Discouraged......Coral Reef

TLHB70

DIS Veteran
I have already made PS for the Coral Reef restaurant for our upcoming trip. We have never eaten there before, and my hubby really wanted to go. He is a seafood fanatic!!! (We are from Louisiana so he loves great seafood!!!) However, I have to admit, after reading the comments on this board I am somewhat discouraged. The overall idea that I am getting is that it is way overpriced and has terrible food. Is that correct? Does anyone like it? I know that the atmosphere is great, but is it worth the price? I am wondering if I should cancel PS here and go to another place. We will be in Epcot that day. Any other suggestions?

If you are used to great seafood, I think you will be disappointed. We live in NJ and get excellent fresh fish all the time. My husband's salmon preparation is superior to what we had last week at Coral Reef--for 1/4 the price. I don't eat shellfish and only enjoy flounder, scrod, and other fairly mild white fish and there was nothing for me on the menu. They wanted a fortune for a measly bony perch! The chicken dish I had was quite good, but we wound up paying $50 for two entrees and iced tea. Not my idea of a value--not matter how pretty the view was.

These are just my opinions from a recent visit--some seem to enjoy Coral Reef.

As far as other EPCOT restaurants, there are many excellent ones. We love LeCellier (hubby had excellent trout) and San Angel Inn. I have heard that Akershus has some great seafood on the buffet. Also, you can go though the International Gateway and take a walk to Spoodles on the Boardwalk. They also have good seafood dishes.

Good luck!

We normally do one PS a day and one counter service meal a day. (We eat breakfast in the room.) All of our other times in Epcot we have made our PS at San Angel in Mexico. We always love it. However, my husband is wanting something different this time. He said that he wants to try a new place. I will look into those other seafood suggestions and talk to him about them.
Thanks for the input!:smooth:

I live in Florida and eat seafood a couple times a week. I was disappointed in Coral Reef. It was overpriced and portions were quite small. In reality you are paying to sit and watch the big tank. I'd say, go and perhaps have an overpriced appetizer or desert. Again, I was disappointed, but then again, when I want to eat seafood, I really want to eat seafood.

TLHB70 -

For one thing, the atmosphere is fantastic. An entire wall is just glass, so you see all kinds of fish swimming around (DH and I even saw a couple of sharks and a sea turtle.) The room is dimly lit and the focus is definitely on the aquarium.

It is definitely pricey. And to be completely honest, I wasn't very impressed with the food. But let me tell you why. I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I love seafood. Fresh seafood. I like to catch a nice grouper, flounder, or snook and grill/broil/bake it the same day! I don't care for heavy sauces and it's pretty easy to tell when fish/seafood isn't very fresh. The two times DH and I have eaten at Coral Reef, my dinner tasted like it could have recently been frozen. It seemed like they tried to cover this taste with an exceptionally heavy, cream-based sauce. The sauce didn't enhance the flavor of the food, it masked it.

Also, I ordered just plain water with my meal and the server brought a bottle of mineral water. I asked just for a regular glass of water, but the server said that was the only water they served. When the bill came, my bottle of water was $5.50! Our meal averaged around $78 for the two of us and we didn't even go for the really high-priced items. No appetizer, no dessert.

We wouldn't have gone back the second time except we were with my parents who wanted to try it.

Am I glad we tried this restaurant? Yes. Will we return. No, probably not.

JMO ... if you want good seafood at Disney, you'll have to leave EPCOT and go to Fulton's Crab House. They know how to prepare seafood. I've yet to find good seafood in EPCOT.

You'll get different opinions on Coral Reef...some really seem to like it. For us, it was the worst meal we had at DW. We went there on our very first trip ( keep in mind this was 15 yrs or so ago!) and it was terribly expensive and really bad. We tried it again on our 2000 trip, hoping it had changed, but it hadn't. The atmosphere is wonderful, the food is awful and way overpriced. Coral Reef isn't the worst seafood I ever ate , but it may be the most expensive! Being from Louisiana, I don't think you'll be impressed. Everyone has different opinions though, and while we don't like Coral Reef, you might just love it. If you rule out every restaurant you read a negative opinion on you'll starve to death!:D

For excellent seafood walk over to the Boardwalk from EPCOT and try Flying Fish. We have always had excellent food and terrific service there.

Coral Reef is ok. It is the atmosphere that makes this place so popular.

Well, I just posted all this on the Coral Reef vs. Teppanyaki thread, but I will give a dissenting opinion. My family of 5 has eaten there twice in the last 5-6 years and we liked it both times.

Here is our experience from last June:

They start out with some excellent rolls and butter - I know we had at least a second basket of these as we are big bread eaters. Then I had the lobster bisque which was wonderful and I had to keep out of the reach of my 8 year old daughter or she would have eaten it all! My husband and I had fish entrees, I am pretty sure mine was Mahi - we were both very happy with our food. The 3 kids had a pizza, a child's portion of grilled Mahi, and pasta with white sauce. That pasta with white sauce was totally nasty and I told my son not to eat it. He shared the pizza which was more than my daughter could eat anyway. The child's Mahi was the best kids meal I have ever seen or tasted in any restaurant period. It was, I think, 8.95, with the Mahi, mashed potatoes and haricots vert and everything was wonderful.

We were too full for dessert, even though there were some I wanted to try, so the portions must not have been too skimpy. Yes, it was not cheap, but we would absolutely go back. Oh, and I definitely always get tap water in a glass, so they did serve it the day I was there.

I guess it's just one of those restaurants people love to hate. If you have really strong opinions about how you want to eat your seafood, perhaps you will also be disappointed. I grew up in Chas, SC and have lived on the coast almost all my life, but I am not that opnionated about seafood.

Realize some other people really hate the San Angel Inn and you said you like it, so you know that it's "To each his own." If you have looked at the menu, like what you see and want to go, I'd go for it. There are some of us out here who like the Coral Reef too.

We ate there several years ago. I would not describe the food as terrible, just not memorable. And, I guess for the prices they were charging I wanted something special. I just walked out feeling ripped off. Living in an expensive area, I am used to paying a lot for fine meals. But, this experience harkened back to the days where you paid $30 for 3 oz. of fish with 3 baby carrots on the plate. Very minimalist and the food was ok. Not bad really, just not good either. Kind of Red Lobster quality although done in fancier ways.

That being said it was a neat atmosphere to dine in. I read a lot of good things about Flying Fish and Le Cellier which two previous posters suggested. You should probably check out their menus before you make a decision.

Thanks so much for all of the great information. We still have a month before we leave so I will let my guy look over all of this and decide. I don't really care to be honest, just being in Disney World is good for me!!! It is really a place that he picked so I want him to be aware of all of this news. I know that my young daughters were looking forward to the big tank. I don't think they will care about the food. Our PS is for lunch; I did that so I could get the cheaper prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter