Disney Abandons Vegans - There are ZERO Options

Hi Everyone ~ I went to the Magic Kingdom on Saturday, September 21, 2019 and wanted to review my experience as a vegan park attendee. We arrived early, during the Extra Magic Hour, hoping to ride The Haunted Mansion and then find breakfast. However, upon arriving, we learned that there were NO breakfast options available that were vegan EXCEPT at The Crystal Palace for $30.00 per person. I am sorry, but all I can say is that the corporate greed of Disney is shining bright when you have ZERO vegan options that are affordable. We then inquired about Mickey Waffles, a favorite of ours for years, but were told by a Disney Experience cast member that the only options available for anyone who is vegan is The Crystal Palace. Unfortunately, we decided to skip breakfast and wait for lunch.

However, lunch was even worse. We found ourselves in Tomorrow Land around 11am, very hungry and needing to sit down. We found the ONLY available lunch venue open for quick counter service, Cosmic Joe's Starlight Cafe. On the very limited menu they listed 1 item: Vegan Sloppy Joe served on a bun with cole slaw, cheese, and fries. No one around me was ordering that item, so I couldn't see what it looked like. The cashier, the only staff member available to speak to, was hard pressed to answer my questions (like, what is it?) and eventually said most people go with the chicken. Sorry, vegans do not eat chicken. Clearly, she was trying to move me along.

So, we ended up ordering the Vegan Sloppy Joe. Wrapped tightly in foil, all I can say is the Vegan Sloppy Joe was gross and disgusting. Doused in hot sauce, the pieces of "plant-based material" were unrecognizable in every way, shape, or form. Was it broccoli? Was it cauliflower? Was it peas? Was it cut green beans? We couldn't tell. Our neighbors couldn't tell, and we eventually ate only 3 bites of it and ditched it in the trash. It tasted only like hot sauce. However, we did eat the french fries which were actually good. But paying $12.00 for an order of fries is hardly a fair price.

I then looked for reviews of this item, which is a new offering to Disney World. The reviews I've read confirmed my disgust. Disney's Vegan Sloppy Joe is a total loser.

https://vegandisneyworld.com/2019/08/13/sloppy-joe-from-cosmic-rays/

Hi Everyone ~ I went to the Magic Kingdom on Saturday, September 21, 2019 and wanted to review my experience as a vegan park attendee. We arrived early, during the Extra Magic Hour, hoping to ride The Haunted Mansion and then find breakfast. However, upon arriving, we learned that there were NO breakfast options available that were vegan EXCEPT at The Crystal Palace for $30.00 per person. I am sorry, but all I can say is that the corporate greed of Disney is shining bright when you have ZERO vegan options that are affordable. We then inquired about Mickey Waffles, a favorite of ours for years, but were told by a Disney Experience cast member that the only options available for anyone who is vegan is The Crystal Palace. Unfortunately, we decided to skip breakfast and wait for lunch.

However, lunch was even worse. We found ourselves in Tomorrow Land around 11am, very hungry and needing to sit down. We found the ONLY available lunch venue open for quick counter service, Cosmic Joe's Starlight Cafe. On the very limited menu they listed 1 item: Vegan Sloppy Joe served on a bun with cole slaw, cheese, and fries. No one around me was ordering that item, so I couldn't see what it looked like. The cashier, the only staff member available to speak to, was hard pressed to answer my questions (like, what is it?) and eventually said most people go with the chicken. Sorry, vegans do not eat chicken. Clearly, she was trying to move me along.

So, we ended up ordering the Vegan Sloppy Joe. Wrapped tightly in foil, all I can say is the Vegan Sloppy Joe was gross and disgusting. Doused in hot sauce, the pieces of "plant-based material" were unrecognizable in every way, shape, or form. Was it broccoli? Was it cauliflower? Was it peas? Was it cut green beans? We couldn't tell. Our neighbors couldn't tell, and we eventually ate only 3 bites of it and ditched it in the trash. It tasted only like hot sauce. However, we did eat the french fries which were actually good. But paying $12.00 for an order of fries is hardly a fair price.

I then looked for reviews of this item, which is a new offering to Disney World. The reviews I've read confirmed my disgust. Disney's Vegan Sloppy Joe is a total loser.

https://vegandisneyworld.com/2019/08/13/sloppy-joe-from-cosmic-rays/
I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for.
I know the thread below has been very helpful to folks wishing to plan their vegan/vegetarian dining options. ( It's usually best to go to the last page and work backwards for the latest info.)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/vegan-vegetarian-restaurant-dining-help-thread.2473465/

The meat eaters in my group said their meals were not good either. Disney and food have this love/hate relationship, particularly when profit is raised in priority above anything else.

I’ve heard bad things about that sloppy joe from cosmic rays. It sounds gross. They need to do better. Also if I bought something so bad I couldn’t eat it I would ask for my money back. It might help send a message but I understand how it might not seem worth the time and effort.

Seems like main street bakery should have vegan breakfast options but I haven’t looked so maybe not.

I’ve heard bad things about that sloppy joe from cosmic rays. It sounds gross. They need to do better. Also if I bought something so bad I couldn’t eat it I would ask for my money back. It might help send a message but I understand how it might not seem worth the time and effort.

Seems like main street bakery should have vegan breakfast options but I haven’t looked so maybe not.
We tried the Main Street Bakery but the line was SO LONG and we eventually located their menu but breakfast protein items were nothing a vegan could/would eat. Although, we did give it a go.

I don’t see this as Disney being greedy as much as you not being prepared. When faced with a limited diet, it’s helpful to pre-plan. Disney permits guests to bring food into the park, so nothing prevented you from bringing in fruit to eat if there were no breakfast options available at that time. There’s a kiosk near hall of presidents that sells all sorts of fruit and veggies as snack options. Perhaps it’s not open that early, but it would have been open at 11. If no one around you ordered the vegan sloppy joes, that might have been a sign to just order the fries, which can undoubtedly be ordered a la carte. Honestly, you could have googled “vegan options disboards” while in the park and found all sorts of suggestions.

There are many more counter service options available than Cosmic Ray's (Not Joe's) although I don't know what vegan options are available. Did you do any research prior to your visit to see what was available since you follow a specific diet?

To say there are zero vegan options at Disney in your title appears to be inaccurate.

Edited to add..google vegan disney world & you will find a few options. A lot...no. But more then the zero your title implies.

Yes, they are lacking in vegan options but also, a little planning goes a long way. I stock up on some Erin McKennas for breakfast for the week and I do a small grocery run for snacks/wraps/hummas/veggies/PB&J.

There are lots of vegan options in DL but I mean, that is California so yeah. DW will get there. Until then, for me, I will plan ahead, pack in snacks/lunch & eat 5 dole whips a day! ;)

If there is no profit, then there’s no Disney! Can’t you eat salads? When i was making my restaurant selections, i saw saw salads at almost every place i checked. NO restaurant can create a different menu for every one of the hundreds of diet plans out there - they would be bankrupt in no time. If the demand was that great, WdW would jump on the chance to sell more meals.

There is a really awesome vegan burger at Pecos Bills in the MK. Had it a few weeks ago (although I am not Vegan, so I opted to put real cheese and not the vegan cheese on it.)

If I were vegan and going to WDW, I would do all of the planning and research I could before going. Just showing up and winging it is asking for trouble.

There ARE vegan options if you are willing to do your research. And as someone else mentioned, you are always free to bring your own food into the park.

A vegan diet is pretty restrictive, unfortunately, so it should be no surprise that the majority of offerings do not conform to it. Planning is key!

If I were vegan and going to WDW, I would do all of the planning and research I could before going. Just showing up and winging it is asking for trouble.
/\
This!

I'm gluten free, definitely NOT by lifestyle choice but medical necessity due to auto immune disease. I would never go anywhere without looking into my options. But for me, if I happen to get too much gluten I would get very ill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter