Disney Channel in 1980s and 1990s

Stephen22

Earning My Ears
Do you have any good memories of the Disney Channel before it became a channel for teen sitcoms?

I found out the Disney Channel on back in the day was offering a new Price on Comcast,which was 7.99?

Do you have any good memories of Disney Nighttime or Vault Disney?

I hear ya! I miss the old Disney Channel too. Some of the movies like Ollie Hopnoodles Haven of Bliss (or something like that) and some of the other original movies. They even used to have a time for the classic cartoons. But yeah, I agree. It has become a wasteland of teen sitcoms (which aren't even funny) and lame movies (like High School Musical). Maybe I'm just an old sentimental fart but I miss that stuff. Hopefully Disney+ won't screw it up and fall into the pit they're in now.

I was worth the price back then. They had classic cartoons, Mickey Mouse Club with the serials, serials like Zorro, children's programs, weekly program from WDW, and movies both live action and animation from the vault that weren't remakes. When it stopped being a pay channel going to free with multiple channel versions, the quality suffered. Use to be these programs were 24/7, then dwindled down to late night before disappearing altogether. I don't even watch it anymore.

Last edited:

Thank goodness for Roy E Disney back in 2000. He was instrumental in getting a lot of those type of movies released to DVD. Gnome Mobile, One and Only Original Family Band, Bon Voyage, Ugly Dachshund, Charley and the Angel, LT Robin Crusoe, Monkey's Uncle, Follow Me Boys, etc... It is too bad that the Disney Movie Club does not release more of these type of films to DVD instead of the gem of the month editions of Cinderella (how many times do they expect you to buy the same film?). Couple of the last ones I ordered were Sammy the Way Out Seal and Escapade in Florence with Annette and Tommy Kirk. Those were also the type of movies you could find on the early Disney Channel as well.

Last edited:

Thank goodness for Roy E Disney back in 2000. He was instrumental in getting a lot of those type of movies released to DVD. Gnome Mobile, One and Only Original Family Band, Bon Voyage, Ugly Dachshund, Charley and the Angel, LT Robin Crusoe, Monkey's Uncle, Follow Me Boys, etc... It is too bad that the Disney Movie Club does not release more of these type of films to DVD instead of the gem of the month editions of Cinderella (how many times do they expect you to buy the same film?). Couple of the last ones I ordered were Sammy the Way Out Seal and Escapade in Florence with Annette and Tommy Kirk. Those were also the type of movies you could find on the early Disney Channel as well.
I just got Sammy too not too long ago along with The Boy Who Stole the Elephant, Call it Courage, The Monkey's Uncle...I could go on and on but I won't. I'd love to see the Disney Movie Club put out more of those.

I grew up on the Disney Channel of the 80s and 90s. The programming that my kids watch today sucks. It's not funny, and the laugh tracks are over used. Lots of rude kids. Not saying that what we had back in the day was perfect, but there were more family shows. It wasn't all forced comedy. Although the show our family really likes is sadly coming to an end, Andi Mack.

I'd love to see a return of Vault Disney with classic programming nightly. More classic Mickey cartoons. 80s cartoons as well- think Disney Afternoon. IMO there's only one Ducktails, and it's not what's running on Disney XD.

While at it, bring back Wonderful World of Disney weekly. There's a lot of great episodes that they ran that could still be aired today. Or create something new, just have quality.

I grew up on the Disney Channel of the 80s and 90s. The programming that my kids watch today sucks. It's not funny, and the laugh tracks are over used. Lots of rude kids. Not saying that what we had back in the day was perfect, but there were more family shows. It wasn't all forced comedy. Although the show our family really likes is sadly coming to an end, Andi Mack.

I'd love to see a return of Vault Disney with classic programming nightly. More classic Mickey cartoons. 80s cartoons as well- think Disney Afternoon. IMO there's only one Ducktails, and it's not what's running on Disney XD.

While at it, bring back Wonderful World of Disney weekly. There's a lot of great episodes that they ran that could still be aired today. Or create something new, just have quality.

I have not really watched Andi Mack, but every time I see bits and pieces of it I am struck by the quality. That seems like it was a very ambitious show! Hopefully they can continue to do more work in that vein. I do not really like a lot of the live-action programming on Disney Channel, but a lot of the animation is top-notch. I really like the new DuckTales. Big Hero 6, Tangled, Big City Greens, and Star Wars Resistance are also all very good.

I have not really watched Andi Mack, but every time I see bits and pieces of it I am struck by the quality. That seems like it was a very ambitious show! Hopefully they can continue to do more work in that vein. I do not really like a lot of the live-action programming on Disney Channel, but a lot of the animation is top-notch. I really like the new DuckTales. Big Hero 6, Tangled, Big City Greens, and Star Wars Resistance are also all very good.

I believe that it was written or produced by the same person who did Lizzie McGuire (another decent family show). As a parent what I liked about it was that it featured non-traditional parents. Plus the show addressed issues with housing and financial insecurities, anxiety, academic struggles/learning disabilities, and had a main character who came out as gay. Sure things were wrapped up in 25 minutes, and the friends accepted each other, but each of the topics was tackled in a sensitive way that youth could understand.

Wow! My thoughts EXACTLY! Rude, disrespectful kids seem to be the norm on today's tv shows. And I agree about Ducktales. I enjoy the old ones but hate the new ones. In the original the animation was better, the voices for the boys were better, and they weren't the smartasses that I've seen in the few bits I've watched. And yes, the sitcoms I've seen on the Dis channel are lame and insult the intelligence of the kids. So I agree with all you said and could not have said it better myself. Thanks for reaffirming my point of view.

Wow! My thoughts EXACTLY! Rude, disrespectful kids seem to be the norm on today's tv shows. And I agree about Ducktales. I enjoy the old ones but hate the new ones. In the original the animation was better, the voices for the boys were better, and they weren't the smartasses that I've seen in the few bits I've watched. And yes, the sitcoms I've seen on the Dis channel are lame and insult the intelligence of the kids. So I agree with all you said and could not have said it better myself. Thanks for reaffirming my point of view.

I dunno, I like the new DuckTales - it's different sure, but it's punchy and the show has a great reverence for the old Disney Afternoon shows. Only Louie is the rude one, Huey is the responsible one, Dewey is the adventurous one. I can remember classic Disney stuff where Huey, Dewey, & Louie were little trouble makers. It's not out of line really. I don't like their takes on some of the side characters, but for the main ones I am pretty happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!