Disney Beach club resort or Disney Polynesian Resort in January?

Tammy A

Mouseketeer
My family is going to Disney 2nd week of January. We are getting 2 rooms. Everyone loves both the Poly and Beach club. We spend equal time at all the parks, maybe a bit more at Epcot due to the food. We are getting park hoppers. We don't want to do a split stay. Youngest son is 13, oldest child is 20. Based on experiences at these 2 resorts, which would you choose?

My family is going to Disney 2nd week of January. We are getting 2 rooms. Everyone loves both the Poly and Beach club. We spend equal time at all the parks, maybe a bit more at Epcot due to the food. We are getting park hoppers. We don't want to do a split stay. Youngest son is 13, oldest child is 20. Based on experiences at these 2 resorts, which would you choose?

My choice would be the Poly without hesitation, but we prefer the MK area over the Epcot area and while we had a nice stay at the BC, we found the BC just ok (but we LOVE the Poly).

I love both. I really like the new rooms at the Beach Club. I have read many complaints about how dated the Poly rooms are right now. That concerns me a bit. Are the buses an issue at either?

Hi! Sounds like a great trip coming up for you! I love both the Poly and the Epcot crescent lake area, although I have not stayed at the BC specifically. My suggestion is due to location not specific hotel. Seems you can't go wrong with either. You'll probably save some cash at the BC over the Poly. Epcot resorts seem to always have lower rack rates and discounts than Poly. If you enjoy Epcot "maybe a bit more at Epcot due to the food" I would stay Beach Club area so you can take advantage of hopping over to WS for all of the wonderful food. Much much easier this way if you spend a little extra time at Epcot. Also if you don't mind walking, there is no wait to walk to either EP or HS. Poly, while convenient on the monorail and boat system vs bus, does require a wait to go any place.

Last edited:

Buses are Buses they are hit and miss...
You can walk to the EPCOT monorail from the Poly. The transportation to both MK and EPCOT is very easy from the Poly. As far as HS the boat will take longer than the bus.. the Boat is Sloooooooow... AK... BC is closer so the ride will be shorter...
Depends on the theme you prefer and what you are willing to spend. BC will save you a fair amount over the Poly.
If I had a choice it would always be Poly... as far a Dining there is no shortage of great places to eat at the Poly, GF, CR and very easy to get to WL and the camp grounds for other great choices.

If you plan on spending a little more time in Epcot, then I would select either the YC/BC over Poly. We are DVC members at the BW and GF and I prefer the transportation more at the Epcot resort areas over MK. If you plan on eating dinner and watching the fireworks in Epcot, then you will get back to your room much quicker at the YC/BC over Poly. The walk to DHS is roughly 15-20 minutes. The bus ride to MK will be about 15 minutes and the ride to AK will be about 10-15 minutes. The BC/YC share a bus during most of the year now. It is not like in the old days when all the Epcot resorts shared buses. That was not a fun time!

Second week of January. You'll be there for Marathon time, Jan 9-13.

So Yacht Club and Beach Club share a bus? Does Poly share a bus with any other resort?

What made the BC just ok to you can I ask?

Nothing really specific, it just had more of a wow factor on my first visit than it did when we actually stayed there. I do think the BC is a nice resort and the first time we visited and ate at Cape May, my first reaction was that I had to stay there. Well, a couple years later we did just that and while we had a nice stay, I never got that "wow, I love this resort and can't wait to stay here again" feeling. The MK area is my favorite so the YC/BC isn't usually on my radar, but I will say after my first BWI stay this past June, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, even though it's in the Epcot area ;).

Nothing really specific, it just had more of a wow factor on my first visit than it did when we actually stayed there. I do think the BC is a nice resort and the first time we visited and ate at Cape May, my first reaction was that I had to stay there. Well, a couple years later we did just that and while we had a nice stay, I never got that "wow, I love this resort and can't wait to stay here again" feeling. The MK area is my favorite so the YC/BC isn't usually on my radar, but I will say after my first BWI stay this past June, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, even though it's in the Epcot area ;).

I get it. While it is an amazing resort...ok pool...it just doesn’t have that “there’s the castle” wow factor for me.

Will I stay here again in 5 long years from now? Yes but I will do a split again and end at the Poly. Maybe stay just for 2-4 nights.

Hmm. The Boardwalk inn. That’s a really pretty resort. I’ve always thought it might be a bit too “hustle and bustle” when the kids were younger but now, they would probably love all the activity on the boardwalk.

