Disney Channel no longer Disney Channel?

My main grudge with XD is that it replaced Toon Disney. Some of the shows are pointless, some decent. What they should really do is rename XD to "Teen Disney" and show the current XD and DC shows on it. We will then have:

Disney Channel - Classic Disney and new family oriented programming.
Teen Disney - All of the current DC and XD shows
Disney Junior - Current DJ programming

If they are really interested in these new teen shows they could make a block on DC like this:

6:00-12:00 - Disney Junior
12:00-4:00 - Teen Disney

My main grudge with XD is that it replaced Toon Disney. Some of the shows are pointless, some decent. What they should really do is rename XD to "Teen Disney" and show the current XD and DC shows on it. We will then have:

Disney Channel - Classic Disney and new family oriented programming.
Teen Disney - All of the current DC and XD shows
Disney Junior - Current DJ programming

If they are really interested in these new teen shows they could make a block on DC like this:

6:00-12:00 - Disney Junior
12:00-4:00 - Teen Disney

The problem with that idea is that XD is not a standard channel. It is an "upgraded package" kind of channel. And whether the fanatics on the internet like it or not, the current shows on Disney Channel ARE the money makers. I was in Payless shoes this weekend, and every little girl in line had a pair of "Shake It Up" shoes.
And running the tween shows from 12-4...when that particular age group is still in school? :confused3
It would make no sense to move the cash cow shows to a non standard channel, or to less than prime viewing times.. What would make a little more sense is to change XD to the "Disney Classic" or some other such nonsense, or even to kill the ABC Family channel for that purpose. It is the LEAST family friendly network on TV right now. Unless "family" is a code word for your underage brothel.

The problem with that idea is that XD is not a standard channel. It is an "upgraded package" kind of channel. And whether the fanatics on the internet like it or not, the current shows on Disney Channel ARE the money makers. I was in Payless shoes this weekend, and every little girl in line had a pair of "Shake It Up" shoes.
And running the tween shows from 12-4...when that particular age group is still in school? :confused3
It would make no sense to move the cash cow shows to a non standard channel, or to less than prime viewing times.. What would make a little more sense is to change XD to the "Disney Classic" or some other such nonsense, or even to kill the ABC Family channel for that purpose. It is the LEAST family friendly network on TV right now. Unless "family" is a code word for your underage brothel.
Right, that's the point! Get these kids off of all this teen garbage and back to "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", "Disneyland", "Mickey Mouse Club" and "Wonderful World of Disney" I mean MANY people have that extended service with XD and if they really need to extend the Teen Disney block to 5/5:30. The main point is to have the classic content on prime-time and all day on weekends.

Right, that's the point! Get these kids off of all this teen garbage and back to "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", "Disneyland", "Mickey Mouse Club" and "Wonderful World of Disney" I mean MANY people have that extended service with XD and if they really need to extend the Teen Disney block to 5/5:30. The main point is to have the classic content on prime-time and all day on weekends.

The bolded sentence... I have no idea what you mean, sorry.
You don't seem to understand how network scheduling works. :confused3
Networks put the highest rated shows on in the prime viewing times to enable them to charge a premium for advertising during that time slot because advertisers want their commercials to be seen by the largest audience possible. Playing reruns "classic" content during prime time makes no sense. That kind is why there are niche networks.

You can't just take off the popular shows and put on reruns of 50 year old programming and expect kids to watch it. Unlike when the Mickey Mouse Club originally aired kids today can change the channel. And most likely they would. What entertained their grandparents doesn't entertain them.

And further, it isn't the job of the network to sacrifice their economical viability to fill a niche that so small a segment of the population wants filled. If it is important to you (the general you) that your family watch those programs, buy the dvd.

Lastly, as a parent I think the current lineup of Disney channel shows comes pretty close to Walt's manifesto of "parents and children having fun together." There are so few programs on the air that we can watch as a family- that are appropriate for the kids, and interesting to them, and not too dumb or "armpi humor" for me. Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls are the ONLY cartoons that I, as the parent, will watch and actually enjoy. There are NO sitcoms on the big 4 networks that we can watch together. Disney Channel's lineup of sitcoms is the only equivalent of the old TGIF block of family viewing from my childhood.

The bolded sentence... I have no idea what you mean, sorry.
You don't seem to understand how network scheduling works. :confused3
Networks put the highest rated shows on in the prime viewing times to enable them to charge a premium for advertising during that time slot because advertisers want their commercials to be seen by the largest audience possible. Playing reruns "classic" content during prime time makes no sense. That kind is why there are niche networks.

You can't just take off the popular shows and put on reruns of 50 year old programming and expect kids to watch it. Unlike when the Mickey Mouse Club originally aired kids today can change the channel. And most likely they would. What entertained their grandparents doesn't entertain them.

And further, it isn't the job of the network to sacrifice their economical viability to fill a niche that so small a segment of the population wants filled. If it is important to you (the general you) that your family watch those programs, buy the dvd.

Lastly, as a parent I think the current lineup of Disney channel shows comes pretty close to Walt's manifesto of "parents and children having fun together." There are so few programs on the air that we can watch as a family- that are appropriate for the kids, and interesting to them, and not too dumb or "armpi humor" for me. Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls are the ONLY cartoons that I, as the parent, will watch and actually enjoy. There are NO sitcoms on the big 4 networks that we can watch together. Disney Channel's lineup of sitcoms is the only equivalent of the old TGIF block of family viewing from my childhood.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 and :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter