disney deluxe dining child vs adult credit

So i was looking at the DxDDP today and noticed this nice little section:

"Your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan allows each person in your party to trade meals for special dining experiences that your family will remember for a lifetime. See the exchanges below:"

So it appears that Disney has no problem, and kind of encourages the trading of meals with people in your party.

Still morally gray to use for people outside your party, but it appears the kid credits only for kids issue is cleared up with Disney's own verbiage.

So i was looking at the DxDDP today and noticed this nice little section:

"Your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan allows each person in your party to trade meals for special dining experiences that your family will remember for a lifetime. See the exchanges below:"

So it appears that Disney has no problem, and kind of encourages the trading of meals with people in your party.

Still morally gray to use for people outside your party, but it appears the kid credits only for kids issue is cleared up with Disney's own verbiage.

I already posted on the other thread, but will say again, you are misinterpreting what that says. It means you can trade or use your credits for things like the Candlelight Procession, F!, and ROL packages.

I already posted on the other thread, but will say again, you are misinterpreting what that says. It means you can trade or use your credits for things like the Candlelight Procession, F!, and ROL packages.

Rereading it I can see it being taken either way. My hang up is on the work "trade". I can see a case for both scenarios. Luckily for me I am not in this situation. We will all be enjoying the regular dining plan this year.

Most restaurants will make children order from the children's menu.

This has not been our experience. If anything, most do not make children order from the kids menu, while a few do (I think maybe Via Nappoli & B&C?)

We had no problem doing this on two separate trips last year, and most servers/managers replied that on DxDP we could "use the credits how you want" when we asked about ordering and splitting adult meals for the kids. We also received great service at all of these places, so the staff were definitely OK with it.

This has not been our experience. If anything, most do not make children order from the kids menu, while a few do (I think maybe Via Nappoli & B&C?)

We had no problem doing this on two separate trips last year, and most servers/managers replied that on DxDP we could "use the credits how you want" when we asked about ordering and splitting adult meals for the kids. We also received great service at all of these places, so the staff were definitely OK with it.

We have done the deluxe plan 10 times and we're always told the kids order from the kids menu. You can't rely on always being able to order anything.

We have done the deluxe plan 10 times and we're always told the kids order from the kids menu. You can't rely on always being able to order anything.

I don't rely on anything, as we are always prepared to pay OOP or order kids meals for kids when necessary. We just have never had to do it, because we have never been told no during either 2-week trip in 2016. We will be doing another 2 weeks on DxDP next month, so we'll see how it goes and if anything has changed. I don't think this was possible pre-2016. Did you try it last year? If so, where?

Last edited:
I don't rely on anything, as we are always prepared to pay OOP or kids meals for kids when necessary. We just have never had to do it, because we have never been told no during either 2-week trip in 2016. We will be doing another 2 weeks on DxDP next month, so we'll see how it goes and if anything has changed. I don't think this was possible pre-2016. Did you try it last year? If so, where?

We go every two months and we're told kids order from the kids menu. Ours are small - don't know if that makes a difference. And it isn't a cost issue. We can always afford to pay for whatever they eat (we pay for the dining plan as wel, not free dining)....but sometimes my daughter wants something that isn't on a kids menu.

We go every two months and we're told kids order from the kids menu. Ours are small - don't know if that makes a difference. And it isn't a cost issue. We can always afford to pay for whatever they eat (we pay for the dining plan as wel, not free dining)....but sometimes my daughter wants something that isn't on a kids menu.

I would really like to know where, so that I can be prepared at those places. In May we had a 4 & 5 yr old and in Oct we had 4, 4, 6 & 6 year olds (in addition to 2 more 9 & under and 2 more 10+ on both trips) and still no issues with ordering adult meals to share. Not sure how cost or free dining got brought into it, but we can also "afford" to pay for what we eat. We pay for the plan (this trip our plan costs will be $4300 before tips) and we go to every meal prepared to pay OOP for whatever we need to, but so far have not had to (even the extra Mickey Puzzle that we ordered OOP at YSH was "absorbed" by the plan). We like to get an extra meal or two out of our credits if we can and our kids prefer the adult options more than getting kids meals anyway.

We were on the DxDp in November. Yachtsman, Cali Grill and Sci-Fi specifically encouraged our DD6 to order from the adult menu. At Cali Grill she was able to order a kids meal (she didn't want an adult entree) and an adult desert. At Sci-Fi she got an adult burger. Yachtsman she didn't want anything off the adult menu. The other restaurants we ate at didn't say anything but we didn't ask either as she wanted a kids meal.

My question is more this.... on DxDD with 2 adults 2 kids in our room on the plan and we have an adult friend coming for 2 days..... at a TS if my kids shared a kids meal could my friend use the other "kid credit" as her adult meal?
Technically everyone ordering off of correct aged menu and we would be using 4 credits but with just 5 people.
So can an adult use my child's credit at a meal?

My personal experience with the deluxe dining plan is that my DS, under age 10, was able to order off the adult menu anywhere we ate with no issue and it was often encouraged - likely because it increases the total tab which in turn increases the servers tip. When the bill is presented, the tally at the bottom shows remaining dining credits and they are pooled into one number. Our last trip was last August and we did it the year before that as well. All reports I have read state the same with the exception that some people say that non-Disney owned restaurants won't allow it because they tend to be by the book when it comes to dining plan redemption.

I agree that if Disney wanted to stop this, they easily could be separating out the TS credits by adult & child. It's already done on the regular dining plan, so a pretty quick and easy fix. Likewise, if they wanted to stop the pooling and use of adult QS credits for kids they could do that too. It's pretty tough to just enforce under 10 order from kids menu because technically an adult could claim they are eating both meals, so the only way to truly stop it is to segregate the credits.

Again, I'm just going by what is quoted on Disney's own web site. If you are not following their instructions, you are not using the plan in the way it is intended to be used.

I'm going to go ahead and un-watch this thread. People are free to do what they want.

Often times the server has encouraged my child to order off of the adult menu, so if you have that big of an issue with it, then take it up with the CMs. I'm pretty sure there are no dining plan police roaming the restaurants and this "loophole" really isn't hurting anybody. I can assure you Disney are still making money or they would change the way the credits are presented on the deluxe plan and everyone has equal opportunity to purchase the deluxe plan, so if you want in on the loophole, then you are welcome to pay for the deluxe plan.

Have gotten deluxe dining every single time I have been to Disney which is a lot... my kids order a mix of adult and kid meals depending on what they want.. sometimes they get an adult app and dessert and a kids meal... we have even done this at say yak and yeti... not owned by Disney.

Honestly if someone told me that my kid had to order from the kids menu, I would say fine I wanna use 2 credits on myself thanks... they can't stop me from ordering two meals for myself!

Also we do save money in deluxe dining were coming out 150.00 ahead and that doesn't even include the snack credits

My question is more this.... on DxDD with 2 adults 2 kids in our room on the plan and we have an adult friend coming for 2 days..... at a TS if my kids shared a kids meal could my friend use the other "kid credit" as her adult meal?
Technically everyone ordering off of correct aged menu and we would be using 4 credits but with just 5 people.
So can an adult use my child's credit at a meal?
yes, last September i did this many times, uses my daughter's credits for my friend... my daughter happily shared with us.

My niece will arrive 1 day before us and she has rented DVC for 1 day. She plans to get DxDD taking her 3 little kids to 2 character meals. They will use up 8 credits by the time we arrive next day. We will stay offsite this trip. Do you think Cape May or Boma allows her to use remaining 4 credits (1 adult & 3 kids) for 4 adult buffets? We are prepared to pay cash if they don't allow this. I think servers can see number of adults and kids on the plan even though DxDD credits are pooled. Her kids will be with other family members at the pool. They prefer to play than eat.

My niece will arrive 1 day before us and she has rented DVC for 1 day. She plans to get DxDD taking her 3 little kids to 2 character meals. They will use up 8 credits by the time we arrive next day. We will stay offsite this trip. Do you think Cape May or Boma allows her to use remaining 4 credits (1 adult & 3 kids) for 4 adult buffets? We are prepared to pay cash if they don't allow this. I think servers can see number of adults and kids on the plan even though DxDD credits are pooled. Her kids will be with other family members at the pool. They prefer to play than eat.

That should be allowed. It's basically become common practice to allow dining plan guests to use their credits for friends/family not on plan. The computer will only show 4 deluxe credits remaining, it won't have any idea about adult vs. child.

Interesting read. Answers a lot of my questions about using credits for other people. I am doing a two room trip in November. One room is 3 adults on the DxDP that will use the credits to pay for meals from the 2nd. It is cheaper and more 'food-wise' to go with one room at Dx compared to two at regular.

Interesting read. Answers a lot of my questions about using credits for other people. I am doing a two room trip in November. One room is 3 adults on the DxDP that will use the credits to pay for meals from the 2nd. It is cheaper and more 'food-wise' to go with one room at Dx compared to two at regular.
This is exactly what we are doing! I am getting 60 TS credits for about 1700$. Totally cheaper and much more food wise...my big saving was putting my 4 yr old on that plan in that room, so we will use her credits and pay OOP for her. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!