Dish network or Direct Tv

Which provider do prefer and why
Dish. They have the channels I want at a cheaper price point.

Step one is to figure out what channels you need. Some channels are on one but not the other, most are on both.

If both have the channels you want/need, then compare price. Dont forget the price will increase after either 12 or 24 months and factor that into your decision.

I have older receivers with Dish, but I'm told the new receivers are really good, but they supposedly have issues with OTA reception (if that's important to you).

I have DirecTV and love it. Much better PQ than Dish, HD Sportsmix channel that airs the big events (US Open, The Masters, etc.), Pandora integrated, Sunday Ticket.

I have DirecTV. At the time I was shopping I looked at the channels I want and compared the packages I would need in order to get them and DirecTV was lower. I also have AT&T for internet (DSL at the time, U-Verse now) and since DirecTV is part of AT&T I get a discount for bundling them.

Had both, and much prefer Direct Tv. I switched to them back in 2009 and have been mostly happy with them ever since.

Really a Coke Versus Pepsi question.
Dish is cheaper
Direct has NFL.
I will say we get a LOT more complains about signal issues with DirecTv than Dish.
But both are better than cable or streaming IMHO

We had been Comcast customers for many, many years. When our new construction house was finished 3 years ago, Comcast hadn't dropped cable lines on our street yet (we live on a very tiny street, just 3 houses). So we were forced to do something else, even for internet. I looked hard at both DirecTV and Dish, and for us, the comparison wasn't even close. DirectTV was a far better offering. We signed up with them 3 years ago and haven't left, even though Comcast has since put down lines. We do have Comcast now for internet, but have stayed with DirecTV. Mainly, we like it for NFL Sunday Ticket, but the channel line up is fine. I will add in a slight * because we don't watch ANY premium channels like HBO, etc...so we're a bit different.

Signal strength is fine. It will go out in heavy rain, but it's not very often.

I used to work for DirecTv customer service. We always said "We don't claim to be the cheapest, we claim to be the best." And they took customer service very, very seriously.

However, I have Dish now because cheaper is more important to me.

I've had both.

I strongly prefer DirecTV.

Their prices are very competitive and they are willing to work with you on price if you mention that you might cancel.

Their DVR works very well and is very dependable.

They are also the largest TV provider in the country, for what it is worth.

In addition, if you have certain AT&T wireless plans you can get a nice discount as well.

If you are a first time customer, go with Dish. Both will have good initial deals; however, Dish has the better format in my opinion (more options in recording, etc.) We had Dish forever and finally they just did not offer anything for a repeat customer, so we were paying more for less bells and whistles than their newer customers were getting. It was a hassle to switch, but we got a two-year deal with Direct that makes the less options format ok to deal with. Pick one, go with it for two years. Try to get a good deal to renew. If the renewal deal is not to your liking or not as good as the competition. Start over with the other guys and repeat every 4-5 years.

We've had DirectTv and Dish. I prefer Dish for two reasons. First they have both horse racing networks (yeah, specific audience here, lol) and when we had DirectTv many years ago, they removed a bunch of the channels my DH enjoyed, but did not offer a better rate due to that loss. We switched to Dish once that happened and haven't looked back. Anytime I've had to deal with customer service has been super easy, so that's a plus in my book.

I have Dish, don't follow any NFL games so it works for me. I've had Dish for over 15 years and they have been more than willing to negotiate my rates every six months.

We have had DirecTV for many, many years. Occasionally we'll call them and work out a cheaper rate, which is what DH just did a couple of weeks ago. We had been up to almost $140/month, now we're about $95/month for the next 12 months. We like their service, we rarely lose signal except for a super hard downpouring rain and sometimes snow will pile up on the dish and we have to brush it off. But comparing it to my Mom's struggles with Charter, there's no comparison. Her TV and phone would go out all the time, for no apparent reason. We rarely have to call them for service, but when we do they are out here the very next day. We had Dish at a cabin we rented and we didn't like it so we have no plans to switch.

I used to work for DirecTv customer service. We always said "We don't claim to be the cheapest, we claim to be the best." And they took customer service very, very seriously.

However, I have Dish now because cheaper is more important to me.

My FIL had huge customer service issues with DirecTV, but, in all honesty, it could have been because he was a Prime Star customer who got bought up by DirecTV in 2002. The came out and switched out his Prime Star equipment for DirecTV no problem. Back then Prime Star was the only satellite provider who included the equipment for free and replaced it if it failed. You used to have to buy DirecTV and Dish equipment, and if it broke after the warranty, you had to pay to replace it. He had it in writing that DirecTV would honor that for their equipment. He went up all the chains of command on the phone with DirecTv and was told he would have to pay $50 for a new remote when his died. He just told them to cancel his service, and went back to cable. The mailman came right after the cable guy installed everything.......with a free remote!

DirecTv and was told he would have to pay $50 for a new remote when his died

Ah, see, I worked for their "protection plan" department where their equipment was covered and replaced at no (additional) cost.

Everyone is saying that Dish is cheaper (versus DirecTV), but last I checked they weren't all that much cheaper (if at all) when comparing packages that were apples-to-apples.
But the packages on DISH had the channels that I want. Better options than what I found on DIRECT. I didn't see the sense in paying "just a little more" to get a package with channels that I didn't want.

And "isn't all that much cheaper" is still cheaper, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!