I’m having a tough time deciding.
The Beach Club is gorgeous with it’s beautiful lobby; love Cape May and Beaches and Cream. The rooms are beautiful however smaller than the poly and then to be able to walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk and then what is that wonderful smell at the Beach Club? It haunts me when I’m in Minnesota in the middle of a 30 degree below zero winter.
Then there’s the Poly; never been to Hawaii but I feel like this is the next best thing. To be right on the monerail and shoot over to Epcot or MK so quickly is awesome, especially convenient for rope drop. Probably our favorite quick service is Captn cooks. The rooms are more outdated and dark but large. To be able to watch the fireworks on the beach is magical. Lots of memories here for my entire family; playing in the quiet pool, eating at Ohana, shopping in Boutiqui. This is probably my boys favorite.

I get it. While it is an amazing resort...ok pool...it just doesn’t have that “there’s the castle” wow factor for me.

I know, it's hard to beat seeing the castle every day :cloud9:.

Will I stay here again in 5 long years from now? Yes but I will do a split again and end at the Poly. Maybe stay just for 2-4 nights.

Good idea ::yes::

Hmm. The Boardwalk inn. That’s a really pretty resort. I’ve always thought it might be a bit too “hustle and bustle” when the kids were younger but now, they would probably love all the activity on the boardwalk.

I think BWI is a very pretty resort! We stayed CL and it was great, but I think non-CL would be just as great as we loved the whole resort :goodvibes.

Then there’s the Poly; never been to Hawaii but I feel like this is the next best thing. To be right on the monerail and shoot over to Epcot or MK so quickly is awesome, especially convenient for rope drop. Probably our favorite quick service is Captn cooks. The rooms are more outdated and dark but large. To be able to watch the fireworks on the beach is magical. Lots of memories here for my entire family; playing in the quiet pool, eating at Ohana, shopping in Boutiqui. This is probably my boys favorite.

These are all the great things I love about the Poly, and Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS too ;).

These are all the great things I love about the Poly, and Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS too ;).

I retried pulled pork nachos. Last time we were there in 2013, I got them because of all the hype I read. I did not like them nor did dh but we ate them because it was our lunch or dinner.

So on 8/9/18, I got the, for lunch. The CM taking my order said I could order with something on the side so I put the pineapple salsa in the side. OMG...you could taste the yummy flavor of the pork, my dh even said the same thing! I got them again for lunch on the 11th before we left and got them with out the cheese as well. Still yummy and less cheese.

I also got the coconut meatballs or whatever they are called. I will admit I was scared. I was reading reviews online before I ordered them and they were all positive. I am so mad I only had them once! I almost got them “to go” on DME for dinner. I mean we were at the airport 5 hours before our flight. I could of eaten them while hanging out before we went thru TSA.

Mk is our favorite too, so Epcot resorts aren't top of my list but want to try them. What did you like about BWI? What about for kids?

I retried pulled pork nachos. Last time we were there in 2013, I got them because of all the hype I read. I did not like them nor did dh but we ate them because it was our lunch or dinner.

So on 8/9/18, I got the, for lunch. The CM taking my order said I could order with something on the side so I put the pineapple salsa in the side. OMG...you could taste the yummy flavor of the pork, my dh even said the same thing! I got them again for lunch on the 11th before we left and got them with out the cheese as well. Still yummy and less cheese.

I also got the coconut meatballs or whatever they are called. I will admit I was scared. I was reading reviews online before I ordered them and they were all positive. I am so mad I only had them once! I almost got them “to go” on DME for dinner. I mean we were at the airport 5 hours before our flight. I could of eaten them while hanging out before we went thru TSA.

I've never had the nachos, but I think I'll have to try them in October as they sound good! I'm not familiar with the meatballs, but might look into those as well.....thanks :goodvibes.

Mk is our favorite too, so Epcot resorts aren't top of my list but want to try them. What did you like about BWI? What about for kids?

I found everything about BWI great! I was on a girls trip when I stayed there so no kids (plus my 2 are in their mid 20s...lol), but I think BWI is a good option for kids (as is any Disney resort, IMO). The pool is fun as is the entertainment on the boardwalk. We stayed CL (which was amazing), but even without CL, I think BWI would be great. It's just a pretty resort with a lot of things going on around it. I especially loved walking on the boardwalk and taking in the beautiful surroundings :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter