Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hey guys - I haven't been on here in quite some time. With the new baby, we did not make a trip to the World last summer, but we are booked and excited for this summer.

I've made both of my older girls outfits for previous trips, but this time it'll be different - we have a boy now! Yippee! He'll only be 15 months when we go down but I would love to make him coordinating outfits. Has anyone made a prince charming outfit for a little one before? Something comfy but still looks like the prince?

Open to any ideas or pics.
Thanks!!

The companies are pretty tight with the details on pricing which I found so frustrating. At the expo I went to last month they quoted me $10k for a six needle. I didn't inquire about the 10. They said it included a stand that is $1000 and software that I know I've been quoted $2500 for so who really knows how much just the machine is. They also said it included scissors which I sorta laughed at. I did end up getting a single needle larger hoop machine which they also threw in scissors. And I saved thousands of dollars! I haven't opened the box since I have a dozen pairs of scissors and didn't need 9 more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I find it frustrating too. I want/need a price to see if the purchase is realistic for me at the time. BTW, you can never have enough scissors!:rotfl:

Hey everyone I am looking for some advice. I now have 5 requests for First Trip dresses similar to the red/black/yellow one I did a few weeks ago. They are pending price info of course as I haven't decided on a price and this is what I need help with! I know that I can't go less than $60 a dress the amount of work especially with the appliquees is crazy. The appliquees could take up to 2-3 hours of continuous work. some of course are so much simplier.
I know if I charged what I really thought it was worse people would be scared off, but I do want to make sure it is worth my time to make them. Any suggestions is $60 an okay price?

Thanks
Erin

Hey guys - I haven't been on here in quite some time. With the new baby, we did not make a trip to the World last summer, but we are booked and excited for this summer.

I've made both of my older girls outfits for previous trips, but this time it'll be different - we have a boy now! Yippee! He'll only be 15 months when we go down but I would love to make him coordinating outfits. Has anyone made a prince charming outfit for a little one before? Something comfy but still looks like the prince?

Thanks!!
Funny, I was JUST looking into Prince outfits myself. I have twin boys and we are going for their 4th birthday. They are in LOVE with princesses and one said to me the other day, even though we have not told them we are going back, "Mommy we should go to that castle at Disney World and meet a princess." so we are going to try to book breakfast at the castle for my two boys. and you'd better believe I will Prince them up! I found this tutorial which is adorable. For me, though I am trying to decide whether to do two of the same prince or do two princes. The only movies they are familiar with are Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, neither of which has a particularly princely outfit I think. I was thinking of just doing whatever I decide out of cotton like their bowling shirts are so they are comfy and don't overheat.

Hey everyone I am looking for some advice. I now have 5 requests for First Trip dresses similar to the red/black/yellow one I did a few weeks ago. They are pending price info of course as I haven't decided on a price and this is what I need help with! I know that I can't go less than $60 a dress the amount of work especially with the appliquees is crazy. The appliquees could take up to 2-3 hours of continuous work. some of course are so much simplier.
I know if I charged what I really thought it was worse people would be scared off, but I do want to make sure it is worth my time to make them. Any suggestions is $60 an okay price?

Thanks
Erin
For the dress I would say a minimum of $45-50, then add a set $ amount for each applique. $8 maybe? I found that if you do it for less than you'd like you just end up resenting it while you are doing it, or maybe that is just me? ;) I would generally charge about $50-55 for a simply sweet w/ 1 applique, so for the more labor-intensive 1st visit dress I would do $75 at least. Don't sell yourself short. :)

I ordered some knits from Girl Charlee yesterday to go with the Jackson Funktional Threads pattern I picked up friday to make more boy shirts. It looks like the rachel dress in the upcycling potential, but I am going to do it with the new cutie Lumiere and Cogsworth designs by MissKenize Mac, which I also bought. So begins the outfit planning for our trip... Which means I HAVE To get the BOG reservation at our 180 window next week. I blame all of you, BTW for this obsession. :rotfl2:

Hey guys!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work!!! I signed up to be a giver, although I can't sew, lol, I want to be able to give to the kids!!
I'm a 26 year old stay at home to mom to Alexandria, my little girl. She's 5 and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2, so she can't walk or crawl, and were going on a Wish trip July 11-17 to Disney World!! She is sooooo excited!! You should have seen her face when we told her she was going!! She had the biggest smile imaginable!! Ever since then it's been, "Mommy, when are we going to Disney World? Can we go today??" haha!!
Anyways, I just wanted to stop by and say I hope to be a big giver one day!! A little pixie dust always lifts the spirits!!:cool1:

Funny, I was JUST looking into Prince outfits myself. I have twin boys and we are going for their 4th birthday. They are in LOVE with princesses and one said to me the other day, even though we have not told them we are going back, "Mommy we should go to that castle at Disney World and meet a princess." so we are going to try to book breakfast at the castle for my two boys. and you'd better believe I will Prince them up! I found this tutorial which is adorable. For me, though I am trying to decide whether to do two of the same prince or do two princes. The only movies they are familiar with are Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, neither of which has a particularly princely outfit I think. I was thinking of just doing whatever I decide out of cotton like their bowling shirts are so they are comfy and don't overheat.

Thanks! I have that costume pinned! The bowling shirt is a good idea too...I haven't tried one of those yet though!

Hey guys!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work!!! I signed up to be a giver, although I can't sew, lol, I want to be able to give to the kids!!
I'm a 26 year old stay at home to mom to Alexandria, my little girl. She's 5 and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2, so she can't walk or crawl, and were going on a Wish trip July 11-17 to Disney World!! She is sooooo excited!! You should have seen her face when we told her she was going!! She had the biggest smile imaginable!! Ever since then it's been, "Mommy, when are we going to Disney World? Can we go today??" haha!!
Anyways, I just wanted to stop by and say I hope to be a big giver one day!! A little pixie dust always lifts the spirits!!:cool1:

How wonderful that you signed up to be a giver! We have several former wish families that are now givers :). Not sewing is not a problem! Everyone can give! You can do what is called "pixie dust!". Stickers, little card games just fun little "extras". I often shop the after holiday sales to buy just for pixie dust!

Thanks! I have that costume pinned! The bowling shirt is a good idea too...I haven't tried one of those yet though!

I am crazy-addicted to the bowling shirts (not that there are endless options for boys...) and have made literally dozens. I love them. The pattern is so well-written and so amazingly versatile. And they are SO stinkin' cute on. I suspect I will just do a variation for prince outfits and use the same pattern, just get rid of the separate placket and add the frilly stuff. Of course, I am not cutting a thread until I actually make a reservation to meet the princesses...

How wonderful that you signed up to be a giver! We have several former wish families that are now givers :). Not sewing is not a problem! Everyone can give! You can do what is called "pixie dust!". Stickers, little card games just fun little "extras". I often shop the after holiday sales to buy just for pixie dust!

That's awesome!! I know Michaels has a section ranging from like $1-$5 and they have Disney princess and tink stuff!! Plus Walmart has a wide variety of stuff Disney related!!

Thanks
Erin

My gut reaction was $60 is WAY too little for that dress, but I completely understand the not wanting to scare anyone away.

I would second GoTeamWood - her idea of a base price plus $X per Applique is downright brilliant. That way they can choose how much they want to spend and make it as elaborate as they want - or not.

Good Luck!

I really hope you get to go see the princesses for your little princes, GoTeamWood. I really want to see what you cook up for prince costumes.

Thanks!!

Welcome back! Congratulations on going on a trip as a larger family! I wonder if a jon-jon style outfit will work well for your 15 month old.

Thanks
Erin

$60 a dress is way too low. I would start with a base price of $x for the dress (based on time and material cost - I would make sure that you list the amount of material needed and the regular price). For each applique, you would add $y (based on the size and complexity - make sure you include the time required to do a "normal" applique). I think people will quickly realize that you are working at less than $5 an hour by the time you account for materials.

Welcome! Congratulations on your Wish trip! I hope you will have a lovely trip with your daugther and make lots of special memories together.

But I do have a pic of the first custom for our fall trip! It uses the same pattern and I decided to skip way ahead on my to-do list so that I could be done with that particular pattern (a Simplicity). So, here is Miss K's AK custom!

th_IMG_5630_zpsb273c065.jpg

This is really cute!

And on a different note: booked a Disney world trip today for my boys' birthday again. We had such a great time over Halloween last year we decided to go again. Major deciding factor: my friend's dvc they aren't using this year. We are staying at animal kingdom. Now to plan the outfits and stalk the dining reservations ... And while the shirts I made for last year still fit, they are getting short on one kid. (regretting making them the shortest version, otherwise they would sill fit for a while. ) plus I am hoping for a growth spurt from the littler one as of right now one is taller than the required height for the bigger rides at 41" and the other is still around 38".

Yay for a new trip! I hope your little guy gets that growth spurt soon! My middle son was at 38" last year and was so bummed that his brother got to ride a few things without him.

The bat mitzvah rehearsal went great. The girls had a few very minor glitches so they will definitely be ready. The actual date is May 11. It is coming up very fast! This weekend is the play at their middle school. My older daughter is in the play so are kind of consumed with that this week. After that I think the girls will get super excited about their bat mitzvah.

What beach are you going to? I love the idea of seersucker shorts and sand castle t-shirts. You should be able to get some very cute pictures with them in matching outfits.

Glad to hear the rehearsal went well! Only two more weeks! How exciting!

We're going to Myrtle Beach. I'm so hoping for really warm, relaxing days!

Here are a few things I have done!
th_164629_595798777098796_896677906_n_zps911d8935.jpg

th_20130420_144730_zps53579a78.jpg

th_20130420_144603_zps43d91998.jpg

th_20130417_010806_zps5551bd56.jpg

th_426946_546075318737809_61707008_n_zps808276b5.jpg

I also started a PTR, link is in my siggy!!!

Everything is adorable! My favorites are the crab outfits! So cute!

Here is a picture of my Autograph quilt from our trip last August. It has been sitting on my sewing machine since our trip and I finally got my rear end in gear to get it done! (we need a sewing maching smiley) ;) The signatures on the red look fuzzy for some reason, but they aren't. I realized putting it together that Lady Tremaine, Drizella and Anastasia signed in color and not black ink like everyone else. I guess even in autographs they go against the rules. :rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't remember this at that time.

I accidentally deleted the pic, but your quilt is so great!

Thanks
Erin

I think $60 is way too low. There were, what, 7 appliqués? Jen's formula sounds like a great idea, though! Miss KenzieMac just posted this formula which might also be helpful:

time+materials=cost. cost*2=wholesale price. wholesale*2=retail price

Regards,
C.

WOW it seems I only get to post once a month now. :confused:

We are back from our trip and we had some extra pixie dust sprinkled on us. I had made us all matching shirts for dinner at BOG. Before dinner we did ETWB. Usually only the kids get a picture with Belle.

Well the CMs loved our shirts that they let us take a family portrait. They were so funny wanting to know where I had purchased them. When I told them I made them they told me that did them no good :lmao: (As soon as I get pictures form the photopass CD I will post them).

I have done some sewing. We had a launch just before we left and here was my outfit.

Minnieseta_zps186c2d1a.jpg

Alicia - I love the outfits you made for your gang. Your DD is getting so old but I love how you have made her are perfect for, dare I say, a tween. :goodvibes

Here is a picture of my Autograph quilt from our trip last August. It has been sitting on my sewing machine since our trip and I finally got my rear end in gear to get it done! (we need a sewing maching smiley) ;) The signatures on the red look fuzzy for some reason, but they aren't. I realized putting it together that Lady Tremaine, Drizella and Anastasia signed in color and not black ink like everyone else. I guess even in autographs they go against the rules. :rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't remember this at that time.
Love your colorful autograph quilt. It looks so warm and cozy. Prince Eric is quite an artist. He must have liked the idea of the quilt. The edging is perfect!!!

Thanks!!
Never made a prince outfit but that tutorial looks really cute. I saw someone who made some really cute red shorts and added two white buttons. Matched it with a black t-shirt and the little boy looked like a little Mickey Mouse. I thought it was so cute and was so sad I saw it after my son was way old to wear that outfit.

Thanks
Erin
Yeah, $65 is WAY too low for the dress that you made. I like the formula others have suggested. Of course, I don't sell my stuff but I know you worked way too hard on that dress to only sell it for $65 (Canadian or US) :)
When you list your "new" price you might have some folks say no but you can't underprice your hard work to please potential customers.

:
That sounds like a cute idea.

Welcome!!!

We are back from our trip and we had some extra pixie dust sprinkled on us. I had made us all matching shirts for dinner at BOG. Before dinner we did ETWB. Usually only the kids get a picture with Belle.

Well the CMs loved our shirts that they let us take a family portrait. They were so funny wanting to know where I had purchased them. When I told them I made them they told me that did them no good :lmao: (As soon as I get pictures form the photopass CD I will post them).

I have done some sewing. We had a launch just before we left and here was my outfit.

th_Minnieseta_zps186c2d1a.jpg
:cool1: Can't wait to see your photopass pictures. Your visit with Belle sounds perfect. Love the Minnie set, so cute.

Hi everyone!

I feel a little overwhelmed in here. ;-) First time posting in here.

1. Wow. You guys are amazing! I WISH I could sew like you guys!

2. I'm hoping you can help or lead me in a direction. I will be taking my Girl Scout troop to Disney in June 2015. Those of you familiar with Girl Scouts know that we'll need a "Disney Fun Patch". I can't find anything anywhere!!! Is there anyone who makes patches here? I know that is incredibly strange. IF no one does, do you have ANY ideas for me on where to get some?

I don't want just plain ones, I need a Mickey head or something in a circle patch with our troop number maybe and "Disney 2015" or something.

HELP (if you can!) ;-)

Jenny

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. Around 8 last night we heard that he was coming home and to give him a few days to settle in before we inundated the family with visitors. He unexpectedly died this morning. Thank you all anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hug:

I finally finished my nieces 1st birthday dress I still have the hat to make and to find out if it fits her but still done. I made a reversible jacket for it following a youtube video and it actually came out right.

I also made her a neon pink and blue tutu with a tulle hair bow to match and a tulle dress for pictures.

I loved the dress and jacket. I'm sure it will be a huge hit at the party!

I am still playing with my new toy in a limited fashion because I have about 5 embroidery thread colors, but trying things out I am.

Such as this: A French Inspired Mug Rug > not specifically Disney, but a definate idea for, say, an EPCOT inspired something.
I don't know if you can see the truely horrible stitching on the right side of the Eiffel Tower, but I was overthinking my applique at that point. I got it right on the left side, though. The back makes up for it though, I love the vintage fabrics and the improvised French flag.

The wording was the very first thing I did on the new machine. I am quite pleased and am looking forward to more fun!!

And all the fabric came form my stash!!

Yay for having time to play with your machine! Clever use of colors for the flag and great job on the lettering. I can't see anything wrong with the Eiffel tower, but I'm sure you've worked it out now. Have fun!

This thread got me started on sewing. My mom bought a Laura Ashley brother machine about 8 months ago. We have loved having it and I have 19 shirts for our upcoming trip (will hopefully get a pic tomorrow). Well last weekend we went to a 2 day sewing event at our local store and mom bought a 10 Needle brother embroidery machine!!!! I can't believe she got it, that things huge but very nice. They had to order it as they only had one and someone else had purchased it. I can't wait to get it and play. Luckily the ladies are great and lessons come with each machine you buy. We are keeping the other machine too, plus she has an old singer sewing machine. We are moving all out stuff to a bigger room in her house!

Congrats on the new 10 needle machine!! I would say you'll be needing a bigger room for sure. Great problem to have! Enjoy!

I have picked up a couple patterns too. I got the Rachel Knit dress (and went to the thrift store for some up-cyclable t-shirts) and a couple more. On my agenda is sewing with knits. I have been searching all the remnant bins for some knits to practice with and scored big time at Hancock fabrics with a yard of pink with white pokladots! Woo hoo!

I also wanted to share this, it made my day, I made these shirts before we left on our road trip and today was the girls' birthday. Their mom showed the bakery the shirts and they made cakes to match. How cute are these?

I remember those cute shirts and the cakes are awesome! I'm sure they were all such a huge hit at the party!!

Well, Miss K had a BLAST at the Imagination Movers concert, and got loads of compliments on her dress -- including from Mover Dave! However, the pics are on my mom's camera, and I don't have them yet....

But I do have a pic of the first custom for our fall trip! It uses the same pattern and I decided to skip way ahead on my to-do list so that I could be done with that particular pattern (a Simplicity). So, here is Miss K's AK custom!

Love the AK outfit and the fact that you're getting a jump on your sewing for your trip! Way to go.

What do you stabilize the shoulders with? (which it probably says in the pattern but I haven't looked)

And on a different note: booked a Disney world trip today for my boys' birthday again. We had such a great time over Halloween last year we decided to go again. Major deciding factor: my friend's dvc they aren't using this year. We are staying at animal kingdom. Now to plan the outfits and stalk the dining reservations ... And while the shirts I made for last year still fit, they are getting short on one kid. (regretting making them the shortest version, otherwise they would sill fit for a while. ) plus I am hoping for a growth spurt from the littler one as of right now one is taller than the required height for the bigger rides at 41" and the other is still around 38".

:cool1::cool1::cool1: Yay for another Disney trip!! And another MNSSHP!! Have fun sewing and planning.

Hello everyone!!! We are heading back in....ready??? 9 DAYS!!! Single Digits!!!! :cool1:

So I have a list each day, cause, ya know, we all procrastinate SO much.... At least I do. And I am still on yesterday's list. :upsidedow

Here are a few things I have done!
I also started a PTR, link is in my siggy!!!

I loved everything you did! Boy, you've been busy. Only a couple of days before your trip now. Have a really fun and safe time, and say hello to Mickey for us!

I'm doing safari vests for my 7yo nef and 4yo niece for AK. They can be anything from simple tan vests to adding tons of pockets and embroidery. If she doesn't have embroidery capabilities add some strips of animal prints to the tops of pockets, etc. Also, google screen printing. You can set up a very simple screenprint using a wooden photo frame or canvas stretcher and duct tape (gotta love that duct tape) and some old sheer curtains.

Well, I don't get to spend anytime on my Disney outfits for a couple of days (and we're down to 43 days) because I'll be out of town at quilting classes. I did bring my laptop with the digitizing software; so maybe I can get some stuff done. I'm working on a blue tang fish (read that as Dory with no licensing issues) and I need to decide whether to try to put a safari hat on a Disney character, put Mickey ears on an animal of some sort, or break down and buy a large design off of ibroidery while they're still on sale.

Now for the big news of the day, I've been using my mother's old Husqvarna Platinum 955e. Not a bad machine (and it was free), but a couple of buttons don't work and it is a PAIN to line up designs (especially if the power blinks in the middle of your design). My mother's been using a Husqvarna Diamond, but finds it a challenge. You have to remember the exact button sequence to get to your embroidery designs and get them set up. And they aren't really labeled well.

Sooo, today she ordered a Babylock Elissimo. Which means I get the Diamond!! Major upgrade from the Plantinum (and I don't really have any problem remembering what buttons do what) Yay! Of course, I'll have most of my Disney embroidery done by the time I get it.

Congrats on the upgrade!! And the Elissimo Gold is the machine I really wanted. That baby does it all! Have lots of fun when you get your machine!

Love what Prince Eric drew. :) :)

You did a wonderful job on that quilt and it is such a clever idea! I love it!

Welcome! I'm so glad you got the MAW trip and that your little one is so excited to go! It will be here before you know it!

So fun that you got your family portrait and lots of love for your shirts. All the hard work paid off for sure. Can't wait to see a pic! Also, love the launch outfit!

I'm back from spending a week in Virginia helping my daughter pack to move to Colorado. Had fun with the grandkids and did lots of work. Then, came home and drove the opposite direction for the weekend to watch our DDIL run her first 1/2 marathon. I've been up all night, so it was a chance to get caught up on email and the DIS.

Diane, I can' believe the BatMitzvah is just around the corner! Hope your DD's play goes well and then the excitement grows for the BIG EVENT!! You've been planning for so long and I know it will be wonderful!

I hate to get behind on this thread, but I probably will again since I'm going to travel out to Colorado with my DD and her family and stay a week to help unpack and with the kids. Then I'm going to spend a few days with my sister and her hubby (my DH will join me there). She lives in Dallas area. Then it's back to Virginia for my DGD's 6th birthday and for DH to help with a construction project DSIL is working on. So May is pretty well shot, but I'm hoping to get some beach towels embroidered for all the grands and I have a little outfit almost finished for my 9 month old DGD, plus several things I want to do in the next 5 days. How much I'll get done, who knows, since I have housework that got neglected while I was away as well. At least at my sister's we'll just lay out by the pool and eat out. I think I'll be ready for that!

Hope all of you who are getting new or new-to-you machines have fun playing with them and hope everyone has fun sewing this week. I love coming on here and seeing what everyone else has been doing!

miprender said:

Very cute! Whose applique is that? I love it! Can't wait to see family photos of your shirts.

Hi everyone!

I feel a little overwhelmed in here. ;-) First time posting in here.

1. Wow. You guys are amazing! I WISH I could sew like you guys!

2. I'm hoping you can help or lead me in a direction. I will be taking my Girl Scout troop to Disney in June 2015. Those of you familiar with Girl Scouts know that we'll need a "Disney Fun Patch". I can't find anything anywhere!!! Is there anyone who makes patches here? I know that is incredibly strange. IF no one does, do you have ANY ideas for me on where to get some?

I don't want just plain ones, I need a Mickey head or something in a circle patch with our troop number maybe and "Disney 2015" or something.

HELP (if you can!) ;-)

Jenny
Welcome! That sounds like a REALLY fun GS trip. :)

You also might try calling the GS service unit store that is local to Orlando and see if they have something in their GS shop. I imagine that local Girl Scouts visit WDW often and they might have a patch at their store.

Welcome! That sounds like a REALLY fun GS trip. :)

You also might try calling the GS service unit store that is local to Orlando and see if they have something in their GS shop. I imagine that local Girl Scouts visit WDW often and they might have a patch at their store.

Unfortunately I called and it's a no. :-(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!