• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

discovery cove with 14 month old

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
hello everyone :)
we're off to orlando 30th nov -14th dec.

dh and myself would love to go to dis. cove swimming with dolphins, but we have 14 month old ds with us.
Is there much there for him to do? Obviously we would have to do a baby swap type thing with him whilst swimming, but I just wondered if there was anything else for him.
Would he be allowed in with the dolphins?

:jester: :jester: 138 days to go :jester: :jester:

The dolphins has an age 6 swim requirement.

Under 6 you can not go in, sorry!

Well there is PLENTY of sand for him to go digging in, the aviary would be visually stimulating and there's a couple of pools he can splosh about in. Not sure if he's appreciate the stingrays but there is an area where you can sit in the water there where he could stand up as they swim past. Obviously for the dolphin swim you'd have to do it at a different time than your partner, same thing with the coral reef, but I think at 14 months they are fairly easily amused. I'm certain that standing at the waters edge watching the dolphins would pass some time.

While it is by no means guaranteed, I think if you asked the trainer if you could get a photo of him with one of the dolphins you'd have a pretty good chance. Do take GREAT care with the sun as the sand is pretty white and even the reflected sunlight is going to pose a threat of him catching too much sun. It's probably easier to take a child at that age, than to leave it until they are 5/6 but not quite good enough in the water to do the dolphin swim. At least you're less likely to have a major tantrum on your hands if he doesn't get in with the dolphins.

Thanks Vernon.
I think we'll give it a go.
The chance of a picture of the little one with a dolphin would be brilliant:)
Do you know how much it costs in pounds per adult ?

:jester: 137 to go :jester:

The price is basically $200 per adult ( no chanrge for under 3) this also gives you a week at SW ( which I think your son will love) It does look pricey initially, but when you include a week at SW, lunch and the quality of the park I think it's a fair price for a unique experience. It's worth trying Keith Prowse in the UK as they may have some "special deals" as well as Virgin if you're flying/booked with them. As $£ has moved quite dramatically over the last couple of weeks you might get a good deal when paying in £ .

We've our Dis. cove for 3rd Dec :p
If I were to have the baby's photo taken with a dolphin, do you think they would take a proffesional one or would I take my own ?

:jester: 116 to go :jester:

If they can sell it to you, they will take the pictures LOL. YOu'd be able to take your own, but from the waters edge, maybe 15-20 feet away so you'd want to have a decent lens on the camera.

How much do they charge per photo ?
I can see me spending a small fortune :p
Dh and I will have to have separate photos as we will be swimming separatly because of the little one.

:jester: 115 to go :jester:

When we went the trainer let me bring my one son in at the very end for a picture and to touch the dolphin. I didn't even need to ask, the trainer told me to go get him, which I thought was very nice.

With a bit of luck then, maybe they'll let me do it :D
They can't have any rules against it, if some people have done it.
How old was your son Crazyme ?

:jester: 106 to go :jester:

He was almost 4, I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but they didn't tell us to bring my daughter in (almost 1).

Maybe they let him in as he was that little bit older :confused:
I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed :)
The more photos I buy - the more money they get :D

:jester: 105 to go :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter