Disney announces new Ticket system for WDW

So anyone have any idea how UT is going to sell tickets in the future? The tickets I want are still cheaper on UT, but my group probably won't be buying tickets until jan-feb. Considering you have to pick a start date, are resell discount tickets even going to be a thing anymore??

Worst thing is you only get 4 days for a 3 day ticket - we usually spread 3 day tickets over a week! AAARRRGGHHH and to get that benefit you have to upgrade to Flexible Dates option - paying $70 just to use your tickets over a week!

Yep. So before the change, a 3 day hopper in Feb was $788. Now it’s $830. So I just threw $40 down the toilet.

So anyone have any idea how UT is going to sell tickets in the future? The tickets I want are still cheaper on UT, but my group probably won't be buying tickets until jan-feb. Considering you have to pick a start date, are resell discount tickets even going to be a thing anymore??
UT is selling the old tickets through late October unless they run out before that.

Hmmm. But you can manipulate the system. The $830 price is based on my buying a ticket that starts on 2/14, our first days in the park. That’s good thu Monday 2/18. But I know we’re going three contiguous days 2/14 - 16. So if I purchase the ticket on 2/12, which is good through 2/16, price is back down to $792.

Hmmm. But you can manipulate the system. The $830 price is based on my buying a ticket that starts on 2/14, our first days in the park. That’s good thu Monday 2/18. But I know we’re going three contiguous days 2/14 - 16. So if I purchase the ticket on 2/12, which is good through 2/16, price is back down to $792.

Yep this is the new future, exploring when to buy due to length of tickets, etc. and the best price.

Yep. So before the change, a 3 day hopper in Feb was $788. Now it’s $830. So I just threw $40 down the toilet.

A 3 day hopper is $830?! I priced out a 9 day hopper for my December dates just to see and it was $540.

Yep this is the new future, exploring when to buy due to length of tickets, etc. and the best price.

Hmm- this could get complicated- I am thinking it may be possible that for some dates buying like a 7-day ticket might be cheaper than a 6 day on a worse day. Yay for more variables rom consider in a Disney trip!

If it's good for 4 days, isn't the last day you can use it on 2/15? I need clarification.

Never mind. I thought that it was good for four days but I see that it's five.

Last edited:
A 3 day hopper is $830?! I priced out a 9 day hopper for my December dates just to see and it was $540.
Yea it doesn't make sense. 3 single day PH would be cheaper. They must mean for several people at that price.

I bought my tickets over the weekend because I didn't want to chance it. I'm going in July so I figured those would increase for sure. I got the 8 day hooper for $500. Just priced them and I saved $28 buying them at the previous price point. I will say it was a huge pain to price them in the first place.

Overall, I am not happy with the new time limits to use the tickets. Usually when I go I enjoy down days because I love hanging out at the resort. I preferred having more time of than on. But that's just me. I don't go often enough for an AP. My last trip was in 2012.

Any guesses or insights on how upgrades/ ticket bridging will work with new system in place? Especially in regards to tickets bought before the date- based system... wondering if you will get credited the new face value based on the day?

I haven't been paying attention to this so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
So the tickets can be used for any park but you have to purchase them for a specific date? Let's say I'm going for a week, and buy 4 day tickets. When I purchase the tickets I now have to pick what 4 days out of my week I will be going to a park?
If I get there and have tickets for Monday but not Tuesday then decide I want to go Tuesday instead of Monday am I out of luck?

I haven't been paying attention to this so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
So the tickets can be used for any park but you have to purchase them for a specific date? Let's say I'm going for a week, and buy 4 day tickets. When I purchase the tickets I now have to pick what 4 days out of my week I will be going to a park?
If I get there and have tickets for Monday but not Tuesday then decide I want to go Tuesday instead of Monday am I out of luck?

No, not that specific .... you basically have to pick your first day and that becomes the basis for your pricing and then you have (I believe) 7 days from that point to use your tickets. You you can change around which days within that time frame you actually go to the parks, just a shorter timeframe to use them than in the past ... but there is at least a bit of flexibility to allow for a down day or 2

So this may have been talked about previously.

So does this new calendar basically tell us that Galaxy's Edge is opening the week of Dec. 16? Since the calendar only goes out that far and Fall is technically over on Dec. 21? Seems odd the prices would just stop on Dec. 16 .. and not just Dec. 31.

Though if it did open that week .. anyone buying a lot of tickets that start on Dec. 14-16 would have access to that week at "normal" prices .. *shrug*

It may be a good deal to buy the 10-day tickets for $50/each that start on Dec. 16 .. which hopefully would give you admission to SWGE opening and Christmas Day. *shrug*.

So this may have been talked about previously.

So does this new calendar basically tell us that Galaxy's Edge is opening the week of Dec. 16? Since the calendar only goes out that far and Fall is technically over on Dec. 21? Seems odd the prices would just stop on Dec. 16 .. and not just Dec. 31.

Though if it did open that week .. anyone buying a lot of tickets that start on Dec. 14-16 would have access to that week at "normal" prices .. *shrug*

It may be a good deal to buy the 10-day tickets for $50/each that start on Dec. 16 .. which hopefully would give you admission to SWGE opening and Christmas Day. *shrug*.
I believe it is too early to know or sure.

I'm thinking based on the AP price change and no block out days listed past next September for DHS..the earliest opening day would be in October.. but that might be based on no Hurricanes and other delays.
Maybe some preview days in October ..that would be great!

I almost wish we could start a new thread to discuss specifically what will or will NOT happen when SW:GE opens. It seems like many people believe Disney will suddenly raise the cost of all park tickets overnight and that they'll be upwards of $150 or more for a one-day ticket. I don't think that'll happen at all. I certainly believe there will be another increase in park tickets between now and then, but it'll be along the lines of past increases or possibly a smidge more if the economy doesn't tank between now and then.

What I think is far more likely for the opening of SW:GE, is upcharge events. In the first few weeks or months of its opening, they'll offer special events for dvc, ap holders, and probably even the general public, but these events will be EX$PEN$IVE!!! I don't think I even want to guess at the price or what the event will be, but you'll get a chance to see the land and ride the rides -- for a price. Everyone else will be waiting 6-8 hours just to get in and ride later in the day on their regular park tickets.

THAT is why I don't think they'll raise the price on regular park tickets just for the opening of the land. I could be totally wrong, I accept that.

What is the peak pricing that people are willing to pay? I guess Disney and myself are interested...

Since 2010, Reg ticket prices have increased roughly 50% (math becomes fuzzy as there were new tiers created in that time) and Ap's (Traditional AP's) have increased roughly 70%.

The question becomes, could you see yourself paying 50% and 70% more than today's prices in 8 years? That would put the traditional AP at roughly $1426 and a one day ticket at roughly $172 (no park hopper).....

I will say that for us, we are likely done as Apers. Was fun while it lasted!

No, not that specific .... you basically have to pick your first day and that becomes the basis for your pricing and then you have (I believe) 7 days from that point to use your tickets. You you can change around which days within that time frame you actually go to the parks, just a shorter timeframe to use them than in the past ... but there is at least a bit of flexibility to allow for a down day or 2

Thank you so much for the explanation. I was worried I would have to pick specific dates for any future trips. We are a go with the flow type so that would have been hard for our family so I'm glad to hear that it isn't like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter