**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

I agree with others that clearly Villains are well-liked and the events were obviously popular. I think I was lucky last week, but it sounds like "sell out" numbers make it unmanageable. They really need to think about more offerings for the villains, maybe even a ride or land with the theme. Of course, restricting them to special events may be what maintains their popularity, but they need to do a better job managing the events then. I really was happy with that show though, so I hope they can do more stuff like that!

I didn't hear about the HM 50th merch until last week, and I figured I could get the headbands and the villains merch in one stop, even if it took a little longer. I have a friend who is a Disney licensed artist and she is engaged to another Disney licensed artist and they are both obsessed with HM, so I thought it would be a fun engagement present, but since I thought they were opening at 10 and it was 8thirty, I couldn't bring myself to ditch my kids and my FPs for that long! Then of course I didn't make it anywhere else for a tshirt because things just got hectic - but I got my AP ornament so that was good!

My kids had an DAH agenda and I had a Villains agenda so it was tough to make both work, lol!

I thought you were talking about VAH. I did not think the HM stuff was released until today. Seems like Disney caused all the issues with that one releasing limited HM stuff during VAH.

I want to apologize. After attending 2 VAH, and feeling that both events were more than satisfactory, I was puzzled by the negative reviews. I thought people were complaining mostly about not riding enough rides. After reading last night's reviews, I wonder if maybe my gaze was a little too narrow.

Instead of focusing just on ride totals, I now think people are commenting on other aspects of the Villains event. For example, congestion of the Magic Kingdom walkways, a lack of free snacks or drinks, the line at Momento Mori, the availability of VAH merchandise, dislike of the music being played, the need for strategy, dislike of the villains... etc. It changes perspective once the onus is off the simplicity of a ride total.

What I've gotten out of the recent reviews is that ride totals were about par for a regular MK AH, but the overall atmosphere, or different aspects of the event were not to everyone's liking.

Thank you to everyone for the reviews!

I want to apologize. After attending 2 VAH, and feeling that both events were more than satisfactory, I was puzzled by the negative reviews. I thought people were complaining mostly about not riding enough rides. After reading last night's reviews, I wonder if maybe my gaze was a little too narrow.

Instead of focusing just on ride totals, I now think people are commenting on other aspects of the Villains event. For example, congestion of the Magic Kingdom walkways, a lack of free snacks or drinks, the line at Momento Mori, the availability of VAH merchandise, dislike of the music being played, the need for strategy, dislike of the villains... etc. It changes perspective once the onus is off the simplicity of a ride total.

What I've gotten out of the recent reviews is that ride totals were about par for a regular MK AH, but the overall atmosphere, or different aspects of the event were not to everyone's liking.

Thank you to everyone for the reviews!
For me it did come down to ride totals. Crowded walkways made getting around the park more difficult which meant less ride time and longer lines throughout the park meants fewer rides. During a normal After Hours I think I could have done another 4 or 5 rides. We did Animal Kingdom the same week and did 3 more rides than we were able to do at Magic Kingdom and that was an hour shorter on time AND we watched a show at Animal Kingdom which is something we didn't do at Magic Kingdom. I wasn't interested in the other elements of Villains but those elements didn't bother me. The crowds and wait times are what bothered me.

We had a great time. Compared to the two MNSSHP and MVMCP thatI attended last year,, the crowds were much lower. We started at Pirates in the layover line and it took about 12 minutes of waiting. Stopped to get popcorn drinks and ice cream, maybe took two minutes of waiting in line. Walked over toHaunted Mansion and could not believe how light the crowds were. Haunted Mansion wait was about 15 minutes. We then got in the 45 minute line for Memento Mori and a CM started chatting us up. Turned out the jars we wanted to buy could be purchased at the ticket center in Liberty Square and he personally walked us over and opened the doors to let us in. There were only two other sets of customers in there while we were there, not enough people knew about it! The. We stopped for sodas and ice cream again, took a bathroom break, and found a bench for the parade. It was never crowded while waiting for the parade where we were back in Liberty Square. After Maleficent we stopped in the Emporium to buy a few things and most of the special event stuff was picked over. We finally made it out to our bus just after midnight and arrived at our stop at around 12:15. I realize we’re a bit of an anomaly, a couple in their 40s that did not bring kids with them, but for us we were able to do everything we wanted with minimal hassle.
I agree with being less crowded than MNSSHP. For example, there was no need to "find a spot" to see Maleficent or the Villains show (which was great). And some of the rides were walk-ons (such as the little kid rides and Buzz).

For me it did come down to ride totals. Crowded walkways made getting around the park more difficult which meant less ride time and longer lines throughout the park meants fewer rides. During a normal After Hours I think I could have done another 4 or 5 rides. We did Animal Kingdom the same week and did 3 more rides than we were able to do at Magic Kingdom and that was an hour shorter on time AND we watched a show at Animal Kingdom which is something we didn't do at Magic Kingdom. I wasn't interested in the other elements of Villains but those elements didn't bother me. The crowds and wait times are what bothered me.
I'm sorry that the event failed to meet expectation.

Went last night with our group of 10. I was really concerned when I heard that it was sold out, but felt that it was manageable. Our group split and some of us did Pirates first and some did Space first and then we met back up at Tomorrowland and did each land in order riding what folks wanted to ride. I think we ended up doing 9 rides (Pirates/Space, Buzz, People Mover, Pooh, Barnstormer, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash), none of which had significant waits. This was pretty good for a party our size since we had 2 who could not walk fast and a few who stopped multiple times to take a ton of pics. If I had a choice between this and regular after hours, I would choose regular hands down since I missed being able to hear the regular theme music and the more gradual exiting of the park. However, if this was the only one offered, I still think we accomplished a lot more than we could have during a regular MK evening due to crowds or a morning due to the heat. We had FPs for Mine Train, Peter Pan & Big Thunder and we did Philharmagic and Laugh Floor before the event. My only disappointment is that many snack stands closed early and the 3 I stopped at starting at 12:45 were out of water. Given the weather, I think this is something they need to plan better for.
Holy smoke! Your group of 10 was able to do 9 rides! Wow! Wow! Wow! Considering the sold out event, the large group size, the picture taking, and group limitations, I'd definitely agree that you did "pretty good". I'm glad that it worked out... Do you have any tricks or secrets you're willing to share?

This was our feeling about it too. We weren't bothered by the theme but rides were our focus. I think it we wanted the show, treats, magic shots (the whole villains experience) we would have been ok with the ride count. Since we weren't interested in that, we were disappointed with the ride waits and crowds. I knew it was a risk and we absolutely loved the regular AH. It's just not for us. I'm glad others have has a good time for the most part.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the crowds last night. This was my first After Hours event, but my only option for this trip, unfortunately. The crowds were crazy!. We entered the park around 6:45 and could tell right away it was a very busy night, but it didn't feel like it thinned out much either for the event. My main focus for this event was just to have access to the rides. We only are spending 3 days for tickets and MK is usually two of those on its own. I was hoping this would feel more carefree, but because of the crowds it was definitely a more hectic dash to try and get everything done in the few hours we had. We managed to ride most of the rides, but had to mad dash and skip the party, shows, and maleficent. I had heard of some people being able to ride BTMRR multiple times through, but we waited 20 minutes to board nearly 1 hour into the party.

On the positive note, the weather was perfect, I like the theming/lighting/music. We caught the last 10 minutes of the final stage show from afar (because the hub was packed like the fireworks), but it looked pretty awesome. We also got to catch the last few minutes of Maleficent coming down the end of Main Street on our way out.

All in all, it's a good concept, but I think Disney oversold for an "After Hours" or agree with some of you who think it should be called something else to not give the wrong impression. I think I would much prefer the original After Hours event in the future.

I think it's like any other party or event, some have one experience, some have another while others have a mix.

The hub wasn't packed for the last show, we were on the right side in the street and had tons of room around us. Close to the stage was crowded but it was nowhere near the shoulder to shoulder at a holiday party or hea.

We didn't have trouble walking around and I didn't find it congested. It was busy before the party and there were still a lot of people but to me it wasn't mk or holiday party crowded.

I think this is an event that people just won't agree on because so many of the experiences are polar opposites. But my friend spent 1.5 hr in the hm merch line starting about 9 and she still enjoyed all we got done at the party.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the crowds last night. This was my first After Hours event, but my only option for this trip, unfortunately. The crowds were crazy!. We entered the park around 6:45 and could tell right away it was a very busy night, but it didn't feel like it thinned out much either for the event. My main focus for this event was just to have access to the rides. We only are spending 3 days for tickets and MK is usually two of those on its own. I was hoping this would feel more carefree, but because of the crowds it was definitely a more hectic dash to try and get everything done in the few hours we had. We managed to ride most of the rides, but had to mad dash and skip the party, shows, and maleficent. I had heard of some people being able to ride BTMRR multiple times through, but we waited 20 minutes to board nearly 1 hour into the party.

On the positive note, the weather was perfect, I like the theming/lighting/music. We caught the last 10 minutes of the final stage show from afar (because the hub was packed like the fireworks), but it looked pretty awesome. We also got to catch the last few minutes of Maleficent coming down the end of Main Street on our way out.

All in all, it's a good concept, but I think Disney oversold for an "After Hours" or agree with some of you who think it should be called something else to not give the wrong impression. I think I would much prefer the original After Hours event in the future.
If you don't mind me asking, how many rides were you able to fit into the night?

We finally got our magic shots from thursday. Is the Hades one only a video? That's all we got and we thought it'd be a pic.

Compared to the regular After Hours last year, we felt this one was definitely more crowded. We went for the rides and the nighttime atmosphere. Was still fun but definitely left disappointed when comparing this year to last year.

If you don't mind me asking, how many rides were you able to fit into the night?

We had FP set for 3 (Monsters, Splash, and Jungle Cruise) before party began. Took a break from rides to watch the Fireworks and then continued on the rest of the night:

Aladdin Magic Carpets (w/4th FP)
POC (before Villains overlay, wait time was only 5 minutes so we decided to go on right away)
Splash Mtn (2nd time)
Thunder Mtn
Haunted Mansion
Dumbo
Barnstormer (4x)
Peter Pan
7DMT
Space Mtn

Got off SM about 1:10 am so we couldn't hit Buzz that night. I was just hoping to have more rides that were on and off and with 5 mins or less wait times. Many rides were 15 or more minutes (7DMT was 25 mins as was Space) which ate up a lot more time. It was fun, but would have enjoyed a quieter AH for myself personally.

Holy smoke! Your group of 10 was able to do 9 rides! Wow! Wow! Wow! Considering the sold out event, the large group size, the picture taking, and group limitations, I'd definitely agree that you did "pretty good". I'm glad that it worked out... Do you have any tricks or secrets you're willing to share?

I think we were able to do 9 because each group only did 1 of the overlay rides and got in line for it at 9:45ish. Once we met back up in Tomorrowland, we went sort of counter clockwise visiting each area and riding anything anyone wanted to do in that area. We didn't do 7DMT since the wait said 25 mins and we had already ridden with a FP. We got to BTMR somewhere around 12:15-12:30 so that was virtually a walk-on by that point since the queue is sooo long and Splash was also a walk on. Not sure if we lucked out in timing or not, but it worked for us. We lost 2 of our group early who watched the 12pm show and then headed out, but the rest of us waited and did the 1am show and then waited for Maleficent. Other than 1 magic shot a couple of quick pics in front of various projections/signs, etc., we didn't do any of the other Villains "stuff" during the event so I think that helped.

We finally got our magic shots from thursday. Is the Hades one only a video? That's all we got and we thought it'd be a pic.
Yes, unfortunately. Was hoping for a pic as well, as my son was dressed as Hades :(

Compared to the regular After Hours last year, we felt this one was definitely more crowded. We went for the rides and the nighttime atmosphere. Was still fun but definitely left disappointed when comparing this year to last year.
This was exactly how we felt too. It was very crowded. There were no moments of the "empty park" feeling that we loved from last year. I had read previously that it was busier then normal after hours but wow - this was a lot more crowded! We did get on Pirates with a short wait and the kids loved the live actors - they were wanting more within the ride! We never made it onto Space but did jump on people mover to experience a moment of what it was like. I was disappointed too that half way through pop corn carts couldn't keep up with the crowds! My DD really wanted popcorn but every one we passed by was waiting for more popcorn and a line of people waiting for it to pop. We still had a good time but definitely not worth the cost this time! We decided on Tuesday to attend and I honestly wish it would've been sold out before we bought our tickets to have saved us the money lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!