Disney College Program

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
My daughter is supposed to start the hospitality program at our community college this summer and the main reason for her applying was to do the 6 month Disney College Program/Internship. They apply to Disney in December and would then go there to work from July 2021 - December 2021 (fingers crossed). Just was wondering if there is anyone here familiar with (or have children) that have done this program?

Well. My DD was supposed to do the summer program this year starting May 10. Obviously, that was cancelled. But they waited until after making them pay the deposit for rent, and visa costs in April before the cancel! We did receive the rent deposit back — but the health insurance they made them pay has not been returned and that company is wiping their hands of it. With travel for interviews, school forms, police checks, and visa — all non refundable, it’s been an expensive cancellation. She was devastated. They just said sorry, cancelled, reapply next year. I wish they offered to hold them a spot.

She‘s going to apply again. It’s her dream. However, we have no idea what will happen with WDW — when borders will open, if WDW decides to bring back internationals, and how they handle housing. If quarantine times are required, they might not bother.

I know none of this helps your situation — I just want to warn you that everything is up in the air for awhile. Make sure she’s flexible in her expectations.

My son did it last year, what would you like to know ?

Well. My DD was supposed to do the summer program this year starting May 10. Obviously, that was cancelled. But they waited until after making them pay the deposit for rent, and visa costs in April before the cancel! We did receive the rent deposit back — but the health insurance they made them pay has not been returned and that company is wiping their hands of it. With travel for interviews, school forms, police checks, and visa — all non refundable, it’s been an expensive cancellation. She was devastated. They just said sorry, cancelled, reapply next year. I wish they offered to hold them a spot.

She‘s going to apply again. It’s her dream. However, we have no idea what will happen with WDW — when borders will open, if WDW decides to bring back internationals, and how they handle housing. If quarantine times are required, they might not bother.

I know none of this helps your situation — I just want to warn you that everything is up in the air for awhile. Make sure she’s flexible in her expectations.
I'm curious to know what the costs (rent deposit, visa etc.) are? My DD was going to apply to go this summer but decided to wait a year. We were discussing it just yesterday...she's done lots of research but doesn't know what the costs are.

There must be a few different programs? The one she was going to do was called the Disney International Program, and her actual third semester is working at Disney (she completes her first 2 semesters here, does the 3rd one there, comes back at Christmas and then completes her 4th semester here.) With all the uncertainty we're thinking that maybe she should do the one year event planning program first and then the 2 year hospitality program starting in 2021 (and Disney the summer of 2022)?

There must be a few different programs? The one she was going to do was called the Disney International Program, and her actual third semester is working at Disney (she completes her first 2 semesters here, does the 3rd one there, comes back at Christmas and then completes her 4th semester here.) With all the uncertainty we're thinking that maybe she should do the one year event planning program first and then the 2 year hospitality program starting in 2021 (and Disney the summer of 2022)?
I thought the only program that Canadians qualified for was the cultural exchange. What you are talking about is something altogether different.

I'm curious to know what the costs (rent deposit, visa etc.) are? My DD was going to apply to go this summer but decided to wait a year. We were discussing it just yesterday...she's done lots of research but doesn't know what the costs are.

I’ll try to remember as best I can. ;) My DD was on the J1 cultural exchange. She had been hired to work attractions. It was supposed to start May 11 and finish August 6.

Her costs in the process were:
— she had to train into Toronto for the interview — I think they were either Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver so some people have to fly
— after Acceptance, you need a formal document confirming registration from your university. They didn’t like her first one so had to pay for second. $30 each.
— need to upload a police check. She had one Current to the year, but it needs to be within six months of travel. Thats $30 in our region.
— you need to purchase medical insurance through Disney’s broker. That was $392.43USD
— you must stay in Disney Housing and pay a deposit for the first bit (Til your first pay check — afterwards your rent is deducted from pay) $380USD
— you need to get your own bedding, food, kitchen supplies etc.
— you must pay for the Working VISA $30
— they need flights down and back. The check in is in the morning so most people fly in the night before so add in a night at a Disney hotel and Uber to the offices.

They don’t really make much money. They can usually cover costs. It’s for the experience, and is usually their dream.

I was able to refund her hotel, and get credit for her flight. Disney credited back the housing fee pretty quickly. We are still waiting for insurance money. Disney wiped hands of that. We’ve had to deal with the Broker in NJ who is obviously short staffed right now & theres a lot of red tape. So far, none of the kids this year have received any of that money back yet. All the other forms are a wash. it would be nice if Disney had just deferred them for a year. But we have to start from scratch. — if they do it next year — I honestly Don’t know if they’ll continue the international program. Applications normally start Oct but i can’t see them recruiting with the borders as is.

As for the other program the OP mentioned. My younger DD is starting at Brock in the Fall in the tourism environment program. Brock and U of Waterloo offer that term co-op you mentioned. She was definitely going to apply for it. I don’t know any further about it. Unfortunately, im not sure that program will continue either — right now, we‘re not sure they’ll even be at university come Sept or whether it’s still online.

This is a little different from Brock & Waterloo. At those schools, it’s an internship with Disney & University of Florida. I think you go May-Dec of your third year and you get full credits for that term. So you don’t miss anything of your 4-year program & graduate at the same time. You room at Disney & attend Disney university courses. Great opportunity. Jobs are in hospitality. Very competitive application at her uni. I think they take only 15 students with priority for the Tourism majors.

Maybe Michigan has more info in their website. If she does end up applying, let us know the details. :thumbsup2

This is a little different from Brock & Waterloo. At those schools, it’s an internship with Disney & University of Florida. I think you go May-Dec of your third year and you get full credits for that term. So you don’t miss anything of your 4-year program & graduate at the same time. You room at Disney & attend Disney university courses. Great opportunity. Jobs are in hospitality. Very competitive application at her uni. I think they take only 15 students with priority for the Tourism majors.

Maybe Michigan has more info in their website. If she does end up applying, let us know the details. :thumbsup2
I actually did the tourism program myself (through St. Clair College) a few years ago, however I didn't do the Disney exchange. Several of the students I attended with did and they all had an incredible experience (which is why I knew it would be something my daughter would enjoy). Not familiar with Brock and Waterloo but it sounds basically the same other than its only a 2 year program rather than 4 years (so obviously not as in depth). They begin mid July and come home just after Christmas, and attend classes, etc. so the exchange takes up the whole 3rd of 4 semesters.

My son took travel and tourism in Windsor. First 2 semesters here , third in Disney [july to dec) and fourth back in Windsor
We had to send a 200 deposit for housing.
I believe also a fee for the application
Then the tuition because you cannot apply for osap. That was around 2600 American
The housing is ok. You share with 3 others. It’s tight. They have great transportation though from the housing complex
Your pay is not great. He did 3 months on mission space then 3 months on popcorn carts in Epcot
After they take housing and taxes out every week he might have been left about $100. You don’t always get full time hours
Great perks though like free admission to Disney parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter