Then some of the knit fabric that I ordered off of Etsy arrived, along with the fold over elastic that I ordered. This was my first time using fold over elastic. I really like it. I will definitely be using it more in the future. They didn't carry it in Joanns but I was able to find a ton of really cute colors and patterns on Etsy and Ebay.
P3160252.jpg

I am not sure why but the neckline of the dress turned out kind of floppy. I didn't stretch either the material or the fold over elastic when I was sewing so I don't know what happened! Any ideas?
P3160253.jpg

These are really cute!

Wow, just found out about this site over on the cruise board. The few pages I have looked thru (and I see this is the 27th thread of your work!) have some amazing work! I am expecting a granddaughter next month and made a christening dress. Please tell me it is easier to sew toddler/children's clothes! The tiny seams on the sleeves drove me nuts, lol. I saw some great digitizing too. I have a Brother Ult 2003 Disney, of course. But cant seem to get the knack for digitizing my own designs. Has anyone digitized Chip and Dale? They are my favorite and to save me from going through all these pages I would love to see if they did. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread now.

PS I am a member of a quilting guild in Lake Havasu, AZ. One of our members used to have the dress shop in Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland. She made all the princess dresses before they were commercially made.

http://www.froufroubyheathersue.com She has adorable designs and she always has a coupon. You can sign up for her newsletter on the site and she also lists the coupons on the sidebar of her Facebook page.

Then some of the knit fabric that I ordered off of Etsy arrived, along with the fold over elastic that I ordered. This was my first time using fold over elastic. I really like it. I will definitely be using it more in the future. They didn't carry it in Joanns but I was able to find a ton of really cute colors and patterns on Etsy and Ebay.
P3160252.jpg

I am not sure why but the neckline of the dress turned out kind of floppy. I didn't stretch either the material or the fold over elastic when I was sewing so I don't know what happened! Any ideas?
P3160253.jpg

I love FOE!!! I have a rainbow of it - most of it from The Fabric Fairy (great Dis fabrics there too). If you stretch it slightly while sewing but do not stretch the garment, you will avoid the floppy look.

I cleaned up my fabric stash and rotated winter fabrics out and spring/summer stuff into my main "active" fabric queue. I cut the part of DD's Easter dress that needs to be smocked out of white linen and will take it to be pleated tomorrow.

After my son got an allergy rash in a very sensitive area from putting on a brand new bathing suit because he just couldn't wait to wear it, he decided I wasn't as crazy as he thought for washing new clothes.

How is that for a long sentence!!
I have a feeling your ds would be a wee bit embarrassed if he knew you shared that story with us :lmao:

:surfweb: Almost to page 250... :surfweb:
Yes, and I see Teresa popping in to monitor the status! I'll likely be mulching and miss the move, but then again, I hate that the first 10 pages end up being all of us posting that we made it. I might boycott and post on page 20.

th_P3160251.jpg

I hit the Salvation Army store on half price Wednesday. I picked up a very large woman's shirt. I used a knit dress that we already had to trace an outline of how I wanted to cut it and then kind of winged it. I am very happy with how it turned out. I bought two more shirts (for $1.50 each) to play around with. I had planned on adding an applique to the front of this one but I liked the fabric just by itself.

th_P3160252.jpg

th_P3160253.jpg
Very cool! I might need to get some yardsale items to experiment with (our Salvation Army usually has its clothes priced higher than what I can get on sale for brand new). I want to experiment with necklines. I'd like to be able to do the Olivia without a hood and I may need to try some of that fold over elastic to see if that would work well. For my dd's AG Olivia that I made I just lettuced the neckline and it looked cute. Not sure that would be adequate on a real person though as I worry the lettucing would stretch out the neckline a bit and alter the fit.

I do a mixture of both - it depends on the material. That's why I always wash things for BG's prior to sending them out. I also don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheet ever as I am allergic to some scents and dyes.
They make perfume free fabric softener sheets -- I use them for my dd as her skin is quite sensitive as well and she has no problems with them. I can't use fabric softener with her. I also wash in Ivory.

here is my first attempt at a you can make this pattern I am really happy with how it turned out
th_marshacamera2011-2012175.jpg

and a close up of the shiring
th_marshacamera2011-2012174.jpg

the side
th_marshacamera2011-2012172.jpg
Beautiful! I haven't seen you post in a bit. Glad to see you are still sewing :)

http://www.simplicity.com/p-6131-babies-sportswear.aspx

I want to make a romper/overalls out of a cotton Mickey fabric I got for my son... I found the pattern above is there any way I can make it so that the front and back piece are a solid piece of fabric and don't have the seam down the middle of the outfit? Like make the seams on the sides not the front and back.

I hope that makes since. You are all amazing with a sewing machine and I hope you can help me out.

TYIA

Cute dress.... my DD won't wear anything with Disney unless we are in Disney now. Where did I go wrong:lmao:

Heather has some really cute C&D appliques. But if you are looking for filled desings you could check out Ibroidery. Those are disney designs for Brother machines.

Don't forget about the launch too:rolleyes1 I don't know how you have time to sew.

My daughter calls herself a disney geek. wears her Disney shirts at home not anything over the top.

Oh I am getting ready for crunch mode. I will be fine I think I enjoy feeling stressed LMAO.

going to move my Duetta up to the Dining room table today to work on some appliques since my 770 is still in the shop. Should be ready on Monday though.

I want to make a romper/overalls out of a cotton Mickey fabric I got for my son... I found the pattern above is there any way I can make it so that the front and back piece are a solid piece of fabric and don't have the seam down the middle of the outfit? Like make the seams on the sides not the front and back.

I hope that makes since. You are all amazing with a sewing machine and I hope you can help me out.

TYIA

I don't think so, it's straight in the front, but curves down at the crotch. If you cut it across the belt line, you could do the top without the seam, but then you'd have a seam around and below the waist. I don't know the pattern on the fabric, but can you match it up enough around the chest area, that you almost wouldn't notice a seam?

Quick drive by post....

Grand Princess had a very successful surgery yesterday. It ended up lasting over an hour longer than we thought it would. They had to put a longer rod than they were expecting to (not sure why) and they had to put 2 pins in her ankle rather than one(again I don't know why) But the surgeon said they had a perfect angle on the foot and ankle and her foot is now perfectly straight. There is a 99% chance they won't have to do it again!

As to the washing fabric item...there are 3 main reasons to wash fabric first...as lots of people mentioned the shrinkage item. (that one is pretty much covered) the chemical item (which is really about 25 times worse than most people think...in fact you should always wash fabric for children ...if not before you sew, at least before you let them wear. Most of you aren't old enough to remember the problems back in the 70's...some of the chemicals they used to think were completely harmless were shown to cause cancer in children...all of the chemicals were used in the finishing of fabrics.

They did change the chemicals used. However, since then, more of the chemicals they changed to have been shown to be much worse. They are constantly trying to find new chemicals that can be used that are not harmful....with cheap being the biggest requirement. Add to that that most of the cotton fabric used in the US is no longer manufactured in the US and you run into a whole different problem with chemicals. Some of the smaller cotton mills now purchase the raw fabric overseas and then dye the fabric here...finding the finish on the fabric is harder to take the dye, they have to use more dyes and chemicals to get the fabric to 'take'

Which brings us to the third reason to wash your fabric... Bleeding. Until you at least test your fabric you will not know how the fabric will react to detergent and heat.

It only takes one fabric to shrink or bleed to ruin an outfit.

Since I have dealt with childhood cancer...I would not make any thing for my children or grand children without washing the fabric first. You can always buy the spray sizing if you really want that finish....

And one important note about starching and storing...DON'T DO IT!!! Silverfish love the starch! It is one of their favorite foods! I press my fabric (actually I take it out of the dryer awhile warm and fold) and starch it only after I am ready to cut.

I will now get off my soapbox! LOL

Yes, I grew up in an area that was full of cotton mills.... it was always a big topic around here...

Nini

hello all ,gotta go back and catch up on some post but i wanted to share these pix while i was online...i finished all the SuperHero capes and gave them to the kids in my class to celebrate our lil friend who had his cerebellum operated on almost 3 weeks ago,he's back in school and right as rain! so good to have him back and the kids loved their capes and couldn't wit to take them home!
423199_10150612933596586_555471585_9396383_1953366654_n.jpg

and here is the super Isaac pj/play set i made for my dd's friend who is headed to wdw in 10 days! 1st trip and kids have no clue,they think they are going to Texas since they are gong with g'parents and g'parents mom lives there...lol Isaac is into any and all super heros and wears a pillowcase cape with pride...so i made him his own,i had the fabric in my stash,i think it was a toddler bed top sheet...thrift store find of course...anyway here it is,just a simple sewn on emblem on tee and cape...

423199_10150612933691586_555471585_9396388_795965510_n.jpg

thanks for looking ~Beth~

Quick drive by post....

Grand Princess had a very successful surgery yesterday. It ended up lasting over an hour longer than we thought it would. They had to put a longer rod than they were expecting to (not sure why) and they had to put 2 pins in her ankle rather than one(again I don't know why) But the surgeon said they had a perfect angle on the foot and ankle and her foot is now perfectly straight. There is a 99% chance they won't have to do it again!

As to the washing fabric item...there are 3 main reasons to wash fabric first...as lots of people mentioned the shrinkage item. (that one is pretty much covered) the chemical item (which is really about 25 times worse than most people think...in fact you should always wash fabric for children ...if not before you sew, at least before you let them wear. Most of you aren't old enough to remember the problems back in the 70's...some of the chemicals they used to think were completely harmless were shown to cause cancer in children...all of the chemicals were used in the finishing of fabrics.

They did change the chemicals used. However, since then, more of the chemicals they changed to have been shown to be much worse. They are constantly trying to find new chemicals that can be used that are not harmful....with cheap being the biggest requirement. Add to that that most of the cotton fabric used in the US is no longer manufactured in the US and you run into a whole different problem with chemicals. Some of the smaller cotton mills now purchase the raw fabric overseas and then dye the fabric here...finding the finish on the fabric is harder to take the dye, they have to use more dyes and chemicals to get the fabric to 'take'

Which brings us to the third reason to wash your fabric... Bleeding. Until you at least test your fabric you will not know how the fabric will react to detergent and heat.

It only takes one fabric to shrink or bleed to ruin an outfit.

Since I have dealt with childhood cancer...I would not make any thing for my children or grand children without washing the fabric first. You can always buy the spray sizing if you really want that finish....

And one important note about starching and storing...DON'T DO IT!!! Silverfish love the starch! It is one of their favorite foods! I press my fabric (actually I take it out of the dryer awhile warm and fold) and starch it only after I am ready to cut.

I will now get off my soapbox! LOL

Yes, I grew up in an area that was full of cotton mills.... it was always a big topic around here...

Nini
First, I'm very glad the surgery went well :)

Second, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with chemicals. I didn't want you all to think I was crazy and totally OCD, so Nini, I am glad I am in good company with you :) The chemicals weird me out more than shrinking or fading. And that is why I am baffled why GKTW prefers their fabrics to not be washed :confused3 They did tell me I could use prewashed and to just let them know. I wash everything for BGs in Ivory as I think most people are good with that. I also use Arm and Hammer free detergent but my dd sometimes itches with that so I only use Ivory for her and for BG kids.

You could be like my ds and do your first load of laundry without detergent (dh taught him, and thankfully within one minute of the cycle I inquired as to which detergent he used so caught it). Now all I have to do is iron the shirts he (and dh) put away in a wrinkled ball :sad2:

TYIA

Not sure why you don't want a seam down the front....it really is so the crotch curve is right. If you are going to embroider the front you can embroider over the seam.....I just press my seam flat, stabilize, and use the seam for lining up the design straight. just a thought.

if I don't see ya'll before the move have a great saturday!

TYIA

Try it by lining up the straight seam of the front on the fold, but do it in a practice fabric/muslin. Otherwise, I would focus on lining up the pattern at the front chest. I think it will look fine if you do that.

Nini - glad to hear DGD's surgery went well.

So I have finished another day...The day that we eat at the San Angel Inn and hunt down Senor Donald.

429011_379994245353182_366965016656105_1390511_2004326498_n.jpg

423874_379994218686518_366965016656105_1390510_263941779_n.jpg

423742_379994292019844_366965016656105_1390512_120844257_n.jpg

423900_379994318686508_366965016656105_1390513_2006062179_n.jpg

Embroidery HELP!
Sorry for the drive by posting. I've been so busy lately. I should have known I'd never be able to keep up with all you ladies. There are soooo many cute things that have been posted.

I need some serious help. I started an embroidery design last night, but didn't finish. I left it hooped and just tried to pick up from where I left off and the stitches are not in the right place. They are about 1/8" off to the side. The design fills the hoop, so I can't adjust the layout. I can't figure out why this would happen. Has anybody done this before and is there a way to fix it or do I need to start completely over?

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched through some of your posts, but there is just so much info.
How are y'all making these characters with different dresses on? For example, I really, really want a Minnie as Cinderella. Is there any way to get that as a patch or some type of applique that I can use to personalize an item and not already made onto an item.

Please PM if you have one available. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!