Disney Bus Driver Training?

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
We were just back from the world and I am wondering about this. Only because of an incident that happened at the MK. Our driver, who was a pleasant lady, was being "directed" by another driver who was standing outside , how to pull away from the curb at the MK. She kept saying, I got it, I got it, etc. On the way back to the resort several times she didnt turn off the inside lights, kept braking the bus way, way too much. Even the men who were standing were having a hard time holding on. I am just wondering what kind of training does Disney give them? Even if they have a CDL license etc. does Disney require them to pass a test etc?

Going by PA's laws, you'd need a CDL class B (the buses are small, don't believe they'd require a class A) with passenger endorsement and possible air brake endorsement.

To get the licenses you must pass a written and road test.

My DH is a steelworker, has Class A w/all endorsements and drives coils between local mills...and he had to have a college degree to get the job;) . Don't make the mistake that drivers are dummies.:thumbsup2

fyi, many of their force are retired NYC metro drivers...tons of experience. If nothing else, Disney is big on CYA issues...if she continues to be a problem; i'm sure a guest will bring it to the proper attention. Does sound like you had a scary experience.

that was before all the other places start stealing bus drivers fromWDW.

anyway WDW has a bunch of new drivers. the older drivers are retiring. some of the new ones don't know alot about Disney. Give her a few months.

Disney lately hired some drivers at a fair.

Mears told me that training took 2 months. but WDW drivers say that their trainning was weeks not months.

WDW does not require the commerical license and will help you get one.

Does anyone know where to apply for wdw driver training prigram?
You don't apply for training; you apply for the role, and if you're hired, you get trained. Disney's job site is disneycareers.com.

I started driving for Disney 9 years ago with no prior driving experience. If my memory serves, there were about 2 weeks of driving instruction - basically, how to drive a bus and do it safely - followed by a road test, and then I think 3 or 4 weeks of learning about driving specifically at Disney -- procedures, radio & computer use, how to get around the property, learning how to navigate within the various resorts and hubs, loading, unloading, and dealing with Guests, etc.

The training process morphed several times before I retired. When I started, I had to be able to do all the routes at any time, but at times while I was there, they were putting drivers on the road after they were trained for just a subset of hubs & routes. I don't know what the exact procedure is now.

I can say that Disney historically has had a hard time getting and keeping enough drivers to meet their needs. Part of that is finding prospective drivers who meet the DOT's strict requirements on health and driving record. Another part is because drivers bid for their schedules by seniority, so new drivers usually get very unfavorable schedules, often alternating between morning and night shifts from week to week, sometimes even within the same week. So a fair number of drivers bail within the first few months.

While I had large vehicle driving experience, I had never drove a bus. I was a call firefighter for 20 years and could drive anything we had in the barn. It really didn't matter but may have helped getting cast relatively quick.

When I started at Disney, back in 2006, you were trained to take the CDL Class B test with passenger and air brake endorsements. I had two weeks (the Class A CDL drivers in our class only had 1 week but still had to take the DOT CDL test) of full time, 8-5 training with a trainer. We learned how to drive, how to circle check a bus, CDL passenger transport specific laws and lots of behind the wheel time to make sure we were doing it correctly and safely. We had a dedicated training area at what is now AoA where we would train on the scenario's of the DOT CDL driving test (ever try to parallel park a 40' bus?). Once we passed the DOT CDL test, we then had hub training. That was 3-4 weeks at a hub (which is a park or DTD at the time) Once we "mastered" a hub, we worked that hub for the remainder of that 3-4 week period solo. Then we were rotated to another hub. So in total, there was almost 6 months of training to be fully "certified" to drive anywhere on property.

MK covered MK routes, the Fort, parade bus and the MK cast shuttles, Studios covered just Studio's routes. Epcot did Epcot routes, the extra for the Coronado-BB route, and the case shuttle. AK was busy, you did the AK resorts/BB, cast shuttle, parade bus, BB closing and WOS shuttle. DTD did DTD and TL but at that time we has both Marketplace and PI stops. During my 5 years there I started with the crap shifts and just before I left, I had a pretty choice DTD schedule. I was a CR so I didn't even bother to bid and still ended up with decent schedules once I paid my dues as a junior driver.

I had some great vantage points for special fireworks, and worked for and with some great people. Did special events like Grad Nights, NOJ, (although NOJ at MK in the bus info booth is a never again moment) and the Children's Miracle Network golf shuttle to SOG.

I would go back in a heartbeat (once retired) to driving despite MIMs. I really enjoyed the interaction with guests.

I applied to be a transportation CM at a job fair Disney attended at the Central Florida Fairgrounds, had a quick interview and was called by casting maybe 2 weeks later for a final interview and a "No Crap" expectation of what hours would be like, etc. I had talked to a couple of drivers before hand and knew that while I was out of work, this would be a good job.

Last edited:
We were just back from the world and I am wondering about this. Only because of an incident that happened at the MK. Our driver, who was a pleasant lady, was being "directed" by another driver who was standing outside , how to pull away from the curb at the MK. She kept saying, I got it, I got it, etc. On the way back to the resort several times she didnt turn off the inside lights, kept braking the bus way, way too much. Even the men who were standing were having a hard time holding on. I am just wondering what kind of training does Disney give them? Even if they have a CDL license etc. does Disney require them to pass a test etc?

Everyone must start sometime

This driver just might be " The Best " driver within 6 months........

Wow, a zombie thread from 2007!!!

We are going to Disney on Monday. Looking forward to riding the buses. Sometimes I ask for the ramp and the drivers are really nice. Usually we just fold up my wheelchair and dh pushes it on.

Oh and one of my relatives is now a disney bus driver, or at least the last I heard from his mom about 2 years ago.

I hate to bring this thread back sorry Mods/Admin, So I had the phone interview and they want me to transfer my IL Class A CDL, that includes my air brake , double/triples, and tank endorsments before they move forward any more. Even if I do all I was told I would be moved to a wait list. Now I currently can not just do this because well I am in IL and the time to take off just to fly down to exchange my CDL is going to be costly. Can anyone explain what this waitlist is all about and the timeline behind it?

I hate to bring this thread back sorry Mods/Admin, So I had the phone interview and they want me to transfer my IL Class A CDL, that includes my air brake , double/triples, and tank endorsments before they move forward any more. Even if I do all I was told I would be moved to a wait list. Now I currently can not just do this because well I am in IL and the time to take off just to fly down to exchange my CDL is going to be costly. Can anyone explain what this waitlist is all about and the timeline behind it?
I'm in bus driver training, as we speak. They just wait list you until all of your checks come back (background, drug screen, motor vehicle and dot physical). Once they're all done, you'll get your official job offer and a start date. Figure 6 weeks for everything to come back.

A zombie thread, three times a charm.
Figure 6 weeks for everything to come back.
Six weeks, that seems like a long time.

It's been many years since I became a driver but I was hired on the spot at Central Casting and began CM orientation and later, bus driver training, within days. Sounds like things move a lot slower now.

While I had large vehicle driving experience, I had never drove a bus. I was a call firefighter for 20 years and could drive anything we had in the barn. It really didn't matter but may have helped getting cast relatively quick.

When I started at Disney, back in 2006, you were trained to take the CDL Class B test with passenger and air brake endorsements. I had two weeks (the Class A CDL drivers in our class only had 1 week but still had to take the DOT CDL test) of full time, 8-5 training with a trainer. We learned how to drive, how to circle check a bus, CDL passenger transport specific laws and lots of behind the wheel time to make sure we were doing it correctly and safely. We had a dedicated training area at what is now AoA where we would train on the scenario's of the DOT CDL driving test (ever try to parallel park a 40' bus?). Once we passed the DOT CDL test, we then had hub training. That was 3-4 weeks at a hub (which is a park or DTD at the time) Once we "mastered" a hub, we worked that hub for the remainder of that 3-4 week period solo. Then we were rotated to another hub. So in total, there was almost 6 months of training to be fully "certified" to drive anywhere on property.

MK covered MK routes, the Fort, parade bus and the MK cast shuttles, Studios covered just Studio's routes. Epcot did Epcot routes, the extra for the Coronado-BB route, and the case shuttle. AK was busy, you did the AK resorts/BB, cast shuttle, parade bus, BB closing and WOS shuttle. DTD did DTD and TL but at that time we has both Marketplace and PI stops. During my 5 years there I started with the crap shifts and just before I left, I had a pretty choice DTD schedule. I was a CR so I didn

MK covered MK routes, the Fort, parade bus and the MK cast shuttles, Studios covered just Studio's routes. Epcot did Epcot routes, the extra for the Coronado-BB route, and the case shuttle. AK was busy, you did the AK resorts/BB, cast shuttle, parade bus, BB closing and WOS shuttle. DTD did DTD and TL but at that time we has both Marketplace and PI stops. During my 5 years there I started with the crap shifts and just before I left, I had a pretty choice DTD schedule. I was a CR so I didn't even bother to bid and still ended up with decent schedules once I paid my dues as a junior driver.

I had some great vantage points for special fireworks, and worked for and with some great people. Did special events like Grad Nights, NOJ, (although NOJ at MK in the bus info booth is a never again moment) and the Children's Miracle Network golf shuttle to SOG.

I would go back in a heartbeat (once retired) to driving despite MIMs. I really enjoyed the interaction with guests.

I applied to be a transportation CM at a job fair Disney attended at the Central Florida Fairgrounds, had a quick interview and was called by casting maybe 2 weeks later for a final interview and a "No Crap" expectation of what hours would be like, etc. I had talked to a couple of drivers before hand and knew that while I was out of work, this would be a good job.
Back in the early 1980s as part of the ny state road test I had to parallel park a bus. I only did it then and never have since. This was before the cdl.

One thing Disney can do is if they help you get your cdl is have a contract that says you work for us for a set period of time. If you leave for whatever reason you need to pay us x amount of dollars for the training.

I heard that Disney gets a tax break if they do a certain number of DOT road tests...which is why they are always hiring. I know people who have gotten their CDL class B's and left immediately after as they had a pending job with Mears, as Mears accepts tips, and have no problem working up to that DOT hour limit. As for the hard braking, when I was there, the Nova (curved front windshield) was the worst to drive. Bus leaked in the rain, and had THE WORST retarder on it. Whenever the driver would take their foot off the gas, that retarder kicks in, and on some would kick in hard! That is usually what tosses guests around, and usually the number one complaint. Always hated those buses.

And I would love to see them require a time period, maybe they would get better quality drivers.

A zombie thread, three times a charm.
Six weeks, that seems like a long time.

It's been many years since I became a driver but I was hired on the spot at Central Casting and began CM orientation and later, bus driver training, within days. Sounds like things move a lot slower now.
I'm a returning driver. My first go round was much quicker. Now, they send you for one thing, wait for the results, then schedule the next. They're hiring like crazy in anticipation of Star Wars opening.

One thing Disney can do is if they help you get your cdl is have a contract that says you work for us for a set period of time. If you leave for whatever reason you need to pay us x amount of dollars for the training.
Knowing that if they don't make it through, that they'll have to pay Disney thousands of dollars may scare prospective drivers away. Disney plays the odds and most of the drivers do last a few years. Just about everyone that came in with me is still there and we're talking over a decade.

I heard that Disney gets a tax break if they do a certain number of DOT road tests...which is why they are always hiring. I know people who have gotten their CDL class B's and left immediately after as they had a pending job with Mears, as Mears accepts tips, and have no problem working up to that DOT hour limit. As for the hard braking, when I was there, the Nova (curved front windshield) was the worst to drive. Bus leaked in the rain, and had THE WORST retarder on it. Whenever the driver would take their foot off the gas, that retarder kicks in, and on some would kick in hard! That is usually what tosses guests around, and usually the number one complaint. Always hated those buses.

And I would love to see them require a time period, maybe they would get better quality drivers.
I never had an issue getting hours if I wanted them. There were always hours available on the shift exchange.

I actually liked driving the Nova. I didn't like the RTS mainly because the window arrangement for the driver got hot fast and the AC couldn't keep up. I didn't mind the Gilligs but just liked the Nova better.

The 5 new Nova's that they got in late 2010 (these were part of the settlement between WDW and Novabus for bus fires) were actually very nice.

Somehow, I don't think requiring that someone stay x amount of time will make better drivers. IMHO, you either want to work there or you don't. You might find out quickly that guest interaction is not your thing and to require someone to commit to x period of time will make for just a bad overall experience for all concerned.

If you want to be a cast member and enjoy the job, you will do your best. If you don't, you won't. I thought then and still do that it was one of the best jobs I ever had. If things were still the same there, I would go back in a heartbeat (if money was no object), but sadly, it's not the same. It still might be a good job and if I was retired, I might see whats up with it now but MIM's spoiled the fun I used to have with the guests.

Last edited:
I actually liked driving the Nova. I didn't like the RTS mainly because the window arrangement for the driver got hot fast and the AC couldn't keep up. I didn't mind the Gilligs but just liked the Nova better.

The 5 new Nova's that they got in late 2010 (these were part of the settlement between WDW and Novabus for bus fires) were actually very nice.

The Super Nova's (5000-5009) were by far the best ones. I I never had an issue getting hours if I wanted them. There were always hours available on the shift exchange.would have driven those all dang day if I could. If Disney replaced their Nova fleet with those, that would be except able.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter