Disney-approved baby carriers

Ellen_N

Earning My Ears
We are experienced and frequent Disneyland goers, but this October will be our first time brining a child. She'll be 13 months.

We want to avoid using a stroller (but will have one as backup). We want to use a hiking-type baby backpack in the park. Does Disney allow those? We thought maybe Ergo baby, but it'll be hot having her attached to us like that. Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DH used a Kelty Kid-Pack for our youngest at WDW back around 2004/2005. He didn't have any problems at all, but he was used to using when we took the kids hiking, which was a few times a month. He always liked that it rested on his hips and didn't make his back hurt. The one in this link is very similar to what we had, ours had a child harness, sun hood and zip-off backpack that doubled as a diaper bag.

https://www.kelty.com/pathfinder-3-0/

We are experienced and frequent Disneyland goers, but this October will be our first time brining a child. She'll be 13 months.

We want to avoid using a stroller (but will have one as backup). We want to use a hiking-type baby backpack in the park. Does Disney allow those? We thought maybe Ergo baby, but it'll be hot having her attached to us like that. Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
you can use in parks walking around but she will have to come out on rides if she is on your back. know some have had luck being able to have child stay in with front carrier but have never tried at that age

you can use in parks walking around but she will have to come out on rides if she is on your back. know some have had luck being able to have child stay in with front carrier but have never tried at that age
Thank you! And I assume something as bulky as that would need to stay with the strollers? Or do you think we could take it off and put it at our feet like a regular backpack (for small Fantasyland rides)

I think you might be more comfortable with an ergo and stroller. You don't have to push the stroller the whole time. You can park them near a ride and come back for it later. I think the ergo is a better option because it's better for naps. I know our 13 month old still napped twice a day and the ergo would allow baby to nap on you while you ride something calm or watch a show. The stroller is another napping option. If you are really determined to bring something like a kelty then practice with naps and see how it goes. I just don't like babies' necks dropping down to their chin while they nap because it cuts off their airway.

I have worn my oldest at WDW in a ring sling, and it worked like a charm. She was older, 2 at the time, but i put her in the sling and wore her through country bears as well as hall of presidents and she had a good hour long nap that way, comfortable in the AC. I also wear our youngest in the moby now and have had her nap for over an hour in the grocery store or whatnot but we will see how she does in it in June when we return to WDW. I will be bringing both carriers into the parks, because anything that i can use to encourage napping is VITAL to all our sanity.

That said, ODD also did nap in WDW in the stroller a couple of times during the parade and while we ate at a CS restaurant. We just intentionally planned for a couple decent times during our days that we wouldn't get on a ride but also wouldn't have to remove her either from the stroller or the sling and made the concerted effort to get her to nap during those intervals.

I have worn my oldest at WDW in a ring sling, and it worked like a charm. She was older, 2 at the time, but i put her in the sling and wore her through country bears as well as hall of presidents and she had a good hour long nap that way, comfortable in the AC. I also wear our youngest in the moby now and have had her nap for over an hour in the grocery store or whatnot but we will see how she does in it in June when we return to WDW. I will be bringing both carriers into the parks, because anything that i can use to encourage napping is VITAL to all our sanity.

That said, ODD also did nap in WDW in the stroller a couple of times during the parade and while we ate at a CS restaurant. We just intentionally planned for a couple decent times during our days that we wouldn't get on a ride but also wouldn't have to remove her either from the stroller or the sling and made the concerted effort to get her to nap during those intervals.
Did you ever have a problem with you or child overheating being wrapped up and/or so close to your body? That was our original thought on the backpack; it's away from your body. Plus it has the sun visor and a small backpack.

We use a stroller and bring our ergo and this time I’ll orobably throw our ring sling in the backpack too and our youngest will be almost 2 on this trip, his other times were 11 months and a year and a half and we’d use the stroller mostly between rides and then would put him in the ergo for any longer wait times/rides, we didn’t get too hot and just made sure to take turns between me and DH, they also make similar ones with more breathable mesh material

Did you ever have a problem with you or child overheating being wrapped up and/or so close to your body? That was our original thought on the backpack; it's away from your body. Plus it has the sun visor and a small backpack.

Actually, we went in September, so it was in the high 80s or even 90 on that trip if i remember correctly. She was also wearing a huge Cinderella dress the day i wore her the longest. I dont think she was super comfortable, but it definitely wasn't enough for her to wake up sooner than an hour or more. I dont think she was super comfy even when she wasn't being worn because it was hot and she had this huge dress on, but still, she loved it and wore it all day. So, i wouldn't probably say it was a huge concern and she was most comfortable that way because it was the carrier that she was most used to. I dont know that i would've worn her as much that trip except it was nice to be able to go into and out of shows without messing with the stroller. I will probably wear the baby more this time because she loves it and it works better for her than the stroller does so I would expect that she will spend a lot of this trip in the Moby. She never seems to have an issue in that either, even when its been hot and we have been outside all day, because she just likes the cuddles.

When we did Disneyland last year, we had a nearly 3 year old and an 11 month old. We brought a double stroller but still wore our son a lot. We used the regular Ergo, though if I were to do it again, I'd prob have opted for the Ergo360 if we'd had it.

We had great luck on rides. The only one I specifically remember being asked to take him out was on AstroOrbiter where he had to sit on the seat. He was in the ergo for Haunted Mansion, Pirates etc. He didn't seem bothered really by facing backwards- still so much to see at Disney! THat said, he wasn't quite walking but could still grab at things so I really loved the Ergo for lines since I didn't want him trying to crawl away or grab other people.

He napped in the stroller and in the ergo but my kids will kind of nap anywhere, ha! So maybe try a few run throughts with that on walks at home to see how it goes. In terms of how hot/sweaty we got, it wasn't a huge deal for us (and he's kind of a mid-size kiddo) but we were at Disneyland in early April so maybe not as hot as October will be for you?

I have heard some people say they’ve had success on rides when the kid was in a front carrier. I think that would be fine for a young baby, but I’m not so sure about a 13 month old. That was about the age when I stopped wearing my son in a front carrier. 28 lbs strapped to my front got painful pretty quickly.

I think a stroller is easier than a back carrier in situations where you have to take the kid in and out a lot, such as a theme park. (Whereas the backpack style carriers are obviously better for situations like hiking.)

I've used an Ergo with kids a few different times - I really like that mine has a mesh area that helps it not be quite so hot. I was not allowed to wear my kids on a couple rides one trip.

I wore my daughter on our last day at Disney when she was 11 months old in our Lillebaby carrier. She is not a fan of strollers, so I stopped trying by the last day when she was clearly under the weather. It wasn't pleasant by any means, since she was 25 pounds and it was 90+ degrees. I front carried so I didn't have to take her in and out on rides. The Lillebaby carrier I have has a back support that makes a big difference.

We used a wet frogg togg occasionally between us or on her neck to help keep her a little cooler. We also had pocket sized misting fans to give a brief cool down.

I would plan to use the stroller when travelling longer distances and front wear when waiting in line or between close rides.

We wear our little guy in our Lillebaby Airflow (much cooler than any other carrier) and bring his stroller. It's nice for him and I to have the break - especially in the heat.

Actually, we went in September, so it was in the high 80s or even 90 on that trip if i remember correctly. She was also wearing a huge Cinderella dress the day i wore her the longest. I dont think she was super comfortable, but it definitely wasn't enough for her to wake up sooner than an hour or more. I dont think she was super comfy even when she wasn't being worn because it was hot and she had this huge dress on, but still, she loved it and wore it all day. So, i wouldn't probably say it was a huge concern and she was most comfortable that way because it was the carrier that she was most used to. I dont know that i would've worn her as much that trip except it was nice to be able to go into and out of shows without messing with the stroller. I will probably wear the baby more this time because she loves it and it works better for her than the stroller does so I would expect that she will spend a lot of this trip in the Moby. She never seems to have an issue in that either, even when its been hot and we have been outside all day, because she just likes the cuddles.
Thank you for all the info! I agree with what you said about the hassles of a stroller, which was why we were hoping to mostly wear her. Our first thought was the heat and her being shaded by the hiking backpack cover. I have a feeling we'll bring a bunch of options :)

Thank you for all the info! I agree with what you said about the hassles of a stroller, which was why we were hoping to mostly wear her. Our first thought was the heat and her being shaded by the hiking backpack cover. I have a feeling we'll bring a bunch of options :)

I can’t stress enough that taking a stroller isn’t a hassle. It’s really not. I was concerned before we did it, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. We will be taking the stroller again when we go this fall and our son is almost 3. If your hesitation about taking the stroller is that you think it will be a hassle...please don’t worry. It’s easier than you think!

We went to WDW when my youngest was 13 months and it was in November. I liked having both the stroller and a Lillebaby (similar to Ergo) I front carried her a lot, and she took naps every day in it, which meant that I could still ride rides my other children. Obviously I wasn't riding 7D mine train, but I kept her in the front carrier and could still ride all of the more calm rides while she napped, and we weren't pulling her in and out of the stroller when she needed to sleep.

We're going again this summer and she's 2 now, and I will be taking both the carrier and the stroller. Of course we could take turns holding her on our hips or my husband on his shoulders, but sometimes having more than one option mixes things up, especially with older babies and toddlers.

In November, we took our 4 year old and our 4 month old. We rented a double stroller and also brought the Lillebaby for the 4 month old. He probably spent more time in the Lillebaby than the stroller (so I could wear him in line and on rides and such) and the 4 year old had plenty of "I'm too big for a stroller!" moments and wanted to walk (which we did not argue with- she recognized her own limits and always had the option to sit down and ride when she got tired, which she took when she needed it). Even still, the stroller was the best thing ever. I'll be sad when I no longer have a kid young enough to justify a stroller! Kids (and adults, let's be honest) need a lot of stuff in a place like Disney- a diaper bag, snacks, souvenirs, just-in-case ponchos and sweaters and jackets, extra changes of clothes, water bottles, etc- and our stroller's primary function was not as Transporter of the Kids, but as Carrier of the STUFF. We rented from a company which dropped it off at our resort rather than renting in-park, and although people complain about getting them on and off transportation, it really was not hard at all. All that stuff was put into designated bags when it was time to get on transportation, the baby was put in the carrier, and the stroller easily collapsed by tugging the strap with one hand. Mom, Dad, and 4-year-old each had a bag to hold on to on the bus / boat ride, and when we disembarked, everything got plopped on/under the stroller again. I'm dreading the day when we have to take a trip and carry the bags ourselves :crazy2: (Yeah, I know older kids don't need diapers and wipes, but the rest of it is still a pretty good idea...)

I would feel weird about having my child on my back and not being able to see them. At least in the stroller I can look down to see that they were OK and not choking or something. But either way, a sun hat is a must. The sun is brutal down there even in October.

I would feel weird about having my child on my back and not being able to see them. At least in the stroller I can look down to see that they were OK and not choking or something. But either way, a sun hat is a must. The sun is brutal down there even in October.

In all fairness, as long as the child isn’t eating while being carried in a backpack carrier, they can’t choke. I don’t really think it’s much different than driving with the kid in a rear-facing car seat. And my stroller’s canopy is opaque - I can’t see my kid while I’m pushing it. I’m guessing that’s similar to many other stroller models.

I, personally, wasn’t/am not a fan of babywearing. I found it difficult physically beyond 8-9 months or so. But I don’t think it’s any less safe than using a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter