Disney Cruise question with points

traceyg

Mouseketeer
My daughter is graduating from Vet school and we are celebrating by going to WDW. I have booked a 2bd and a studio for the week because there were originally more people staying with us. Some folks are now staying in an AirBnB so I have a studio that we don't need.
Now, what to do with those points.... (they now expire March 1, 2025)
I found a cruise that would fit our schedule and point availability. I would book with points for myself and pay cash for my DH and DS (13). Their portion is $1500ish (total).
If I rented the studio room I think it would gain me about $1800, so dollar for dollar I think I am doing better with a cruise in THIS scenario. Plus it makes my guys' rates cheaper as well.
Since we are all going to Disney in the next few months I really want to put all of my discretionary income to it for now and book the cruise when we get back. I don't want to mess this up though. I could put this on a credit card or pull from savings, but I'd rather wait until we get back. The cruise is in September so the Rule of 4 isn't a problem.
Do different categories, like 7a, generally sell out? If it does sell out, can I buy OTU points to bridge a new category?
Can I book a lower category at a lower point cost, covering everyone's trip with points and then upgrade with cash later?
Can I book my trip on points and add my guys later?
What have I not thought of?

I’m afraid I can’t answer most of your questions, only that yes, cabin categories do sell out. I think you need to talk to the DVC cruise booking folks (MS). OTUP are purchased while in the process of booking a resort reservation at 7 months or less, so I don’t know about buying for a cruise at all, and I don’t know whether you can upgrade after booking. The one thing in your favor is that DCL fares for DVC are “frozen” at opening day prices, whereas for regular all-cash bookings they can and do rise as the cruise gets closer.

:tink: :tink: :tink: :tink: that all works out for y’all!

I’m afraid I can’t answer most of your questions, only that yes, cabin categories do sell out. I think you need to talk to the DVC cruise booking folks (MS). OTUP are purchased while in the process of booking a resort reservation at 7 months or less, so I don’t know about buying for a cruise at all, and I don’t know whether you can upgrade after booking. The one thing in your favor is that DCL fares for DVC are “frozen” at opening day prices, whereas for regular all-cash bookings they can and do rise as the cruise gets closer.

:tink: :tink: :tink: :tink: that all works out for y’all!
So are fares always discounted for DVC or just when you are mixing points and cash? This could be dangerous information in the wrong hands. (me!) lol

So are fares always discounted for DVC or just when you are mixing points and cash? This could be dangerous information in the wrong hands. (me!) lol
I believe it’s only when mixing points and cash. An all-cash booking would go through DCL directly, without any DVC involvement. It’s not really a DVC discount, it’s a price that’s set and doesn’t vary. Makes it easier for DVC to book!

I believe it’s only when mixing points and cash. An all-cash booking would go through DCL directly, without any DVC involvement. It’s not really a DVC discount, it’s a price that’s set and doesn’t vary. Makes it easier for DVC to book!
Thanks! Good to know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter