• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Cruisers with disabilities...

tigger2on

<font color=6699CC>I can't believe I read this WHO
Hi..
We cruised on the Disney Wonder in May 2001 and had a brillant time. Disabled dd was 4 and we had a HA verandah room for the cruise. We have not been bale to secure anything but an inside HA room this time. (We're booked to do the 14-day Eastbound CA - Fl cruise in August 2005).
Has anyone been on the Disney Magic in an HA inside Cabin?

I've always had a verandah room but passed by the inside staterooms for guests with disabilities recently on the Magic. They are very spacious and look to be quite accomodating. The only thing I would miss is being able to go out on a private verandah vs having to be outdoors in a public area. Because there is so little I can do on the ship, that balcony is very important to me...but as far as accomodations go, they look great. What are your concerns? Is it space or just the fact of being inside? I also was only able to get an inside stateroom for the 14 night cruise heading to Ca., but am waitlisted for a verandah stateroom which I wish I had booked to start with. I was thinking about $$ and by the time I changed my mind, the verandahs were already taken. ----Kathy

we are booked on the Magic Aug 2005 repo Cruise from CA-FL and are also waitlisted for verandah. We are just worried about falling over her chair/ stroller and the fact that we don't use a roll-in shower at home. She has a bath... roll-ins are too difficult without a toileting commode to sit her in. We had the shower and a bath in the cat. 6 HA room we had in 2001.
Good luck with your waitlisting.
Remember to post report and let us know how the trip to CA is!!!
We may not get to at all as of now..hoping to "find" so extra dough somewhere. Ryleigh's stroller arrived yesterday. It 's fantastic but also $4000!!!!:earseek:

You'll have more than enough room in that stateroom as it is as large as the Cat. 6. The Cat 6's are the only ones that also have a tub with the shower combination which is the best feature! I feel alot of folks who have small children with balance issues would prefer a tub as it's hard to hold a child in place, hold the shower nozzle, and not lose *your* balance! I saw your post on the DCL board as well and know you are waitlisted- I recommended that the other person who replied get on that waitlist as well since I've been aware of others on both those cruises who are wanting the HA verandah rooms vs. the inside ones. I don't expect to be able to upgrade but I'm hopeful and am saving the extra $ for it. I will have a service dog on that cruise and don't want to have to walk him for his "potty breaks", although there are spaces on the ship to do that ( I'm an "animal" person and will be more worried about the dog than my own self!). I'll be sure to post a report when we return.
By the way, 4K is alot for your daughter Ryleigh's stroller but don't feel too bad- my chair was 35K!!! We had a disabled foster child who used a stroller also and it maneuvered so much better than a chair. I hope you enjoy her new one.

It isn't a category 6 but it is on deck 6. Do you think that the insaide HA cabin has the tub? (6647) if so... then we would only take the upgrade if we had the spare $$ as the tub is most important to us. Otherwise, she wil not be p[roperly cleaned for 2 weeks. Not good for a child in a diaper!

No, unfortunately only the Cat 6's have the tub...they were even taken out of the Cat 3's on the Magic. ---Kathy

One other thing ( since I read that rather hostile reply to you on the other board). You might want to call up DCL and have them note on your reservation that you NEED a tub for your daughter for medical reasons..., that way if the other staterooms don't accomodate YOUR need, you could improve your chances of being moved vs. someone else who just wants a verandah. I've always understood that this is a need and not a want for your daughter. That information goes on your record which is read by the special services coordinator, who is wonderful and will do all she can to assist you. I am sure we'll be fine in an inside stateroom as I've also spoken to the coordinator. She was able to confirm that there will be places to walk the dog to relieve himself and someone to assist me with that, so I don't NEED a verandah, I just want one and am certainly willing to pay for it. I do need the tub as well but figure I can work something out to wash my hair and of course having a verandah would make it easier with having a service dog ( but not impossible otherwise). This trip will be a gift for one of my children and I'd do anything for her, including having both of us and a dog without a tub in an inside stateroom. :-)

We really don't need the verandah as we never really used it last time.... too much other stuff going on!
However the bath is a necessity, but I am sure if worse comes to worse someone will allow us to use a bath for a quick wash for Ry. Scratch42 and her daughter are going... I'm sure if I asked they'd be ok with it ( I hope) :o)

You have my utmost support, especially after I read the last very ugly post on the DCL board. I refuse to even give that person the 2cents she deserves for attacking you. I know how DCL does things and those that are willing to pay for an upgrade will be considered first - she won't be jumping ahead of a waitlist nor will anyone else. You aren't looking at a verandah as a luxury, but as a necessity. For me it's a little of both, but I'm willing to pay for both what I want and what I need. I've been reassured that my needs can be met with a Cat. 11 stateroom ( a little research was done via special services, but she was able to confirm that indeed the dog could be walked to appropriate areas ) but will choose to pay if the chance comes around for me to move since I really would prefer not to spend 14 days without a verandah. I can't imagine booking the least expensive stateroom every time, knowing that it didn't satisfy my "needs" and then expecting a free upgrade since I didn't take care of my own needs. In life, I don't expect my disability to garner me any special priveleges or discounts. People with disabilities have lobbied long and hard to be treated as equal as that's what most of us want, not a chance to take advantage of the system. I would be embarrassed and humiliated to have someone see another reservation of mine come in with the obvious expectation that I'm going to be moved to something more expensive than what I've reserved. On this cruise I've been waitlisted since Day 1...those staterooms were sold out since Day 1 including the handicapped suites ( way out of my price range anyway!) so like yourselves, I'm just thrilled to be going at all since this is a gift for one of my children. I'm sure someone will let you use their tub for Ryleigh or perhaps if there are unsold staterooms, DCL would let you use one for bathing her also if she can be carried in/out the door. The suggestion to bring an inflatable pool might actually work too.
By the way, in no way have you ever come across as martyred or burdened. Your child is obviously a joy to you. I just wanted to say that as you didn't deserve the ugly comments.

Just one comment as moderator, then I'll have some advice as nurse and mom of a child with a disability. I know the thread that is being referred to on the Cruise Board. Please no more comments about that situation - I'd rather not have a negative situation migrating from one board to another.

I've some suggestions in case you are not able to get a room with a tub.
Comfort Bath:I hope this link works. It's a product called Sage Comfort Bath and many hospitals have actually switched to them for patients who can't use a shower. They are kind of expensive for every day use, but they do the job really well for vacations. I used them on our last trip to Florida for bathing DD. We were at OKW, so we had a microwave to warm it, but you can also warm them with a heating pad or just use them at room temperature. For a small child, you probably would not need all 8 washcloths for one bath, the 4 cloth size might do just fine. I had some samples from a convention and I also got some at Walgreens drug stores. Here's a link to the product from Amazon with some reviews. Another company called Aloe Vesta makes a similar product.
They also have a rinse free shampoo cap. I've never tried that one on my DD (her hair is almost waist length), but they do use it in the hospital system where I work and patients say it feels really good. Again, it would be expensive for daily use, but might be helpful on vacation.
Make you own bag bath. Before these packaged varieties were available, hospitals made their own and called them "Bag Baths". For each bath, you would need 6-8 washcloths (get those from Housekeeping. If you can't get a tub, they should be able to supply you with extra washcloths as an accomidation), a one gallon zip lock bag, about 2-3 cups of warm tap water and about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of rinse free cleanser (you can get that from medical supply places and I've seen some marketed for use with babies.) Put it all in the zip lock bag and mix it together. Make your daughter comfortable on the bed, covered with a waterproof sheet or use the inflateable kid's pool idea on the bed if you want a bit of water and can't use the pool on the floor. Then use each washcloth on one area, get a clean one to wash the next area. Because you have a small quantity of water that is mostly contained in the washcloths, it doesn't get messy. Also, it's better than using a basin for a bed bath because you are never rinsing a washcloth out to get it clean; when it's soiled, you just get another one out of the clean bag.
Think outside the box. Just brainstorm and think of any possible way to get your DD clean. Some of the things might be silly, but a silly idea might lead to a reasonable one. One of our silly ideas was DH and I putting on swim suits and taking DD in the shower with us at OKW. It sounded silly, but it actually worked quite well (and made DD laugh a lot). One of our other silly ideas at home was leaving her in the wheelchair and tipping it backward over the tub to wash her hair. We tried it - the wheelchair gets a bit wet, so this is a before bed activity, but it's actually her favorite way to get her hair washed.

Don't worry- you'll not have anymore comments from me negative or otherwise. I hope the moderator on that board at least nips the thread in the bud as I'd not comment there either. I'm really tired of hostile things said to one another- it's not necessary to state one's opinions that way.

I agree.
I was not thinking anyone who has already been on this thread was planning on bringing any negative vibes, but just wanted to make a general reminder.

Sue, I just want to thank you for moderating this board! I really appreciate your calm, even-handed way of dealing with difficult situations and posters. This is one of the boards I enjoy participating in the most, and that is because you are such a great moderator!

Thank you!

They also have a rinse free shampoo cap. I've never tried that one on my DD (her hair is almost waist length), but they do use it in the hospital system where I work and patients say it feels really good.
Personally, I will never use this product again!! While it did feel good while the nurse used it on me (basically a scalp massage), it left my hair stringy and oily-looking. I couldn't wash my hair for 10 days after my operation (27 staples in my scalp) and this was done on day 4, so had to go 6 more days with it like that and absolutely hated it. My hair was much worse AFTER using this product.

My hair was much worse AFTER using this product.
Sorry to hear that. I have not personally used them, so I was going on what I heard. Two of the other hospitals in our system do use these and like them, but the patients they are using them on are often in ICU, so they may not be so concerned about how their hair looks and feels. Just so it feels somewhat cleaner than before. We don't use it in the individual hospital I work in, we felt it was too expensive and because of the type of hospital it is, our length of stay is longer. We were concerned that the shampoo caps might be OK for one tme, but make the hair too stringy after repeated uses. Sounds like we made the right choice.
I have personally used the Comfort Baths though and would recommend them. My DD has sensitive skin and had no problems with the regular Comfort Bath. There is a deoderant version that gave her a rash though, so I would not recomend that for anyone with sensitive skin.

Thanks to all for all your suggestions.
If worse came to worse, I'd sponge bath her and get a hotel room at one of the ports to wash her hair before i used any chemicals on her. However, we have had many genourous offers from peple who are also travelling when we are to use their bath tub while on the trip, so no matter what, she'll be able to get her hair washed a few times on board.
So no matter what, problem is sloved.
Sorry if I caused any problems... was not my intentions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter