Discovery Cove tips for first timer this June?

MamaKate

Simply meant to be...
Hello everyone!

My family will be going to Discovery Cove for the first time this June and I had a couple questions:

-What is the best time for the Dolphin Swim?
-Where is the best spot to set-up camp? I was thinking near Serenity Bay. Is there plenty of seats & shade in this area?
-What alcoholic drinks are included? We don't need the premium drink package since we won't be drinking that much, but when I saw a menu, it looked some wines had prices next to them...
-Where do the Flamingos walk and about what time (without the paid upgrade)? We just want to see them, not interact with them.
-In June, is it best to get the vest or wetsuit? Do you have to wear a wetsuit during the Dolphin interaction?

Thanks for any help and additional tips :)

-I like morning, but not first thing, for the dolphin swim. I prefer to go to the aviary as soon as it opens, and be one of the first people in there. First thing in the morning, you can have a room in the aviary almost to yourself, and the birds are hungry thus more eager to interact / land on you. The aviary opens at 9am (with the rest of the waterways), so if you arrive any time by maybe 8am or so, it's plenty of time to get checked in, eat breakfast, get changed, and be ready to go in at 9am.

-I'd get just the vest on any non-chilly months. A) it's easier for pee breaks. B) it's easier to put on. C) you don't need the wetsuit for the dolphin swim anymore. D) it's so much easier for pee breaks.

-I like morning, but not first thing, for the dolphin swim. I prefer to go to the aviary as soon as it opens, and be one of the first people in there. First thing in the morning, you can have a room in the aviary almost to yourself, and the birds are hungry thus more eager to interact / land on you. The aviary opens at 9am (with the rest of the waterways), so if you arrive any time by maybe 8am or so, it's plenty of time to get checked in, eat breakfast, get changed, and be ready to go in at 9am.

-I'd get just the vest on any non-chilly months. A) it's easier for pee breaks. B) it's easier to put on. C) you don't need the wetsuit for the dolphin swim anymore. D) it's so much easier for pee breaks.

Thank you! Those are awesome tips! And I'm with you on those pee breaks (I take many...).

I'd recommend morning but not right away for the dolphin swim! Greater chance for rain in the afternoon!!

As far as wetsuit vs. vest - keep in mind that all the water with animals is COLD. I am a big wimp and like the full wetsuit; added bonus: no need for spf on the body :laughing:

I believe beer/wine is included but not any mixed drinks.

My only tip is don't be like me and book soooo many things to do in one day, the times end up being one right after another and you have to run all over the place to get them and realize at the end of a long tired day that you didn't do anything. I did Swim with Dolphins, Swim with Sharks, and SeaVenture and missed out on soooo much, didn't even have time to laze around the lazy river and I'm still mad at myself for missing the otters! Over all, it was a blast! And I really need to get back there again one day, maybe get to see the otters?

Oh! I saw the Flamingos wondering around pretty much the whole time while I was zig zagging around to my timeslots, didn't even know about their paid thing.
I wore the wetsuit since I was swimming with sharks and it's required, my mom went with just the vest and complained about how cold the water was but we went in November.
Not too sure about any alcohol, my mom and I don't drink so we never paid any attention to it.

I'd recommend morning but not right away for the dolphin swim! Greater chance for rain in the afternoon!!

As far as wetsuit vs. vest - keep in mind that all the water with animals is COLD. I am a big wimp and like the full wetsuit; added bonus: no need for spf on the body :laughing:

I believe beer/wine is included but not any mixed drinks.

Thanks! I think from all the advise, we will do late morning. Especially since thunderstorms are prevalent in the afternoon :(.

Do you know if I start out with the vest and decide I'm too cold, can you switch to a wetsuit later, or vice versa?

My only tip is don't be like me and book soooo many things to do in one day, the times end up being one right after another and you have to run all over the place to get them and realize at the end of a long tired day that you didn't do anything. I did Swim with Dolphins, Swim with Sharks, and SeaVenture and missed out on soooo much, didn't even have time to laze around the lazy river and I'm still mad at myself for missing the otters! Over all, it was a blast! And I really need to get back there again one day, maybe get to see the otters?

Oh! I saw the Flamingos wondering around pretty much the whole time while I was zig zagging around to my timeslots, didn't even know about their paid thing.
I wore the wetsuit since I was swimming with sharks and it's required, my mom went with just the vest and complained about how cold the water was but we went in November.
Not too sure about any alcohol, my mom and I don't drink so we never paid any attention to it.
That sure is a lot of activity! I thought about doing the animal encounter but since it's our first time I want to enjoy the time and relax a little.

lol that was my problem, it was my first trip and I'm the kind of person who tells myself that 'I gotta get everything done because who knows when/if I'll ever be back?!' So I always over book everything and spend more time getting to what I booked that I miss half of what I want to do. You'd think that knowing that about myself that I'd change but nope, I'm a chronic over planner/booker and I just don't know how to quit lol.

We tend to try to grab a dolphin swim spot around 10 am. admittedly, earlier than I’d prefer. However, it allows us to then hit the snorkeling area before it gets overrun; as many seem to avoid the waters in the am until the air temp warms up.

I shoe-horn myself into the wet suit :blush: for those two activities, then usually return it. If I find myself chilly later, no issue to go back & grab another. It does seem to help with bouyancy for those who aren’t strong swimmers

I’ll echo the morning time slot. We actually did it first thing in the morning, but that’s because it was projected to start storming pretty early. (It never did. Figures.)

For picking a camping place… we opted to bounce around. There are lockers, and we used a waterproof pouch for a phone. Sunscreen was everywhere, snacks were at the shacks- there wasn’t anything to carry around. This allowed us to just lounge where we wanted (though admirably that was very little). We never had issues finding spots to sit.

Some beer and wine is included. Just ask the bartender what’s covered by the standard package.

The general flamingo route is along the front of Dolphin Cove to the bridge by Guest Services. I think it was supposed to be around 9:30 am. That said, the birds set the pace here, so they could be late or early. The actual flamingo mingle (paid experience) is back behind the Grand Reef. Check with Guest Services about timing on your particular day.

I prefer the wetsuit, personally, though it does make bathroom trips challenging. But it is less sunscreen to apply, and honestly, I just really like the feel and look of wetsuits.

I’ll echo the morning time slot. We actually did it first thing in the morning, but that’s because it was projected to start storming pretty early. (It never did. Figures.)

For picking a camping place… we opted to bounce around. There are lockers, and we used a waterproof pouch for a phone. Sunscreen was everywhere, snacks were at the shacks- there wasn’t anything to carry around. This allowed us to just lounge where we wanted (though admirably that was very little). We never had issues finding spots to sit.

Some beer and wine is included. Just ask the bartender what’s covered by the standard package.

The general flamingo route is along the front of Dolphin Cove to the bridge by Guest Services. I think it was supposed to be around 9:30 am. That said, the birds set the pace here, so they could be late or early. The actual flamingo mingle (paid experience) is back behind the Grand Reef. Check with Guest Services about timing on your particular day.

I prefer the wetsuit, personally, though it does make bathroom trips challenging. But it is less sunscreen to apply, and honestly, I just really like the feel and look of wetsuits.

Great information! Thank you.

The best tip for loungers is the back rows in several places are generally backed up agains palm trees with some shade. Pick ones that are attached, with an umbrella in the middle. I pick chairs all the way down by the snorkeling area, where it is out the way and calmer and a good sun angle.

unpopular opinion with many, but the dolphin swim was a one and done with us. Between orientation and actual experience, it took about an hour and a half. We love DC and find the day so much more relaxed without.

free is boxed quality wine and beer. The upgrade gets you tropical middling quality cocktails and a better beer and slightly better wine. The wine was improved by putting some of the lemonade slushy with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter