Discovery Cove Tips

ABBSMOM

Earning My Ears
Just got back from Discovery Cove, here's a couple of my tips:

My daughter was wearing a bright orange hair pony on the top of her head. Great to identify her with when looking through a mask. Especially when everybody in a snorkel outfit looks the same.

If you have children, have them take a snorkel class before they go. It was well worth the time. My daughter (8) just slapped on her mask and snorkel and away she swam.

Bring watershoes, the sides and bottom can be very rough in places.

For the dolphin swim, if you have children have them wear a wetsuit. It was 85 degrees out, my daughter had a wetsuit on and she was still shaking a bit, at least for a while. I didn't have a wetsuit on, and I was okay.

I would get there early rather than later, you can have a choice of beach chair locations.

Thanks for the tips, ABBSMOM.

I have been trying to convince my daughters (9 & 11) that they will need a wetsuit to enjoy the dolphin swim, but to no avail. I think I will show them your post!

Also, none of us has ever snorkeled before. Is it easy to do, and do they have anyone there who can instruct us?

Thanks! :)

My husband and I had never snorkeled before we went, we caught on pretty quickly. I don't know if anyone is there to instruct people on how to snorkel. I didn't necessarily see anyone.

The wetsuits are short wetsuits, only go to right above the knees, and above the elbows. We saw alot of people wearing them. Tell your daughters that the swim vests actually look more dorky than the wetsuits. They can always switch back to a swim vest right after the swim. We actually had to wait a while in the dolphin pool, the dolphin wasn't ready to interact right away, my daughter was glad she had her wetsuit on.

More tips:
-Under water disposable cameras
-Maby a life jacket for smaller children in with the dolphins because you have to tread water for awhile and my 7 year old got tired
:jester:

Hi Daisy - we found a CM in the water who was helping everyone fix their snorkels and advising us how to snorkel - she was in the shallow water where most people were entering the Tropical River. (We picked it up fairly easily, just felt odd breathing through the mouth and not the nose :D )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter