Disney Bus Driver Training?

I never had an issue getting hours if I wanted them. There were always hours available on the shift exchange.

I actually liked driving the Nova. I didn't like the RTS mainly because the window arrangement for the driver got hot fast and the AC couldn't keep up. I didn't mind the Gilligs but just liked the Nova better.

The 5 new Nova's that they got in late 2010 (these were part of the settlement between WDW and Novabus for bus fires) were actually very nice.

Somehow, I don't think requiring that someone stay x amount of time will make better drivers. IMHO, you either want to work there or you don't. You might find out quickly that guest interaction is not your thing and to require someone to commit to x period of time will make for just a bad overall experience for all concerned.

If you want to be a cast member and enjoy the job, you will do your best. If you don't, you won't. I thought then and still do that it was one of the best jobs I ever had. If things were still the same there, I would go back in a heartbeat (if money was no object), but sadly, it's not the same. It still might be a good job and if I was retired, I might see whats up with it now but MIM's spoiled the fun I used to have with the guests.
Sorry for a stupid question but what is MIMs?

MIM's is the Magic in Motion system. It's the computer on the bus that plays the music and park announcements and tells the driver where to go. It also tracks by GPS the buses back in the control center. The tracking is supposed to be able to reroute the closest bus to a location in need and allows the time boards to be updated with current info. The system took away a lot of the personal touch from drivers who wanted to interact with their guests.

MIM's is the Magic in Motion system. It's the computer on the bus that plays the music and park announcements and tells the driver where to go. It also tracks by GPS the buses back in the control center. The tracking is supposed to be able to reroute the closest bus to a location in need and allows the time boards to be updated with current info. The system took away a lot of the personal touch from drivers who wanted to interact with their guests.
Thank You for the description

One thing Disney can do is if they help you get your cdl is have a contract that says you work for us for a set period of time. If you leave for whatever reason you need to pay us x amount of dollars for the training.
They should make their prospective bus drivers indentured servants? Um, no.

They should make their prospective bus drivers indentured servants? Um, no.

The policy of making employees pay back their "free" training is common. Usually it's only if you leave the company before a set time ( 2 years, 3 years from completion of training). It's actually a reasonable employment stipulation. Why would Disney spend $ to train a driver, then have them leave 2 months later to work for a competitor?

Why would Disney spend $ to train a driver, then have them leave 2 months later to work for a competitor?
And yet that's exactly what they've been doing for at least a decade. I took advantage of it, but I stayed.
I also don't think Mears is in competition with Disney. They have a business arrangement where Mears provides Disney with most of the DME and DCL bus service.

Nice to hear from you again!!! Miss seeing you around here. And I agree, MIM has made rides very impersonal. Some drivers are able to still go above and beyond, but those are exceptional drivers. Most drivers seldom open their mouths anymore!!!
Hope all is well with you!!

Nice to hear from you again!!! Miss seeing you around here.
Oh sure, go gaga over Cranbiz while Joelkfla and I, aka MxxxxBxs, are relegated to chopped liver. Just kidding, good to hear from Cranbiz.
Some drivers are able to still go above and beyond, but those are exceptional drivers. Most drivers seldom open their mouths anymore!!!
That's mainly due to the fact that verbally interacting with passengers while the bus is in motion is considered distracted driving and is discouraged. Gone are the days when some drivers practically did a stand-up routine while going down World Dr. I think the surveillance cameras mounted on and in the bus has inhibited most drivers. "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille."

Oh sure, go gaga over Cranbiz while Joelkfla and I, aka MxxxxBxs, are relegated to chopped liver. Just kidding, good to hear from Cranbiz.
That's mainly due to the fact that verbally interacting with passengers while the bus is in motion is considered distracted driving and is discouraged. Gone are the days when some drivers practically did a stand-up routine while going down World Dr. I think the surveillance cameras mounted on and in the bus has inhibited most drivers. "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille."
You just shush now!!!😂

I hang out mostly in the Rumors and News section. Too many things have changed in the state and at the parks since I left there for me to contribute much in this section anymore. I still lurk here though.

I hang out mostly in the Rumors and News section. Too many things have changed in the state and at the parks since I left there for me to contribute much in this section anymore. I still lurk here though.
I know what you mean. I'm always afraid I'll give outdated info if I get into too much detail.

Here is a question, do they actually run your credit report? I heard you need to have decent credit, if so I may stop the process and work on the job offer I have up here as a semi driver and at least get some more things in line before reapplying

We rode a training bus yesterday from Pop to Studios. A couple had ecv’s and they got off them and walked up the ramp. The driver in training had to push them up the ramp and secure them himself and he did it pretty quickly. I was just so surprised to see the couple leave the scooters for the driver to load. Never saw that before. Usually the people at least drive up into the bus before getting help from the driver with positioning. Anyway he did a fine job driving us to the park (short trip but smooth driving). We never rode on a bus that had Earning my ears on the sign before lol

Here is a question, do they actually run your credit report? I heard you need to have decent credit, if so I may stop the process and work on the job offer I have up here as a semi driver and at least get some more things in line before reapplying

They run a background check, not a credit check (at least when I was a CM). I probably wouldn't have been hired if they ran my credit back then. Those were hard times for me.

We rode a training bus yesterday from Pop to Studios. A couple had ecv’s and they got off them and walked up the ramp. The driver in training had to push them up the ramp and secure them himself and he did it pretty quickly. I was just so surprised to see the couple leave the scooters for the driver to load. Never saw that before. Usually the people at least drive up into the bus before getting help from the driver with positioning. Anyway he did a fine job driving us to the park (short trip but smooth driving). We never rode on a bus that had Earning my ears on the sign before lol

ECV riders were always asked to transfer, most of them don't. I had several during my tenure there that I ended up parking because the guests were willing to transfer into a seat.

They run a background check, not a credit check (at least when I was a CM). I probably wouldn't have been hired if they ran my credit back then. Those were hard times for me.

ECV riders were always asked to transfer, most of them don't. I had several during my tenure there that I ended up parking because the guests were willing to transfer into a seat.

In the past most transferred. I have noticed now they almost never do. This couple got off their ecv’s and walked up the ramp. After the driver put the ecv’s on the bus and locked them in the couple sat on them (I assume the driver then belted them in on the ecv’s but didn’t really look.

I was just so surprised to see the couple leave the scooters for the driver to load.
I never did that.
Usually the people at least drive up into the bus before getting help from the driver with positioning.
But I did do that.
In the past most transferred. I have noticed now they almost never do.
During my service, we were instructed to strongly encourage Guests on ECVs to transfer for safety reasons, if they could. Most did.

I never did that.
But I did do that.
During my service, we were instructed to strongly encourage Guests on ECVs to transfer for safety reasons, if they could. Most did.

Yes I think most drivers do it like you did Fastpasser. How is retirement going?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter