Discovery Cove, Vests and wet suits question

When I was there it was mandatory to wear a jacket or wetsuit. This way all of us guests were wearing the same gold color and it was easier for the lifeguards to tell a guest from an employee who wear a different color wet suit.
I do recommend the wet suit over the jacket. the air bubbles in the neoprene help you float so you get less tired.
There was numerous guests while I was there discussing how a wet suit keeps you warm. The truth is this - it does keep you warm but it is not instant warmth. When you first get in the cold water you will feel the cold water get into your suit (brrrr.) then your body warms up the thin layer of water that is trapped in your suit against your skin. The warmer water will stay against your skin and the neoprene gives a bit of insulation too. It can make a huge difference in how comfortable you are.

sue88 :sunny:

I emailed them. They said everyone must wear a lifevest or a wet suit because it makes it easier for the lifeguards to see them, not because of the cold.

No problems with doing it if it's compulsary, just wondered whether it was or not. I'll probably go for a short wetsuit because I hate life vests!

The life vests are not the typical boating kind. They are a fairly thin foam material and quite comfortable - you may change your mind once you see them. You can also change your mind at any time during the day. We started off in the AM (February) wearing short wet suits and changed to the vests after our dolphin swim.

Maybe but I hate being "held up" in the water by anything other than myself...floatation devices scare me! I know it's weird but I guess I feel "safer" if I think I can get under the water easily and comfortably if I want to :confused3

Does anyone know the largest sizes they have???? I'm concered!!! I usually wear a size 22 ugh!
Also, we will be going in August....do we still want to get wet suits or will that be too hot??????

TIA

Don't worry about your size. I saw guests wearing Discovery Cove wetsuits who were definately bigger than a 22. They are prepared for guests of all sizes. :thumbsup2

sue88

:bounce:
Sue88 said:
Don't worry about your size. I saw guests wearing Discovery Cove wetsuits who were definately bigger than a 22. They are prepared for guests of all sizes. :thumbsup2

sue88

That's a relief...but of course I plan to lose sooo much weight between now and then!!! :rolleyes1
Thanks!

Dislifer said:
Does anyone know the largest sizes they have???? I'm concered!!! I usually wear a size 22 ugh!
Also, we will be going in August....do we still want to get wet suits or will that be too hot??????

TIA

You won't have any problem at all. I'm about your size and there were several more sized bigger than the one I used. Have a great time.

Deb & Bill said:
You won't have any problem at all. I'm about your size and there were several more sized bigger than the one I used. Have a great time.

Whew! What a relief!!! Thanks! :cheer2:

Deb & Bill said:

Thats good for me to as I need as size 20 and was wondering if anything would fit me. I was thinking that once I got there they would say no dolphin swim for you as we dont have a wet suit to fit you. :sad2:

The suits and vests go up to a 16XL...so xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl....almost big enough for Shamu!!!

Has anyone done the dolphin swim in December, I know it will be cold just would like to hear from anyone who has done it during that time of year. We have reservations December 27th.
Thanks

Hi, just registered to the site, so don't know if I am asking old questions here! We are planning a dream vacation from the UK to Florida for summer 2007, and Discovery Cove will be a particular highlight. My wife and I are both keen to do the Dolphin encounter, as is our oldest son, who will be 8 years old at the time. However, we also will have our 3 year old son with us who is clearly too young for this. Is there anything in place for parents to alternate swims with the Dolphins, so we can take turns to look after our 3 year old? I don't know if there is some sort of parent swap in place or how they handle this? I'd be grateful of any information about this, or others experiences of how they handled it. Also, when doing the Dolphin encounter, and you move into the 'deeper' water, how deep is this? Our son can swim, but I'd just like to be aware of how deep the water is he would be going into?
As for SeaWorld, I am particularly interested in doing the Shark's Deep Dive. I don't mind paying the money to do this, but ammore concerned about having to leave my wife with the kids for 2 hours. Is this experience as good as I would expect it to be is my question? How long are you actually down in the cae for, not long I would have thought, so what takes up the 2 hours?
Thanks in advance. Steve

UKDisneyWorldFan said:
Hi, just registered to the site, so don't know if I am asking old questions here! We are planning a dream vacation from the UK to Florida for summer 2007, and Discovery Cove will be a particular highlight. My wife and I are both keen to do the Dolphin encounter, as is our oldest son, who will be 8 years old at the time. However, we also will have our 3 year old son with us who is clearly too young for this. Is there anything in place for parents to alternate swims with the Dolphins, so we can take turns to look after our 3 year old? I don't know if there is some sort of parent swap in place or how they handle this? I'd be grateful of any information about this, or others experiences of how they handled it. Also, when doing the Dolphin encounter, and you move into the 'deeper' water, how deep is this? Our son can swim, but I'd just like to be aware of how deep the water is he would be going into?
As for SeaWorld, I am particularly interested in doing the Shark's Deep Dive. I don't mind paying the money to do this, but ammore concerned about having to leave my wife with the kids for 2 hours. Is this experience as good as I would expect it to be is my question? How long are you actually down in the cae for, not long I would have thought, so what takes up the 2 hours?
Thanks in advance. Steve

Hi Steve! We just got back from our vacation and we went to Discovery Cove on Thursday. I don't think that there is a parent swap but what you could do when you get there (get there earlier than the posted opening time), tell them that you and your wife need 2 different dolphin encounter times. Explain the situation to them and I'm sure this would work out perfectly for you. For instance, maybe you can have a reserved time for 10:00 and your wife can have a reserved time for 11:00.

In response to your other question: I'm not sure how deep the water is, but when it is your groups turn to actually get a ride with the dolphin, they will ask if there is anyone who is not comfortable in deep water, if so they take you in a more shallow area in the same lake.

I am also interested in the Shark's Deep Dive. We ate at the restaurant there (Shark's Underwater Grill) and we saw the cage going into the water. My soon was so excited about this, but honestly...from what I saw, if you have lunch right near the window at Sharks Underwater Grill...I think you are getting an adequate encounter. The cage was in the water around 15 minutes. Also, you are able to buy shrimp and feed the sharks outside. I am not totally convinced that the Shark's Deep Dive would give you that much more of a "wow" factor.....For me, $150 per person is a lot of money. I do not know what they do for the other approx. 1.5 hours. I am interested in this too!

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate that. It would be sad for either of us adults to have to miss out on the Dolphin experience, so I would hope they accomodate this, it must happen a lot.
Hopefully someone else can add some info on the Shark's Deep Dive question, I am curious to see what else takes up the total of 2 hours. Thanks again.

Thanks in advance. Steve

You'll have to book separate times for you and your wife but that shouldn't be a problem - just let them know as soon as you arrive or better yet, call the day before if you can. As for depth, most of the time you are standing in shallow water on a ledge. The only time the water is deep is when you do your brief swim hanging on to the dolphin's fin. They will help your son if he needs it. Also, everyone will either have a vest (most likely for summer) or wet suit, both of which help with bouyancy.

The only bummer about separate swims is the photos and DVD since you won't be in them together. Last time there, I was not impressed with the videography or photography so you might just want to skip them. You and your wife can take turns with your own camera and probably do as well as they do.

i went to the advanced career camp last summer, and i didnt the DC dolphin swim, and the shark deep dive, the deep dive was very fun, it was cool to be in the water, but honestly the sharks dont even really come right up to you, they basically ignore you, so it isnt very "exciting" i thought it was really cool, and will do it again next summer when i go to camp again, but you honestly might not think it is worth it

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate that. It would be sad for either of us adults to have to miss out on the Dolphin experience, so I would hope they accomodate this, it must happen a lot.
Hopefully someone else can add some info on the Shark's Deep Dive question, I am curious to see what else takes up the total of 2 hours. Thanks again.
and the only thing, that I did other than the 15 min. in the water was get my wet suit, walk in the little pool attatched to the big tank, to get used to the water, went into the cage, and then got out, showered and that was it. But my experiance might have been different since i did it throught the camp

We hope to be going next week to DC. How is weather in Feb??

better to get wetsuit or just vests??

need aqua socks as well??

Thanks,
Eddie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!