Discovery Cove - General Information

Discussion in 'Sea World / Discovery Cove' started by mjhtvchick, Mar 13, 2017.

1. pattyw

pattyw DIS Veteran

Hi! :) The $99 special is only on Wednesdays in Oct. and is still available for Oct 3,10,17, &31. With my one AP I purchased the DC day for both me and DH- it says you can book up to 6 guests. This special does not include tickets to Sea World or Aquatica.

2. Mikey15

Mikey15 Mouseketeer

Thanks!

While the dates work for me, oddly enough I think AP would make sense financially if I wasn’t doing DC both years. If I do though, it’s about the same as buying the day resort + 14 day package this year and next.

macraven and pattyw like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Earning My Ears

My experience with the Discovery Cove Photo Key package:

Discovery Cove packages are separated between the Dolphin encounter photos and any other photos you have taken by them during the day. That's a shame that they should correct.

While at Discovery Cove, I took the Dolphin swim (their photographer) along with the SeaVenture (me as photographer with their camera) and the Animal Trek (their photographer). I bought their package at the park (not before-hand on line) at $265. The "deal" was the dolphin package at $229 plus all other photos at $80, then discounted because you were buying both. Whatever.

The photographers at the dolphin encounter do a great job at taking your photo multiple times. But in the end, basically, they take 4 photos: one of you with your hand on the dolphin, one of you kissing the dolphin, one of you being pulled by the dolphin in a swim and one of you and your whole family with the dolphin. Each shot mentioned above has about 3-4 shots in slightly different poses. Ok.

At $229 that is hardly worth it, but their cameras are the only ones allowed in the water so what are you going to do?

With the "extras" they are a little more reasonable.
    While going on the SeaVenture, they provide digital cameras for you to take your own pictures. Great! We had both their cameras and our own underwater cameras.
    On the Animal Trek (which included an aviary "private room" with many birds and macaws, and another area with a screech owl, an anteater and a sloth) and the otter encounter, we had a personal photographer who took pictures both of us with the animals and took pictures of the animals on their own.
    The cost for the "extras" (Seaventure and Animal Trek) was $80.

Somehow, due to package discounts, this boiled down to $265 (and I had a $50 in park coupon to spend on merchandise) in which they were VERY accommodating in making things as cheap as possible for me! (I am a cheapie that looks to get discounts wherever I can!).

So...I ended up with numerous photos from dolphin encounter, SeaVenture and Animal Trek for about $215 (plus tax) Considering they corner the market on the dolphin photos, I don't consider this a bad deal.
    When I go back (and the day was so awesome I WILL go back), I will NOT buy the package for just the dolphin photos. But I will probably do enough different things that will make the add on package worth it,

One caveat I will add is that I am am a scrapbooker and I buy and print all the photos I can get from a trip. If I were not a scrapbooker, i don't know if I wold find these packages worth it.

mjhtvchick likes this.
  5. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

Very much appreciate you sharing your experiences with the Discovery Cove photo key package

6. Disneytam

Disneytam disneytam

If you don't purchase the photo package of the dolphin swim is there an option to purchase individual dolphin pictures for a cheaper price. My son is going next week and they are doing the dolphin swim and the stingray feeding but adding another $229 to an already expensive day is not in the budget.

Another question is what does everyone do with their cell phones all day? He is getting an under water case for it but is a little worried about it.

7. Joanna71985

Joanna71985 <marquee><font color=green>Characters are my frien

What exactly did you do on the Animal Trek tour? I'm looking to book DC at the end of the month, and this tour sounds really good (plus I absolutely love birds)

8. mjhtvchick

mjhtvchick DIS Veteran

I can't answer your photo questions but with regard to your cell phone, Discovery Cove offers free lockers to guests.

Disneytam and macraven like this.
  9. Michael Webb

I'm sorry, Joanna71985, I just saw you post with a question to me now (Oct 27th) probably too late for the answer to matter. The Animal Tour was actually longer than I wanted it to be!
    First they took us into a separate private "room" in the bird aviary where we got to hold two macaws on our arms and get plenty of pictures with them. Then we fed the rest of the birds in this "room" with cups of fruit. The photographers was great - she took 63 photos alone of me and my daughter and of individual birds in the room. Then we went to a cave in the lazy river where the otter encounter is. Their otters are Asian otters and they bite so we were not allowed to hold them or pet them, but we did feed them fish through a tube in the wall. After that we went to another area that was in a secluded pine tree grove to meet a screech owl, an anteater and a sloth. The photographer took another 28 photos of me and my daughter with these animals. These photos plus the ones I took with their camera on the SeaVenture were $80. That was well worth it and the photos are great - very clear, up close and distant, professional and memorable.

I say it was longer than I wanted it to be because by the time all of this was over, my dogs were barking and I was ready for some lazy river!

Joanna71985 and macraven like this.
  10. Joanna71985

Joanna71985 <marquee><font color=green>Characters are my frien

Thank you for the information! I'm doing the tour on Wed, and can't wait. It sounds awesome!

Michael Webb and macraven like this.
  11. jaceraden

jaceraden Ringleader to 3 kids in a Disney loving family

My trip is 110 days away so I'm replying here to remind myself to reread the whole thread the next time I have some free time. Getting excited!

macraven and mjhtvchick like this.
  12. Michael Webb

Great jaceraden! I can't wait to get back to Discovery Cove!