Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Probably not. Lol. I did get it off of Pinterest. I guess I just worry and wanted some reassurance by someone who did it. I have done some recipies on Pinterest that claim to be awesome and were gross! I take pinterest with a grain of salt. ;)

True. But it's a good place to search for a multitude of tutorials that you can use as a guideline. I certainly have had some "pinstrocities" myself. I think if you did 1/4 inch seams you should be ok. But then I haven't done it so take me with a grain of salt too!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm looking for something simple & not wanting to buy a pattern. I will have to look at the photo album. Mom can make stuff just by looking at a picture.

I'm doing safari vests for my 7yo nef and 4yo niece for AK. They can be anything from simple tan vests to adding tons of pockets and embroidery. If she doesn't have embroidery capabilities add some strips of animal prints to the tops of pockets, etc. Also, google screen printing. You can set up a very simple screenprint using a wooden photo frame or canvas stretcher and duct tape (gotta love that duct tape) and some old sheer curtains.

Well, I don't get to spend anytime on my Disney outfits for a couple of days (and we're down to 43 days) because I'll be out of town at quilting classes. I did bring my laptop with the digitizing software; so maybe I can get some stuff done. I'm working on a blue tang fish (read that as Dory with no licensing issues) and I need to decide whether to try to put a safari hat on a Disney character, put Mickey ears on an animal of some sort, or break down and buy a large design off of ibroidery while they're still on sale.

Now for the big news of the day, I've been using my mother's old Husqvarna Platinum 955e. Not a bad machine (and it was free), but a couple of buttons don't work and it is a PAIN to line up designs (especially if the power blinks in the middle of your design). My mother's been using a Husqvarna Diamond, but finds it a challenge. You have to remember the exact button sequence to get to your embroidery designs and get them set up. And they aren't really labeled well.

Sooo, today she ordered a Babylock Elissimo. Which means I get the Diamond!! Major upgrade from the Plantinum (and I don't really have any problem remembering what buttons do what) Yay! Of course, I'll have most of my Disney embroidery done by the time I get it.

Thank you ladies. I'm looking for something simple & not wanting to buy a pattern. I will have to look at the photo album. Mom can make stuff just by looking at a picture.

I didn't use a special "vest" pattern for the safari vests, I actually used a pattern I already had to get the shape/size right. I did use the bowling shirt pattern since that is what I had, but you could use any shirt pattern or just a shirt to trace. I just left off the sleeves, collar, plackets, didn't use buttons etc. There is a mickey mouse head on the back that is embroidered with my regular sewing machine, I just traced a mickey head and went over it with a tight zig-zag. The same with the little one on the pocket.

Enabler Alert

8 Claws and a Paw has their font membership available for a short time. Over 600 fonts for $30. The only trick is downloading them all in a month.

Here's the link:http://www.8clawsandapaw.com/

Regards,
C.

I did this when they offered it in December and I love it. It took me a couple days but I got a little system down for downloading them, went to the "all" list, opened them up in tabs, purchased 10 at a time for about half an hour, then went back and downloaded each of the orders I did. I think I spent a week maybe an hour a day buying and downloading. It would be nice if they offered it like their CD and just one downloadable file. But totally worth the cost and the time!

Here is a picture of my Autograph quilt from our trip last August. It has been sitting on my sewing machine since our trip and I finally got my rear end in gear to get it done! (we need a sewing maching smiley) ;) The signatures on the red look fuzzy for some reason, but they aren't. I realized putting it together that Lady Tremaine, Drizella and Anastasia signed in color and not black ink like everyone else. I guess even in autographs they go against the rules. :rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't remember this at that time.

Love what Prince Eric drew. :) :)

Probably not. Lol. I did get it off of Pinterest. I guess I just worry and wanted some reassurance by someone who did it. I have done some recipies on Pinterest that claim to be awesome and were gross! I take pinterest with a grain of salt. ;)

I have made several and they only fray down to where they are cut...if that makes sense.

I have made several and they only fray down to where they are cut...if that makes sense.

