Disney dining plan costs compared to paying on own

I tend to be the strange one that will eat super cheap if not on the dining plan and as a result I won’t get what I would truly enjoy. All in all it is usually close to a wash for us, but we have more enjoyable meals when using the dining plan as a result.

We went to Disney in October of 2013. We were there during FD, but we were only staying two nights - one day in the parks and MNSSHP, so I paid OOP for food.

I canceled a dinner and a breakfast because I couldn't bear to spend that kind of money.

Next trip will have DDP. And I don't care if it's more expensive, I don't have to hand over a credit card for $175 for dinner for 2. It's psychological, but it's there. I want to have a good time, not go "Well, we could just get QS and it would be so much cheaper...."

I tend to be the strange one that will eat super cheap if not on the dining plan and as a result I won’t get what I would truly enjoy. All in all it is usually close to a wash for us, but we have more enjoyable meals when using the dining plan as a result.

OK...what I surmise from this post is you are a LO to teenager caregiver still suffering from "Mommy Martyrdom".
May empty nesthood come soonest for you cuz I'm loving the next stage too;):cool:.

I liked the dining plan several years ago. We came out ahead just by eating a few steak dinners and a few character buffets. Now, with an eleven year old Disney "adult" who can't drink alcohol, no dessert, and the increased prices it's no longer a good deal for my family. We now choose less expensive restaurants with a splurge or two thrown in and come out ahead this way.

Where do you eat that costs $175 for 2 people?

Not sure about the person you're replying to, but as a Canadian, it's really easy to have a $175 CAD charge show up on your credit card for dinner for 2 at WDW. That's only $131 USD right now. Almost any dinner buffet with an alcoholic drink, tax and tip bring you over that.

We've done trips both with and without the dining plan, but we're going with it this year because we've chosen expensive meals and the math should work out in our favour. the convenience factor of not having to see that bill at the end of the trip is just a bonus.

We went to Disney in October of 2013. We were there during FD, but we were only staying two nights - one day in the parks and MNSSHP, so I paid OOP for food.

I canceled a dinner and a breakfast because I couldn't bear to spend that kind of money.

Next trip will have DDP. And I don't care if it's more expensive, I don't have to hand over a credit card for $175 for dinner for 2. It's psychological, but it's there. I want to have a good time, not go "Well, we could just get QS and it would be so much cheaper...."

I think I'm the same. I want to try the nicer restaurants and paying for it beforehand makes me feel better rather than just letting it add up and just going for a QS instead.

OK...what I surmise from this post is you are a LO to teenager caregiver still suffering from "Mommy Martyrdom".
May empty nesthood come soonest for you cuz I'm loving the next stage too;):cool:.

I am the same way. I am no martyr and I cannot even see teenager in my rear view mirror any longer, but I also cannot look past the prices on a menu. One meal out? I will order whatever I want to eat. 2? Okay, maybe I am sitill feeling flush. Three meals a day for a week? My heart cringes whenever I see the prices of meals in WDW. I would end u with chicken or pasta. And I cook chicken at home a lot. Steak for us is a treat because I tend to only cook lean protein at home, and the occasional time I am willing to cook a steak I cook sirloin. Vacation in WDW I want the food paid for, and then I can give myself permission to order the steak.

I am the same way. I am no martyr and I cannot even see teenager in my rear view mirror any longer, but I also cannot look past the prices on a menu. One meal out? I will order whatever I want to eat. 2? Okay, maybe I am sitill feeling flush. Three meals a day for a week? My heart cringes whenever I see the prices of meals in WDW. I would end u with chicken or pasta. And I cook chicken at home a lot. Steak for us is a treat because I tend to only cook lean protein at home, and the occasional time I am willing to cook a steak I cook sirloin. Vacation in WDW I want the food paid for, and then I can give myself permission to order the steak.

I'm another one who can't get past the prices and I don't even have kids - but I am an accountant. My husband insisted we get the DDP this trip because he knows I order cheap or try to change where we are eating to a cheaper place or convince him to not get the super expensive item or drink water. Luckily, by the way our trip is going, we are going to come out way ahead so I'm ok with it.

I'm another one who can't get past the prices and I don't even have kids - but I am an accountant. My husband insisted we get the DDP this trip because he knows I order cheap or try to change where we are eating to a cheaper place or convince him to not get the super expensive item or drink water. Luckily, by the way our trip is going, we are going to come out way ahead so I'm ok with it.

LOL! OI am an accountant as well. My DH insists on the plan more for me than him. He looks at the prices but will always order what he wants. He knows I will not say a word but end up with the chicken. I stopped tracking a long time ago, however my DD, also an accountant, tracks the food costs and then presents DH with the amount we would have spent as compared to what we actually spent. He knows that neither oneDD nor I would have ordered the more pricy meal, or would have foregone dessert, but that is not how he wants the family to dine on vacation.

Now that whole AI thing....He watched some news cast comparing two anchors on vacation, one AI and the other OOP. The OOP was less expensive. Of course it was! They were not feeding DH or DSIL!!!! 3 burgers, fully loaded at lunch, a ginormous breakfast daily, cocktails during the day and evening, and a big dinner. LOL!!!! Vacation is the only time DH will drink more than one beverage at meals, never mind during the day just because, and those fancy pants girly drinks he likes are wicked pricy! LOL!

That is for sure me as well. I love the convenience of not looking at the prices when I am there. I always get it for F & W as well because I would try very little of the offerings if I was paying OOP (I realize it may not make sense to everyone but it does to me.) the DDP gives me a stress free trip that otherwise would be stressful for me. Sometimes this works financially, and sometimes it doesn't (although most times it's a wash) but being stress free at the restaurants makes me happy. I also realize that some people will not understand this, and others would be stressed if they felt they were spending a penny more than they had to, so for them DDP might be added stress. Everyone should do the math, but also weigh if it will enhance your trip or detract from it, as those have genuine value.

Just my two cents!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter