**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

I have not been following this after hours event because I didn't think it was for us. But, DH is very interested in it now for our May trip if they offer it.
I'm trying to understand it and I'm wondering if it's like MNSSHP in that you can get in the park earlier than the "start time" and go on rides? Or will they hold you back until official start time?
I admit that I'm having some issues justifying the costs. And we are "extra's" people; dessert parties, MNSSHP, etc. I feel like I can justify the cost for MNSSHP in that we can get 8 hours in the park. This event is only 3 hours and costs more.
TIA for any input!

if regular guests get in line for Avatar right before park closing, and the line takes a couple hours, are the DAH people in line behind that? I loved Avatar the one time we rode it with a FP. Is it reasonable to expect to ride it multiple times on a DAH night or is the line still long?

I have not been following this after hours event because I didn't think it was for us. But, DH is very interested in it now for our May trip if they offer it.
I'm trying to understand it and I'm wondering if it's like MNSSHP in that you can get in the park earlier than the "start time" and go on rides? Or will they hold you back until official start time?
I admit that I'm having some issues justifying the costs. And we are "extra's" people; dessert parties, MNSSHP, etc. I feel like I can justify the cost for MNSSHP in that we can get 8 hours in the park. This event is only 3 hours and costs more.
TIA for any input!

You can get in the park at 7pm. Not as good as MNSSHP or MVMCP, but at least you get a little extra time where you can take advantage of rides, dining, whatever you’d like.

The park closes for all DAK DAH dates at 8pm, event hours are 8:30-11:30pm. That ‘extra’ 30 minutes is bonus time, to some extent, for DAH ticket holders. It’s also convenient in that’s 30 minutes for day guests to clear out and ride lines like FoP and NRJ to go down so you have ‘better conditions’ at the start of the event (if that makes sense).

I have not attended DAK DAH yet, but I’m a fan of the DAH concept in general. We’ve done MK and DHS and thought it was well worth it.

I've never tried to post a PDF before but I have one side....
Thanks for posting that, but now that I see it, that REALLY doesn't look like enough attractions to make it 'worth it' to me. Unless, of course, I chose not to get day tickets and to do only DAH at each park. Which is an idea...

This is regarding MK, so I'm not sure how applicable it is but I'll share anyway.

We are doing a trip with ONLY an MK DAH ticket (no regular park tickets, no AP tickets) linked to my MDE account. Park hours the day I'm going are 9am-9pm. I was able to book 3 FPs but the latest I was able to book one was from 7:30-8:30. It wouldn't show me anything later than that. So it may have to do with the park hours on the day you're going. So I have a 5:30-6:30, 6:30-7:30 & 7:30-8:30...if they won't let us in before 7pm I will just have to miss the first one! :)
so, to clarify: The DAH without a regular ticket lets you get FP+? Would those be 60 days out for a resort guest?

so, to clarify: The DAH without a regular ticket lets you get FP+? Would those be 60 days out for a resort guest?

We just booked DAH at AK for Feb 19th. We don't have any other tickets on our MDE, but there are FP+ available for us to book. Nothing very exciting as there was nothing for Nemo, Lion King, Safaris, Rapids or FoP, due to a mixture of refurbishment, don't run that late or sold out. I didn't see the point in booking Dinosaur, Everest or NRJ given they were open during the party (and honestly it didn't seem fair that we could take up a FP+ without a real ticket). But guilt aside, I did book PW at 7:30, which at that time should be a walk on anyways.
And yes, you could in theory get 2 FP+, one at 6:30 and a 2nd at 7:30. I tested it out by booking both and then canceling the 6:30, as I didn't really want the 2nd attraction.

That's the way it worked for me. And yes, at 60 days as a resort guest. This is the first time we've ever ONLY had the special event ticket linked to MDE, so I wasn't 100% sure it would work until it did. :) In the past, we've either had other regular tickets linked that we were saving for a future trip or the special event tickets were being used along with some other form of ticket.

I've never experienced any problems booking FP+ with various special event tickets, but I know it can sometimes create issues for people.

You can get in the park at 7pm. Not as good as MNSSHP or MVMCP, but at least you get a little extra time where you can take advantage of rides, dining, whatever you’d like.

The park closes for all DAK DAH dates at 8pm, event hours are 8:30-11:30pm. That ‘extra’ 30 minutes is bonus time, to some extent, for DAH ticket holders. It’s also convenient in that’s 30 minutes for day guests to clear out and ride lines like FoP and NRJ to go down so you have ‘better conditions’ at the start of the event (if that makes sense).

I have not attended DAK DAK yet, but I’m a fan of the DAH concept in general. We’ve done MK and DHS and thought it was well worth it.

Thanks for the info.!

I'm looking at the May AK hours now and it has closing listed at 8:30 for one week of our trip and 9PM for the following week of our trip. (we haven't fully set our dates yet so I'm looking at two weeks) I'll have to keep an eye on how/if that changes for DAH. Especially because we like to ride FOP at closing and if we pick a day that they have DAH and we aren't doing it that particular day, it will definitely mess up our plan.

I'm wondering if they offer DAH in May will they change the park closing time? Or adjust the DAH times? It would really stink if they kept park close at 9PM for regular guests and start DAH at 9:30 and only run it until 11PM. We probably wouldn't do it in that case. Hopefully in that scenario they would extend the DAH to 12:30 AM or 1 AM.

Thanks for the info.!

I'm looking at the May AK hours now and it has closing listed at 8:30 for one week of our trip and 9PM for the following week of our trip. (we haven't fully set our dates yet so I'm looking at two weeks) I'll have to keep an eye on how/if that changes for DAH. Especially because we like to ride FOP at closing and if we pick a day that they have DAH and we aren't doing it that particular day, it will definitely mess up our plan.

I'm wondering if they offer DAH in May will they change the park closing time? Or adjust the DAH times? It would really stink if they kept park close at 9PM for regular guests and start DAH at 9:30 and only run it until 11PM. We probably wouldn't do it in that case. Hopefully in that scenario they would extend the DAH to 12:30 AM or 1 AM.

DAH is three hours, no matter the park closing time. MK DAH has been at all sorts of times... 8-11, 9-12, 10-1, etc based on the time of year - it just flexes with the park calendar.

To date, Disney has not taken away regular park hours and added DAH.... they’ve only added DAH on top of whatever park hours generally are at that time.

Hope that makes sense.

DAH is three hours, no matter the park closing time. MK DAH has been at all sorts of times... 8-11, 9-12, 10-1, etc based on the time of year - it just flexes with the park calendar.

To date, Disney has not taken away regular park hours and added DAH.... they’ve only added DAH on top of whatever park hours generally are at that time.

Hope that makes sense.

It does, thank you!

Whatever park close time is, expect DAH for three hours. But there should still be that 30 minute buffer when day guests are leaving? Will they change the time that people with DAH tickets can get in, or will that stay at 7 regardless of closing time?

So I'm looking at:
On an 8:30 regular park close day, possibly a half hour of clearing day guests, DAH starting at 9 until 12
and/or
On a 9 regular park close day, possibly half hour of clearing day guests, DAH starting at 9:30 until 12:30

??? Do I have that right? We've never done an after hours event.

I think I read this entire thread, sorry to ask this question of I somehow missed the information. Are there NO meet & greets during AK DAH? Even standard ones? I am on the fence about going to this next week. I have not bought tickets, I am still undecided.

I have done MK one twice, and I absolutely LOVE it. I have done DVC at MK (pretty crowded but those fireworks were great and the special meet/greets great but I missed all of them because their lines were insane); I also did DVC event at Studios, and it was just ok, persistent lines in TS Land of course, great meet/greets though. (I am aware the DVC events are different).

PS the AK DAH events are HEAVILY discounted for CMs, so it must be missing their desired crowd levels.

FYI, here's a cut/paste from the FAQ on the MK DAH thread that covers the booking FPs with a DAH ticket topic:

FPs with a DAH Ticket
  • FPs are not available during DAH event hours, all rides are standby only.
  • DAH tickets will allow for FP booking during regular park hours prior to the event. So - if you have no other FPs booked that day - one could book FPs during with a DAH ticket during the regular park hours before the event.
  • HOWEVER, there can be issues when doing this, as has been happened for some people with MNSSHP and MVMCP events since 2017. Booking FPs with DAH tickets in combination with certain trip details/configurations can potentially cause Disney's system to flag your account for insufficient ticket entitlements and you will receive a warning that your last day of FPs will be cancelled if you do not address the problem.
  • Who and exactly why people get this warning remains elusive.
  • Bottom line - if you choose to book FPs with your DAH ticket entitlement and you have FPs booked on other days with regular park admission - you have some potential risk of receiving this warning... so keep an eye out.

I think I read this entire thread, sorry to ask this question of I somehow missed the information. Are there NO meet & greets during AK DAH? Even standard ones? I am on the fence about going to this next week. I have not bought tickets, I am still undecided.

I have done MK one twice, and I absolutely LOVE it. I have done DVC at MK (pretty crowded but those fireworks were great and the special meet/greets great but I missed all of them because their lines were insane); I also did DVC event at Studios, and it was just ok, persistent lines in TS Land of course, great meet/greets though. (I am aware the DVC events are different).

PS the AK DAH events are HEAVILY discounted for CMs, so it must be missing their desired crowd levels.

Yep, no meet and greets (which I think it a miss, but no one asked me!) other than the Dino-Riffic Dance Party. Here's the open attractions handout:

DAK_DAH Handout_December 2018.jpg

It does, thank you!

Whatever park close time is, expect DAH for three hours. But there should still be that 30 minute buffer when day guests are leaving? Will they change the time that people with DAH tickets can get in, or will that stay at 7 regardless of closing time?

So I'm looking at:
On an 8:30 regular park close day, possibly a half hour of clearing day guests, DAH starting at 9 until 12
and/or
On a 9 regular park close day, possibly half hour of clearing day guests, DAH starting at 9:30 until 12:30

??? Do I have that right? We've never done an after hours event.

The 30 minute "buffer" is something new/unique to the DAH events at DHS and DAK (they don't do it like this at MK). These events are relatively new - just started in December - so presumably the buffer will continue if they add more dates, but TBD of course.

The 7pm entry time does stay consistent no matter DAH event hours. The 7pm entry never changes.

Your hypothetical hours scenarios are correct, assuming they continue to set event times with the 30 minute buffer.

I have to push my adult son in a manual WC type stroller, he weighs about 160 pounds. Getting him up that hill to FoP, which he enjoys, is nightmarish (I am 60 years old myself). I think this even would be just too hard for me, to get him onto FoP a few times. (other rides at WDW are difficult for the same reason, but FoP is one of the toughest). I do not expect special treatment, just think it's a no to this event this time. If it was a trip without him, like I sometimes do, I would be running up that line queue to ride over and over!

if regular guests get in line for Avatar right before park closing, and the line takes a couple hours, are the DAH people in line behind that? I loved Avatar the one time we rode it with a FP. Is it reasonable to expect to ride it multiple times on a DAH night or is the line still long?

Yes, day guests can get in line right up until park closing - so there has the potential to be carry-over day guests in line overlapping with DAH guests. Although a 2 hour line at closing would be pretty rare.

The AK DAH events are scheduled with a 30 minute "gap" or "buffer" between park closing and the start of the DAH event. While we don't know why they set the AK and DHS events up this way, I'm assuming it was to give ride lines a chance to filter through for the bigger headliners like FoP (and SDD in the case of DHS).

To date, the reports seem to indicate pretty positive FoP ride experiences for DAH guests. But, the event is in its infancy and we're still learning a lot about how it all works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter