DISers Love Broadway!

This made me smile. We are Jon Jon Briones fans, too. Got to see him as the Engineer here in L.A. (you are right -- he's fabulous! And I was so glad to see someone Asian playing that part!) We first saw him in a very small production of Ragtime where he played opposite his wife. That was a lovely production -- you could really see and hear the details. And we've seen his children in a small production of Gypsy. The family has been very active in the L.A. small theater scene. If you get a chance to catch them on your next trip out here, do!
:) Thanks for the tip! Our trip to CA is now planned for March, but I don't have any hopes for theaters to be open by then! I can really recommend getting the DVD of Miss Saigon, it's so amazing.

And it's indeed such an improvement to have an actor/actress in a part where they have a familarity with. It's the same with Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, it works perfectly fine as a performance when a none Jewish man is playing Tevye. But you notice a difference when he is played by someone who is very familiar with the Jewish faith.

Another fond memory is from the show called Elisabeth (about Empress Elisabeth of Austria), it never made it to the US I think, but it's popular in Europe & Asia. We had a couple playing in the cast, he was first cast for the Emporer and she was the understudy for the Empress. It's custom here, with the big musical productions, that in the one before the last performance the understudies get a chance to give a performance one last time, but also to do some adlibbing and just go out on a bang. So the one before the last performance, this couple gets to perform together. In the last scene they have together, he is supposed to end the scene with 'I miss you', but the actor adlibbed and said 'I love you', his voice broke and it was such a sweet moment :)

From the main Community Board:

The Dance Theatre of Harlem will hold it's Virtual 2020 Vision Gala tomorrow night for FREE.

Monday, October 19th, 7pm ET
FREE on Facebook and YouTube. ( <-- Click on blue links.) RSVP today! https://bit.ly/2F8I6cY

"Dance Theatre of Harlem (DTH) invites you to join us for this special benefit to celebrate our legacy of excellence and inclusion in classical ballet, and to honor the future of DTH, hosted by Emmy Award-winning ABC News Correspondent Deborah Roberts, with appearances by 15-time Grammy-winning artist Alicia Keys, and Princeton Professor, MSNBC Contributor, and author Imani Perry."

The dancers have been safely rehearsing all this time in a pandemic bubble in upstate NY. :grouphug:

NOT the link to the watch the gala, just a preview below:

Jeremy Jordan did a Hallmark movie too. He's my hall pass, so you know I'll be watching it a billion times 😂

PBS will air Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles, a documentary about the creation and history of Fiddler on the Roof, on Friday, November 13, at 9pm (check local listings).
Zero Mostel as Tevye in the original Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof

I REALLY hope Disney does a live recording of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I saw the stage production in Sacramento and it was amazing. They cast a deaf man as Quasimodo and had another man sing for him. It was seriously one of the most amazing productions I have ever seen. The additional music and the REAL ending make it so incredible.
That sounds so cool! If you ever get a chance to see Deaf West's production of "Big River" or "Pippin" (or, for that matter, any production by Deaf West Theatre), GO! Their musical productions are stellar -- so moving and absolutely riveting. "Big River" changed DH's whole perspective and understanding about ASL -- went in not knowing what to expect and once the show started, he was completely immersed!
Here in Denver we have a theater company called Phamaly (PHAMALy - Physically Handicapped Actors & Musical Artists League) that casts only people with physical and mental disabilities for their shows. Some amazingly powerful performances. I still remember their "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" from 15 years ago.
Oregon Shakespeare Festival has a deaf actor (Howie Seago) who's been part of the company for years. I've seen him in several things, most notably as King Cymbeline in Cymbeline and the Wolf in Into the Woods...

On this theme:

https://www.theatermania.com/new-yo...etter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26nov2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter