Disney Buses & ECVs - technical question (?)

Poohs Wishing Star

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I have a question to ask about Disney buses and ECV's. I have not seen this problem addressed previously, and I hope that I can explain this in a way that the question is understood.

When I travel to Walt Disney World, I use an ECV (Disney park issued) when I am in any of the parks. However, when I stay at any of the on-site hotels, I walk from the room to the bus to the park entrance and use the ECV, and upon returning to the hotel at night, I reverse the process.

I realize that I am missing out on much of the fun and the sights because the walking (even though it is relatively little) is wearing on my bones and nerves and causing pain and discomfort. So, this trip, I want to rent an ECV from an off-property company for my entire trip.

However, I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to backing up an ECV in a straight line, especially when "the eyes of the world" are watching. I am presuming that I would have an extremely difficult time backing the ECV onto a Disney bus. (I do not drive a car in real life, so no one has to worry about meeting me on a street.)

Is it possible to dis-engage the wheels, power, or whatever to push the ECV onto the bus, rather than "drive" the ECV onto the bus? On my last trip to Walt Disney World (December 2003), on the bus from EPCOT to one of the All-Star Resorts, I saw an older couple push their electric wheelchairs onto the bus. Is it possible to do this with an ECV, also?

If this cannot be done, does anyone have any suggestions for someone whose brain does not allow one to comprehend driving an ECV in reverse and onto a bus.

Thank you for any help and/or advice that you can give.

RJ (Pooh's Wishing Star)

Yes you can disengage the wheels and push it onto the bus but it only takes a couple of times and you learn to reverse and back the ECV up onto the lift. It is not that hard.

You can push it in, but as Talking Hands mentioned, after you drive it in a few times, it will be more comfortable.
You can practice at your resort a bit to get more comfortable. People also report that the ones rented from outside medical equipment companies are easier to drive than the larger ones you rent in the parks.
If there are other people in your party, maybe one of them would be comfortabel driving it in - we see that a lot.

As the others have said you can push it .The drivers are very helpful. The three wheel ECVs are much easier to drive than the park ECVs. Whatever direction the front wheel is pointed is the way you go. So to back up straight you hold the front wheel steady. I'm sure after a few tries you'll do fine. PD for a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter