Discovery Cove for those that can NOT swim?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
We have 2 small kids, one swims a little, the other not at all (including the wife who ALSO can not swim!). Can it still work out including the swim with Dolphins Experience?

I can’t swim and I’m terrified of drowning since I’ve almost done it a few times (long story ) I can’t float either I freak out but I went to Discovery Cove grabbed a life vest and had a wonderful time ! I did the dolphin swim and I will tell you it scared me to death but I did it with my life vest and I was above water the whole time! Their lazy river is deep and I’m short but I did fine
Yes I’ve tried to do swimming lessons and no I did not succeed but my kids can swim !! I was not going to allow what happened to me to happen to them!
I didn’t trust their wet suit enough I wanted a life vest and they have plenty of them.
have a great time but be safe !!

Off topic, but...

Please get your wife to agree to swimming lessons so she can learn how to swim. It might save her life (or one of your childs lives) in the future.
I used to be a LIFEGUARD and I can't teach her :P LOL

I used to be a LIFEGUARD and I can't teach her :P LOL

Last I checked, lifeguards don't have to have swim training education. Many lifeguards couldn't teach a person to swim if they had to. Being a swim instructor requires a very different type of education. I spent a pretty penny to get my 5 year old autistic son private 1:1 lessons with a certified swim instructor. It was almost $2000 when all was said and done, but absolutely worth it in the end. I had been a swim team member and lifeguard in my teens and did not recognize ANY of the techniques the instructor used to teach my child how to swim and be water safe.

We have 2 small kids, one swims a little, the other not at all (including the wife who ALSO can not swim!). Can it still work out including the swim with Dolphins Experience?

How old are the kids? Discovery Cove has limits on who can do the Dolphin Swim. The "resort pool" area is warm water and mostly shallow. The lazy river is deep and runs very fast. The snorkeling area has a small shallow area then mostly deep. The water by the animals is not deep and easy to manage. Absolutely put on their wet suits AND the life jackets. They are available all over. They are also good for adults who enjoy snorkeling long periods of time, it is much less exhausting.

I have been many times and have seen very few kids under the age of about 8. It is a lot of money to spend to just play in the resort pool area.

I recommend grabbing a life jacket and enjoying. My DD7 and I are both great swimmers but we both wore a life jacket in the reef and river so that we could just float and enjoy. Many children and adults wear life jackets. Your wife will not stand out. :)

How old are the kids? Discovery Cove has limits on who can do the Dolphin Swim. The "resort pool" area is warm water and mostly shallow. The lazy river is deep and runs very fast. The snorkeling area has a small shallow area then mostly deep. The water by the animals is not deep and easy to manage. Absolutely put on their wet suits AND the life jackets. They are available all over. They are also good for adults who enjoy snorkeling long periods of time, it is much less exhausting.

I have been many times and have seen very few kids under the age of about 8. It is a lot of money to spend to just play in the resort pool area.

Honestly I really agree with this. I went once many years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I do specifically remember the lazy river possibly being a little challenging for non swimmers, even with the life jackets. If I remember correctly, there aren't an inner tubes or noodles to float on, so you kind of have to float or swim through it.

It is a lot of money to take young kids to Discovery Cove, and I feel like the entire vibe is relaxation, which younger kids (who want to run, splash, and make noise) may not enjoy. I suggest taking them to Aquatica. They can view the dolphins from above or from the underwater viewing, which might be a better experience for them. It's a lot more kid friendly and has two water playgrounds for kids. I obviously don't know your kids, but in general they might enjoy a regular waterpark more. Save Discovery Cove for when they are a little older. Also, I'll agree with the other commentators and suggest signing everyone up for swim lessons as soon as possible.

if you know they can't swim and you put them in water deeper than their ankles shame on you

a life jacket (the type they have at DC) or wet suit is NO substitute for knowing how to swim. Either can help you float FACE DOWN as easily as face UP .....

lifeguard for over 40 years and swimming teacher .....

harsh? YEP but I can't count how many I pulled out who's comment (or parent / spouse / friend) was "I thought it would be OK"

btw ... at this time the 'dolphin swim' at DC is a NO CONTACT 'dolphin experience' ..... see reviews in the specific area on this site ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!