Discovery Cove Today

msfredna

My family is currently working on an intervention
We had a fantastic day at Discovery Cove yesterday. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
  • We did the dolphin presentation. You are required to wear a mask and stay 6 feet from other participating families. Our group was my daughter and myself and a family of 4. My DD loves dolphins and enjoyed the presentation but was still sad she couldn't touch them. The trainers were fantastic. The presentation is around 15 minutes long and you are in knee deep water about 6 feet from the dolphin. The trainers told us that they are waiting on approval from the CDC to have something more. They are also working on training the dolphins to go up to guests without the trainer. The trainer must stay 6 feet from guests. Some dolphins are picking it up quickly but it may take some time. They have no timeline of when they will go back to the swim. Bottom line- if you have a dolphin lover then they will still enjoy the presentation as long as you are sure to prepare them that they will not be touching the dolphins. I wouldn't pay for this unless you have someone like my daughter that really loves dolphins.
  • I recommend getting a life jacket for the Reef and Wind Away river so that you can just float and enjoy. My DD7 and I are both good swimmers but we liked to just be able to float.
  • The sand gets HOOOOTTTTT. Wear shoes between areas and leave them by the water or bring water shoes.
  • You have to wear a mask when you first come in, in gift shops, and when getting breakfast and lunch. It was fine.
  • Because of the low crowds, it was very easy to social distance.
  • All of the employees were super nice and helpful. They have to wear a mask the entire day. Please be kind and appreciative towards them.
  • Because of the low crowds, we didn't arrive until 8:45 and had no lines or wait for check-in and still had a great, full day.79228726_2339104733061695_5308781290590221164_n.jpg106596922_594420404828332_298124958898694947_n.jpg106662614_2683928841838568_2635143119437803311_n.jpg106681692_3542226095807294_2637047409914922908_n.jpg

OP Thanks for that review, nice pics. Not sure why but it didn’t strike me there would be no dolphin ‘swim’. I understand why but good to know, thank you.

So is this dolphin experience full price? There is a sale now with the dolphin experience priced at about 140 and the non dolphin experience at 90. Doesn't seem worth it to pay the extra money to look from afar. It used to be that you could stand on the beach area and watch the dolphin interaction for free. Can you still do that?

So is this dolphin experience full price? There is a sale now with the dolphin experience priced at about 140 and the non dolphin experience at 90. Doesn't seem worth it to pay the extra money to look from afar. It used to be that you could stand on the beach area and watch the dolphin interaction for free. Can you still do that?
Though I haven't been since the fourth of July. Based on what Seaworld is doing, I think they have added more to the interaction since this post. I believe you get to touch and feed them now, and still are required to have a mask on. But because masks are required for anyone around the dolphins (even the trainers in shows are dry, and wearing masks) they are not doing the dorsal tow aspect. But that's just what I've heard and am assuming since you can touch the dolphins at SeaWorld (and feed during the dolphins up close tour).

Thanks for the update. We got to feed and touch at Seaword for about $14 a person. So don't feel that this is worth the extra money. Actually I never felt it was worth the price. I've enjoyed discovery cove without the dolphin "swim". It was the best vacation day ever!

How were the crowds in the rest of the swimming areas? How about your lounge chair area? We are contemplating this for September?

How were the crowds in the rest of the swimming areas? How about your lounge chair area? We are contemplating this for September?
I didn't pay too much attention to lounge chairs as we had a cabana, but the crowds in the pools were pretty light. Especially once you were just off the beach in the Grand Reef, there was almost no one around. The lazy river was also relatively light on people, and we had times we couldn't even see anyone else.

A few of the most popular spots (right by the lazy river and the drink station there) were still full from a chair perspective. Still, I'd recommend it now given the discounts and lowered capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter