Discussing DIS topics to others in real life?

Have you ever discussed a DIS thread with people in real life?

• Yes

Votes: 92 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
This thread is amusing to me since I hide my DIS watching like I would adult websites!! My wife is a Disney lover, but I have become somewhat of a fanboy, and I spend copious amounts of my free time watching the archived podcasts and such. We won't be heading back down until 2020, but I have the fever NOW!! Haha.

Maybe she’s a member and hides it from you, too LOL

I occasionally share things from ‘that Disney board I’m on’. Usually it involves one of my threads going sideways lol

Occasionally I mention something to DH from the DIS. Usually it's a question or a response in a "heated topic" thread.

I just told DH Rodeo's sad story this morning and how I felt for her losing her husband after his quick battle with cancer. That one hit home as I have kids who are teens and early 20 somethings and a seemingly okay husband. It has reminded me that life is unpredictable and too short and that I should appreciate them more.

I don't do it often, but I will preface the discussion with DH or my kids as "So a thread on my Disney message board is talking about...."

I was so moved by Rodeo's family that I shared it with my DH last weekend.

I do tell him of other threads occasionally.

If I do I cleverly disguise how we got to talking about what conversation I brought up , I just dont like them knowing what a true weirdo I am

I feel like the only people I talk to in-depth is my co-workers and my husband. I'm lovingly known at the hospital for being a Disney enthusiast and everyone loves to tell me when they have a patient with my same love. Many people come to me with planning questions and I often refer to the blog. My husband lurks but doesn't have an account. I think he got the dis bug after our 2012 trip. It was a great trip and he was fascinated by all of my trivia. He seems to be on as much as me and will often make conversation that starts with "I saw on the dis..." :love:

I usually just say I read on "a" message board, don't mention the DIS by name.

Once I read a post about someone who had the same type of illness as my sisters sil. I asked my sister questions about it and said someone I knew had it. Don't know why I said that it just came out. A few weeks later she asked me how my friend was:laughing:, I just said fine. Never told her it was a stranger I didn't even know.

Haha! No doubt there are a lot of crazy opinions here but it never ceases to amaze me how knowledgeable people are willing to share helpful information on the DIS.
Yeah, just couldn't resist. I share the legit good advice along with the crazy stuff. Sometimes it's just too good not to.

I never tell DH about posting here - he has always been oddly weird about internet message boards. I have been a regular on a few and met some amazing people (other moms) who I then became really good friends with IRL. He doesn't understand that you can actually connect with live humans at the end of their keyboards, from the end of yours.

However, I do often bring up topics that are discussed here. Despite the bumps and disagreements, I have learned a LOT on this board that I would have never known otherwise.

So when I talk to him about things from here, I usually just say "I was reading this thing today...." or "I was talking with some friends today..." but I don't specify exactly who or where.

I've been involved in plenty of discussions about things that are being discussed here, not necessarily because it's being discussed here. Then again I've never considered it particularly unusual to discuss what's in the news with others.

Had no idea the DIS was to be considered like fight club. How about if it's not IRL, is it okay to discuss topics on the DIS elsewhere on the internet, or is that weird?

I also discuss it with my DH. I often preface it by saying, "You know that Disney forum I go on? Well today..."

My wife used to post here for a few years, as Lady M, about 15 years ago. When it got too snarky for her, she drifted away. She has been to many local dis meets here in the Chicago area when we used to have about 3 big Chicago area meets a year, and knows a lot of dis folks from years back (most don't post here anymore). I still talk to her periodically about various threads here.

Absolutely. But everyone in the newsroom is required to monitor various sites on the Internet (Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Forums LBGTQ, Black Lives Matters, Cats, Dogs, Cannabis etc.) and we discuss what ever issues are hot on websites when we are looking for topics to cover.
DIS Boards are really no different than me talking to my neighbor while I am working in the yard.
The difference is, on any forum, you don't get vocal tone, body language, etc, and that can change how comments made online are received. More feathers will get ruffled on online for no reason than face to face.

My wife used to post here for a few years, as Lady M, about 15 years ago. When it got too snarky for her, she drifted away. She has been to many local dis meets here in the Chicago area when we used to have about 3 big Chicago area meets a year, and knows a lot of dis folks from years back (most don't post here anymore). I still talk to her periodically about various threads here.
That is the exact reason my wife closed her Facebook page 2 days after she opened it and that was 8 years ago. Snarky or argumentative comments. She posted a picture of a room she had painted and said what the color was, and people argued, even after she posted the can showing that it was in fact that color.

Yet now, she is a regular on Twitter.

Only Disney parks-related stuff from the Rumors & News Board, and in a more general way (as in, I don't say "so and so said this", just the general concept of what I've been reading about).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!