Disney Dirty Pool

Would you want to give an employee a bonus, then find out the employee demands x amount an hour increase? It's a little bit of double dip. Especially when it's not all employees. Then the employees that didn't get the wage increase will be upset.
Either way it's a sticky mess that is going to be an HR nightmare.

The union is holding out for ~$15 an hour, from the current ~$10 for its 40,000 members. (Sept 2017 news articles found on Google)
Does the current contract the union is working under support direct payments from the corporation to rank and file, without specific approval by the union representatives? My limited view of employment contracts would not believe this to be the case, that any communication or benefit between union members and Disney would have to be approved by the union.

Are you of the belief that a corporation can address union members directly, without the approval of the union hierarchy?
If so: dirty pool by Iger
If not: Brilliant public relations ploy by Unite Here, to block payment and blame Disney because Unite Here is working "strictly to contract" during the dispute.

Would you want to give an employee a bonus, then find out the employee demands x amount an hour increase? It's a little bit of double dip. Especially when it's not all employees. Then the employees that didn't get the wage increase will be upset.
Either way it's a sticky mess that is going to be an HR nightmare.
I dont understand what one has to do with the other?

I dont understand what one has to do with the other?
If you owned a company, and you decided to give one of your employees a bonus, because you thought they earned it.......then as you are about to sign that paperwork, his/her supervisor came in letting you know that the same employee just asked for a raise(they didn't know a bonus was coming). The money was likely allocated one way or another to go to increase wages for that employee.

In this case, the left hand probably didn't know x amount was on the table for the wage increase. The right hand probably didn't know the bonus was coming. Of course the union wants both, why wouldn't they. The company sees a bonus as a one time increase in wage, and a pay raise as an ongoing thing. They likely haven't allocated the money twice.

The bonus was based on previous labor rates, not future rates. You want that raise, sorry the bonus isn't part of that. You give union A wage increase and a bonus, suddenly Union B, and C suddenly demand an increase as well. It's an age old struggle between a company and it's employees.

This is a real jerk move by Disney. If they wanted to make the bonus contingent on the a new union agreement being in place by Aug 31, then they should have said so from the beginning. Disney positioned the one-time bonus as being linked to the recent changes in tax law instead of being tied to CM compensation or performance. While I understand that Unite Here may have had a part to play in Disney's "pull back" by demanding that Disney not include the bonus as part of the calculus in their future labor compensation talks (rightly so, I think), Disney could have done the pragmatic thing and not try and use the bonus to strong-arm the CMs into accepting a labor deal. Disney is not doing themselves, or anyone else, a favor by antagonizing the CMs by this latest move. The CMs rejected the last proposed agreement by 93%, so how is this going to help things???

Additionally, Disney's plan to split the bonus into two $500 payments, with the 2nd coming later in the year is also sketchy, because they can claim they're paying all of their qualifying CMs "$1,000" but they know that constant turnover will save them a good chunk of change because a lot of CMs that would have qualified to receive the 2nd $500 will have departed the company by then. Meanwhile, if the DIS Unplugged is correct, Universal employees have already received their full $1K.

While I'm not a big fan of unions on the whole, and I think the reported $15/hr that Unite Here is demanding is a "bridge too far", there's a heck of a lot of room to negotiate between the union's position and the mere 50 cents/hr increase that Disney was offering. Given that it's reported that the hospitality labor market in Orlando is so "tight" right now, I cannot figure out Disney management's thinking on this issue. If there's a better way to tick off good employees who can find work elsewhere and make them hate their employer and make them leave... well I cannot think of a more ideal negotiating strategy.

1) Disney announced a $1,000 bonus to all employees as a result of Trump Tax Bill.
2) Now, Disney wants to hold the bonus unless the union signs a new contract at WDW proposal.
3) Kind of dirty-pool, Ogre (I mean Iger).

It's called negotiating. Nothing says they cannot do it. Fair? Don't know Florida laws but workers could do a slow down at least. Airline employees do it by following rules and procedures to the book. Shortly a settlement takes place

Only to those sympathetic to unions. Others are like, 15 bucks to watch folks at fast pass entrances, for real yo?
I'm sorry, but I don't fit that description. I've never been one to sing "Look for the Union label", but that doesn't mean that I cannot think that sometimes a union has a valid point. Taking a previously announced bonus and then saying "Oh, by the way, we're going to consider backing that bonus out of whatever additional compensation we might agree to pay you guys for 2018 as part of any new contract... so you might not really end up with much extra money in the end" is a move that's not going to be play well with lots of folks, union households or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter