Discovery Cove - Is a cabana necessary?

Sugar Jones

DIS Veteran
I'm really want to do Discovery Cove in August this summer. I know it will be brutal hot. It's already an expensive time to go $1600 US for a family of 5. Is there shady places to sit, the Cabana's are $699.99 on the date we are going. I can't justify paying that much money for one.

It will be fine without one right???

Hi yes there will be plenty of shade and chairs available. This will be our second time this summer and we did buy the elite package again. This gives us the cabana, the towel, the beach bag, the photo package and the buoy. I think I paid 700.00 for all of it for the end of June.

We did the cabana last year too and really enjoyed it but it wasn't necessary. We liked having a place with tables and chairs, coverage from the rain, the locker, the drinks in the fridge and the hammock. It really is a personal choice.

I do understand the cost and you can have a great time either way.

Have fun!

Hi from what I have read they do have space heaters available. I am not sure if it is a request or not. We went in the summer and did not see one in our cabana. I would check if you are going to call them to reserve one.

We went in the winter and the was a heater by the beach chairs that kept us nice and warm.

We rented the cabana and it was worth every penny! We are planning another trip to do Universal and Discovery Cove and will not book it without the cabana. It gives you a place out of the sun to relax and enjoy a snack and cold beverage which are both right there. The beverages are in the fridge and the snacks are in the basket. It's really nice not to have to go up to the bar to get a drink or snack. Just tell the concierge what snacks and drinks you like and they will keep the fridge and snack basket stocked. There is a safe to lock up your stuff so you don't have to worry. As far as we are concerned it made an amazing day just that much better. We were near the lagoon and it was very nice. Short walk to Dolphin swim and not far from bathrooms. Lagoon cabana is a little far from the food court but you only eat twice so no big deal. Just read post from some folks who had cabana closer to bird aviary and lazy river and they stated the cabanas on that side were a bit more secluded than some of the others. You'll be happy you did.

The cabana is a splurge. There are plenty of beach chairs in various locations, various shady areas, and scads of free lockers. It's a small enough park that it's easy to find each other. Depending on your family, everyone is likely to be enjoying the reef and rivers all day, not sitting around. There are also submerged water lounges, for a warm place to sit. The cabana would just be a gathering spot if you feel you need one.

We have been probably 5 times. Never had a cabana. We always get lounge chairs by the grand reef, in the shade. Love just getting up and walking into the water. Also love just looking at the water and the swimmers.

I've been 4 times, all in September - Very hot.
We did the cabana on our last trip and I must say I will NEVER go again without it.
We are "resort only" people so we don't do the dolphin swim so we spend pretty much all day swimming or enjoying the sandy areas in the cabana with the kids.
I am extremely pale and so is my infant, we need the shade that the cabana provided also with kids it was amazing to have a private little space for us and the kids to play and rest.
So no it's not necessary but it is very nice.
BTW, I think we "only" paid $200 for our cabana so I'm not sure I would pay much more than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!