It does. :goodvibes Thank you. :yay: :) My mind is at ease from an experienced rag quilter. I didn't wash it because I don't want to chance the ink running. Even though it is fabric ink. I just put it in the dryer and will probably do it again when I get home.

ceemys said:
Here is a picture of my Autograph quilt from our trip last August. It has been sitting on my sewing machine since our trip and I finally got my rear end in gear to get it done! (we need a sewing maching smiley) ;) The signatures on the red look fuzzy for some reason, but they aren't. I realized putting it together that Lady Tremaine, Drizella and Anastasia signed in color and not black ink like everyone else. I guess even in autographs they go against the rules. :rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't remember this at that time.
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/ceemys67/media/94cfc7c1-a86c-432b-b28f-46afb5244481.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/ceemys67/media/669ed208-9cd3-4c86-b228-cd095a015d55.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/ceemys67/media/princeEric.jpg.html

Love this, great idea!

Also, my memory is soo bad lately. I saw wonderful things as usual and never got the chance to comment on them. Everything I saw was great!
My phone only shows photos the first time I open the page. If I try to look again later the photos are gone. I can see them on the web, but am usually always on my phone. Its frustrating. I wonder if there is a seetting to change this. It would make quoting easier for me. I need to just comment when I first see something. I will try to keep up.

Well, Miss K had a BLAST at the Imagination Movers concert, and got loads of compliments on her dress -- including from Mover Dave! However, the pics are on my mom's camera, and I don't have them yet....

But I do have a pic of the first custom for our fall trip! It uses the same pattern and I decided to skip way ahead on my to-do list so that I could be done with that particular pattern (a Simplicity). So, here is Miss K's AK custom!

Oh this is so cute Jennie!!!

This is ah-mazing!!!!!!!

Hello everyone!!! We are heading back in....ready??? 9 DAYS!!! Single Digits!!!! :cool1:

So I have a list each day, cause, ya know, we all procrastinate SO much.... At least I do. And I am still on yesterday's list. :upsidedow

Here are a few things I have done!

I also started a PTR, link is in my siggy!!!

I was actually thinking about your family the other day - I am glad to see that you will be going on a trip soon! The outfits look great! I can't wait to see pictures of the outfits in action.

Now for the big news of the day, I've been using my mother's old Husqvarna Platinum 955e. Not a bad machine (and it was free), but a couple of buttons don't work and it is a PAIN to line up designs (especially if the power blinks in the middle of your design). My mother's been using a Husqvarna Diamond, but finds it a challenge. You have to remember the exact button sequence to get to your embroidery designs and get them set up. And they aren't really labeled well.

Sooo, today she ordered a Babylock Elissimo. Which means I get the Diamond!! Major upgrade from the Plantinum (and I don't really have any problem remembering what buttons do what) Yay! Of course, I'll have most of my Disney embroidery done by the time I get it.

Congrats on getting a new to you machine! Please post a picture when you get it!

Great job on the quilt! By the way, congrats on over 1/2 way to your down payment goal!

That is so totally adorable!!! :thumbsup2 Did you have the characters sign the fabric or did you somehow transfer the signatures to the fabric squares? If you did transfer them, how did you do it?

This thread got me started on sewing. My mom bought a Laura Ashley brother machine about 8 months ago. We have loved having it and I have 19 shirts for our upcoming trip (will hopefully get a pic tomorrow). Well last weekend we went to a 2 day sewing event at our local store and mom bought a 10 Needle brother embroidery machine!!!! I can't believe she got it, that things huge but very nice. They had to order it as they only had one and someone else had purchased it. I can't wait to get it and play. Luckily the ladies are great and lessons come with each machine you buy. We are keeping the other machine too, plus she has an old singer sewing machine. We are moving all out stuff to a bigger room in her house!

Sounds great!:thumbsup2 So jealous! How do you find sewing events to go to? I saw there was one in Cleveland back in March. Wish i had known about it then. I would be in heaven.
I know they have show specials so may I ask about approximately how much a 10 needle machine costs? I cannot find a price on the internet, just to get an idea if that is a "wishes bigger than budget" amount. I look on Craigslist all the time! If the question is intrusive, I apologize.

Love the autograph quilt! That is awesome!!

I'm looking to maybe get some animal print fabric & have her make the girls jumpers w/plain Mickey or Minnie head. Then do opposite for my son, plain jon-jon type thimg w/animal print Mickey head. What you think? Maybe giraffe or leopard print & orange?

This is ah-mazing!!!!!!!

Great job on the quilt! By the way, congrats on over 1/2 way to your down payment goal!

Thanks! Saving is hard work but SO worth it in the end. :cool1:

That is so totally adorable!!! :thumbsup2 Did you have the characters sign the fabric or did you somehow transfer the signatures to the fabric squares? If you did transfer them, how did you do it?

Love the autograph quilt! That is awesome!!

Love this, great idea. up.

Thank you all!! :flower3: I cut out the squares before I left (went in August 2012), used an embroidery hoop to hold the fabric and had them sign the fabric pieces. Bought the batting only last weekend then Had extra fabric for the backing to match. Found the border at Walmart of all places. Lol.

Everyone here inspires me to sew. This is how I relax. I just love looking at everyone's pieces. One of these days I will get an embroidery machine.

Sounds great!:thumbsup2 So jealous! How do you find sewing events to go to? I saw there was one in Cleveland back in March. Wish i had known about it then. I would be in heaven.
I know they have show specials so may I ask about approximately how much a 10 needle machine costs? I cannot find a price on the internet, just to get an idea if that is a "wishes bigger than budget" amount. I look on Craigslist all the time! If the question is intrusive, I apologize.

The companies are pretty tight with the details on pricing which I found so frustrating. At the expo I went to last month they quoted me $10k for a six needle. I didn't inquire about the 10. They said it included a stand that is $1000 and software that I know I've been quoted $2500 for so who really knows how much just the machine is. They also said it included scissors which I sorta laughed at. I did end up getting a single needle larger hoop machine which they also threw in scissors. And I saved thousands of dollars! I haven't opened the box since I have a dozen pairs of scissors and didn't need 9 more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Evidently my computer has gone back to not allowing me to quote...so we are working off my feeble memory here...

The only thing I can remember is the autograph quilt! Love it! My family is so tired of seeing autograph quilts they start rolling their eyes when I talk about it! LOL! I have never made a raggy quilt in my life...but the one that D~ made for her new nephew made me want to but with all that cutting... I know my arthritis would not be happy!

When I make my autograph quilts, I use regular cotton woven fabrics and fabric markers. I iron freezer paper to the backs of the squares, and carry a small clipboard for the characters to sign. I throw it all in a plastic baggie or two... One of my favorite embellishments is to add an applique to each square before I go of the character I want to sign each square...

So far I have only made 4...and have enough squares for another 3 or 4...

Nini

Everyone here inspires me to sew. This is how I relax. I just love looking at everyone's pieces. One of these days I will get an embroidery machine.

Me too - And I just got an embroidery machine. Everyone is always so supportive here as well. It's a friendly place to spend some time

Genie, which was a barely used floor model, was under 10k. I also got it when Brother was running a sale so I got $2500 in rebate and the shop owner threw in quite a few other things.

I'm looking to maybe get some animal print fabric & have her make the girls jumpers w/plain Mickey or Minnie head. Then do opposite for my son, plain jon-jon type thimg w/animal print Mickey head. What you think? Maybe giraffe or leopard print & orange?

I think that sounds like a lovely idea for AK outfits!

I agree that saving is hard work but totally worth it. We paid off our mortgage last year and Genie the embroidery machine was our celebration gift. ;)

Me too - And I just got an embroidery machine. Everyone is always so supportive here as well. It's a friendly place to spend some time

Genie, which was a barely used floor model, was under 10k. I also got it when Brother was running a sale so I got $2500 in rebate and the shop owner threw in quite a few other things.

I think that sounds like a lovely idea for AK outfits!

I agree that saving is hard work but totally worth it. We paid off our mortgage last year and Genie the embroidery machine was our celebration gift. ;)

Congrats on y'all's machine! Exciting. :goodvibes

I was actually thinking about your family the other day - I am glad to see that you will be going on a trip soon! The outfits look great! I can't wait to see pictures of the outfits in action.

Aww!! :flower3: We are excited! Especially Gabriel!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter