disney deluxe dining child vs adult credit

This thread is such a good read and verifies that I made the right decision for our family. We are a family of 8 with 3 children under 10. It was cheaper for us to upgrade the "free" qsdp to deluxe on the room with 1 adult and 3 kids under 10 than it was to upgrade both rooms to the regular dining plan, and we get a lot more food (14 additional TS credits, not to mention being able to order appetizers as well as desserts). We are staying 14 nights, so that will be a whopping 168 TS credits, 112 QS credits and 224 snack credits for the 2-week trip for both rooms. We have ressies for CRT, SoA and HDDR and even with all the others will have credits to spare. I have tried looking to see if a 2-bedroom villa with free regular dining plan would be cheaper, but there currently is no availability, so 2 rooms at CSRs it is...

We just came back from our trip and had the deluxe meal plan. It was never revealed on our tickets what was left for kids and adults just a total sum. I would love to treat our friends from Orlando to dinner if they could use my kids credits and us just pay out of pocket for the kids. We strictly used our credits for ourselves this past trip but didn't know it could be shared this way. Does this also work for dinner shows? I know they are 2 credits per person but I would love for us to take our friends to one of the dinner shows.

Yes, I am in the same boat. We are a family of 2 adults, 2 children and are considering upgrading to the deluxe dining plan to help our friends who are also coming but staying off property. We are staying 7 nights so with Deluxe dining plan we would have 84 total dining credits or 42 adult dining credits and 42 child dining credits? We were planning to share with our friends (3 Disney adults and 1 child). Just about all of our dining would be at Character meals so buffet/family style and the children ordering off the child's menu wouldn't be a problem. I just want to verify that we can use some of the children's credits for the extra Disney adult our friends have? So to clarify, with the deluxe dining plan the points are pooled for table service and not separated for child and adult? Thank you in advance!

I don't rely on anything, as we are always prepared to pay OOP or order kids meals for kids when necessary. We just have never had to do it, because we have never been told no during either 2-week trip in 2016. We will be doing another 2 weeks on DxDP next month, so we'll see how it goes and if anything has changed. I don't think this was possible pre-2016. Did you try it last year? If so, where?
how did v the DXDP work out for you?

how did v the DXDP work out for you?

We did a 1A/3C plan for 2A/3J/3C. We were told at each adult meal, without asking, that the kids could order off the adult menu on DxDP. Although we planned to do sharing, we ended up using a credit for each person this trip. We had an over 10 who ordered a kids meal at every meal (loves Mac n Cheese) and a 6-year old who ordered an adult meal at every meal (loves steak and large burgers with toppings). The rest of the kids switched depending on the menu. We did Sci-Fi, 50s PT, the Wave, Beaches & Cream (was able to get the Kitchen Sink with 4 adult dessert credits), BoG dinner and Rainforest at AK (we also did CRT, Akershus and Garden Grill). The only notable exceptions were that Rainforest would only give us and app AND entree for me and DH. The kids (even the ones over 10) could only order an adult app OR entree, plus an adult dessert. That seemed odd to us, but I think it had something to do with the number of adult and kids on the plan maybe? I was allowed to order two apps for myself instead of an app and entree, and we were also able to order ICEEs as our drinks there.

We also did QSDP and were able to get 3 snacks for 1 QS at the Epcot festival booths, and we were able to get a side item instead of a drink at our resort.

We did a 1A/3C plan for 2A/3J/3C. We were told at each adult meal, without asking, that the kids could order off the adult menu on DxDP. Although we planned to do sharing, we ended up using a credit for each person this trip. We had an over 10 who ordered a kids meal at every meal (loves Mac n Cheese) and a 6-year old who ordered an adult meal at every meal (loves steak and large burgers with toppings). The rest of the kids switched depending on the menu. We did Sci-Fi, 50s PT, the Wave, Beaches & Cream (was able to get the Kitchen Sink with 4 adult dessert credits), BoG dinner and Rainforest at AK (we also did CRT, Akershus and Garden Grill). The only notable exceptions were that Rainforest would only give us and app AND entree for me and DH. The kids (even the ones over 10) could only order an adult app OR entree, plus an adult dessert. That seemed odd to us, but I think it had something to do with the number of adult and kids on the plan maybe? I was allowed to order two apps for myself instead of an app and entree, and we were also able to order ICEEs as our drinks there.

We also did QSDP and were able to get 3 snacks for 1 QS at the Epcot festival booths, and we were able to get a side item instead of a drink at our resort.
nice! sounds like you really planned it well. we leave sept 6, if Disney closes any loop holes, it can't be till 2018 at this point, there's no way they can change the way DXDP is now...we got free dining bounce back at CBR so we get the Free TS Dining, upgrading 3 adults and 3 kids to DXDP, huge savings! We also got a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa SSR..lots of pixie dust!

So at rainforest they wouldn't give the adults desserts?

My last question posted weird. Could the adults get desserts at rainforest or just the kids?

nice! sounds like you really planned it well. we leave sept 6, if Disney closes any loop holes, it can't be till 2018 at this point, there's no way they can change the way DXDP is now...we got free dining bounce back at CBR so we get the Free TS Dining, upgrading 3 adults and 3 kids to DXDP, huge savings! We also got a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa SSR..lots of pixie dust!

While it is highly unlikely, they could close this at any time. It would just take an IT adjustment to how the credits are seen at the restaurant. With MBs, that might be easier than we think. After all, they already track the regular DDP by adult/child, so tracking the DxDDP shouldn't be that difficult.

While it is highly unlikely, they could close this at any time. It would just take an IT adjustment to how the credits are seen at the restaurant. With MBs, that might be easier than we think. After all, they already track the regular DDP by adult/child, so tracking the DxDDP shouldn't be that difficult.

My opinion on this is if were easy and they wanted to, the loophole would've been closed long ago. So that means it's either not that easy (i.e. not cheap) or it's not significant enough an issue (either they just don't care or it's minimal lost revenue).

I am considering DxDP for a three night trip over marathon weekend. We have friends doing the Dopey. My husband, daughter and I will be in our own room. The Dopey group will have three adults and three kids. We will be doing dinner every night with the group with at least two signatures for dinner. Using the calculators, it looks like my husband and I would use our TS credits up, but my daughter is never going to be able to use all of the kids credits (I know they aren't separated on the ticket). During the day, I would like to book some character/buffet meals. I would likely have an extra 1-3 kids depending on the buffet. It sounds like from what everyone is saying I could use all the extra credits to treat the kids to some buffets, correct?

My last question posted weird. Could the adults get desserts at rainforest or just the kids?

Sorry for the late response but yes they allowed us to get any desserts and we could also combine credits for the big dessert (forgot what its called, but they advertise it in the table).

I would likely have an extra 1-3 kids depending on the buffet. It sounds like from what everyone is saying I could use all the extra credits to treat the kids to some buffets, correct?

That is correct.

Sorry to start this up again, but is it still the case that kids and adult deluxe plan credits are pooled? And can be used anyway you wish.

I really thought w adding booze they would make the change to separate child and adult credits at the same time. If they are making coding changes, why joy

But they didn't. Qs and dxdp credits are pooled. I would use them the same way. Disney food is expensive. If you have kids and can stretch it further, good for you

I really thought w adding booze they would make the change to separate child and adult credits at the same time. If they are making coding changes, why joy

But they didn't. Qs and dxdp credits are pooled. I would use them the same way. Disney food is expensive. If you have kids and can stretch it further, good for you
I totally agree. I was convinced they would separate the credits when they rolled out the 2018 ddp with alcohol.

I totally agree. I was convinced they would separate the credits when they rolled out the 2018 ddp with alcohol.

Since they didn't do it with the alcohol, any bets on whether they'll finally do so with the "KIDS eat FREE" promotion for late summer? While it's not the best promotion out there, if you were doing the two room route with all the kids in one room, it would be a GREAT deal.

Since they didn't do it with the alcohol, any bets on whether they'll finally do so with the "KIDS eat FREE" promotion for late summer? While it's not the best promotion out there, if you were doing the two room route with all the kids in one room, it would be a GREAT deal.

I don’t think they will. I think they feel in the long run, it would cost them more if they change it.

If they do change, it would make sense to do at the beginning of the year vs mid year

The dxdp keeps people eating solely at Disney. Keeps servers employee, restaurants fuller and people feeling they got a good deal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter