Disney College Students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi newbie here. I will be taking a trip to Disney World in January. This will be my first trip and I am so excited to go. My favorite disney character is winnie the pooh and I cant wait to go to Pooh Corner. Hi everyone. :earsgirl:

Hi all, :wave:
I'm a newbie around here too. Joined a while back, but never had a chance to get into things around here. I'm a jr at the University of Tampa. Conveniently located 45 mins away from WDW. I just returned from a week long evacuation to WDW and am heading back in mid October. Looking forward to chatting with you other college age Disney Lovers!

Fish - yep, Dive Quest is great, been there, done that, got the t-shirt ;) As soon as I can save up enough money, I'm trying to get there again.

Dossie - Leominster, eh? I've got a few friends from school that were from Leominster. You happen to know Rich or Ben Levy or Todd Robbins? (seem to remember one of them saying that Leominster High is a fairly small school)

Eric, get ready to sing "It's a Small World"
I had a class with Rich, and a class with Todd.
Leominster was ok size, about 1700 kids. Not sure if they'd remember me, as we didn't really talk much.
I see you're a CPer, a friend of mine Elizabeth Branch is doing the CP as well. Do you know her?

Originally posted by DossieMarrone
Eric, get ready to sing "It's a Small World"
I had a class with Rich, and a class with Todd.
Leominster was ok size, about 1700 kids. Not sure if they'd remember me, as we didn't really talk much.
I see you're a CPer, a friend of mine Elizabeth Branch is doing the CP as well. Do you know her?

I worked with both Rich and Todd when I was at the Syracuse University campus TV station, HillTV.

Maybe it's just a short "cut" of "It's a Small World", because I haven't met Elizabeth yet.

DD has applied to the WDWCP for January. Anything we should know? Things to bring, not to bother with? How far does the money go? Pay doesn't seem hi enough to cover more than room and board.

Originally posted by Maryland Mom
DD has applied to the WDWCP for January. Anything we should know? Things to bring, not to bother with? How far does the money go? Pay doesn't seem hi enough to cover more than room and board.

Will she be driving down to FL or flying?

The one thing that I've probably used the most that did not come with the apartment is a little George Foreman grill. (well, and my laptop computer as well). All bowls/plates/cups/silverware/pots/pans are provided, but the foreman grill is really nice, because it's quick, and it (for me at least) seems to do a better job (less sticking, more evenly cooked) than a frying pan.

Make sure to bring enough clothes to last about 2 weeks. Laundry machines are available in the complex, it's $1 each for washer and dryer.

Don't worry about bringing rain gear, unless you've got a small umbrella that you'd like to bring. If your job is going to require you to be outside, you will be issued rain gear.

I'm happy I've got a digital camera with me. (then again, photography is one of my hobbies, and my current goal is to learn to take good fireworks pictures by the end of my program, so I really like not having to deal with film)

The apartments have cable, but do not come with a TV. One of my roommates brought a little 13 inch tv, with built in VCR. It's not very big, but we do end up watching it a lot. He also bought (once he got down here) a cheap DVD player to go along with the TV.

I'll send you a PM with $$ information.

a George Foreman Grill is a really good idea.... One of my roomates had one and it helped out alot for 6 guys who didnt really know how to cook :tongue:

Also make sure you pack some warm clothes... it can get pretty cold during the winter season... One day when I was ushering a Braves spring training game, they were handing out winter coats for us to wear..... (and about 2-3 days latter we were bakeing under the sun... Almost compaird to Up State NY's crazy weather) And then when it stays warm around the end of March/April, she can just mail them home.

Money Wise, I was lucky to break even (or close to it), but I didnt buy to many suvies (wish i did though). But others were not as lucky, and some were luckyer... it all depends on the spending habbit :D room and board isnt to bad, considering that all utilities are included.

And a Camra is a good idea, I really wish now that I took alot more pictures when I was there (I did steal my roomate's digital camra a couple of times and finally got the pictures I took from him this past spring... 2 years after we left :tongue: )

And if she does get accepted, have her visit disneyalumni.com or wdwcpinfo.com and meet some other people who got accepted, its is always nice to know people before you go down.

woohoo! finally found the place for us 20-something students!

though I will be taking this upcoming trip with my family- parents and mid-teenaged sister... boyfriend will be sulking at home :P

If I was him.... I would trying to sneek in your luggage:crazy:

Make sure you bring him back something nice!

Hi, I was accepted to the WDW College Program for this coming Spring. Is there anyone else in this post that's going at that time too? :earboy2: Also, is there anyone that has any advice on what I should pack? Thanx.

Congrads to you NICOLE. Hopefuly I will be going down to Florida in January too, I applied for an AI and should find out by the End of next week.

There are many great websites out there made by Alumni to help you on your way to Orlando. One such web page is made by a fellow DIS board member, check it out:

http://portal.disneycp.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=9&page=1

Thank Link should bring you write to a packing list (if not, go to disneycp.net and its under "Anticipation" on the left hand Menu), you do not need everything on it but should give you some Ideas. And remember, Wal-mart is just a bus/car ride away.

Just do a search for wdwcp on google for some more pages. Also www.disneyalumni.com has a very active message board so you can meet other Future, present and past CPers.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, or post it here, there are several Alumni on the board that will be more then happy to help you out :earboy2:

Comgratulations Nicole :) Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Disney Cast Member. :)

jimmybop said:
If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, or post it here, there are several Alumni on the board that will be more then happy to help you out :earboy2:

And current CPs too ;)

Feel free to PM me as well, or email me, or catch me on AIM (same SN as on here) ... If you ask nicely, I'd probably be willing to talk on the phone too.

(My college program ends Jan 5, but I'm staying with the company, so if you'd like to meet up once you get down here, that can be arranged too ... this is an open invitation to any CP that's reading this)

jimmybop said:
There are many great websites out there made by Alumni to help you on your way to Orlando. One such web page is made by a fellow DIS board member, check it out:

http://portal.disneycp.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=9&page=1

Thank Link should bring you write to a packing list (if not, go to disneycp.net and its under "Anticipation" on the left hand Menu), you do not need everything on it but should give you some Ideas. And remember, Wal-mart is just a bus/car ride away.

Thanks for that link to the packing list, it is REALLY helpful! :rolleyes:

Hello, this is my first time visiting Disney on my own and with my girlfriend. We are both 22 and were wondering what the alcohol situation was at CBR. Are there restaurants/eaterys that offer it? Is there an on site liquor store? What about the parks or downtown disney in general? Or is Disney primarily "dry"?

Straswell said:
Hello, this is my first time visiting Disney on my own and with my girlfriend. We are both 22 and were wondering what the alcohol situation was at CBR. Are there restaurants/eaterys that offer it? Is there an on site liquor store? What about the parks or downtown disney in general? Or is Disney primarily "dry"?
WDW has only 1 "dry kingdom" ... there are no alcohol sales in the MK, but every other park has alcohol, and I believe most of the resorts have at least 1 restaurant with a bar. I know that some of the DTD restaurants have bars. No on-site liquor store, but there are some off-site, and grocery stores in FL are allowed to sell beer.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
WDW has only 1 "dry kingdom" ... there are no alcohol sales in the MK, but every other park has alcohol, and I believe most of the resorts have at least 1 restaurant with a bar. I know that some of the DTD restaurants have bars. No on-site liquor store, but there are some off-site, and grocery stores in FL are allowed to sell beer.

"Dry Kingdom" is really dry, however! Epcot, drink around the world :cool1:

Some of the closest liquor stores are @ 535 coming out of the north entrance of DD. There is a Goodings there and to the left ABC liquor. To the right on 535 is Walgreens.

I miss 535, I use to drive it every day to Epcot as a CP, now I don't drive @ all :guilty:. Then again, I work on a ship so there is no room. If any CP's have any questions, I am available too through PM. I finished my program at Epcot and now work for Disney Cruise Line.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!